Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 05:52:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Code reviews for altcoins  (Read 2102 times)
earlz (OP)

Activity: 439
Merit: 250

mmmmmm

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 04:24:32 PM

Hello,

I just wanted to alert people to some stuff I've been doing for a while, but just now is being made public. I code review coins. Some of the reviews are requested, some I do on my own.

For reference, I only analyze the source code, it matching the ANN, and sometimes the blockchain with a local or remote block explorer. I do not analyze binary wallets, nor try to evaluate how trust worthy a developer is (though I sometimes point out when a developer is especially good or bad)

You can see my listing of reviews on Github.

Note, all of the reviews are best effort and not at all guaranteed to be exploit free. I only try to find the more obvious exploits.

My old thread was moved to the marketplace and is here. I'm not trying to really sell this as a service, and would like continual discussion around my reviews (think I am wrong about something? Tell me!) and generally I am looking to ensure coins with critical bugs or exploits are called out on it.

Check out my full list of Coin Reviews
Currently working on the Qtum Project
My Skype account earlzdotnet has been compromised. Please report to me any usage seen from it, or from the email earlz@earlz.biz.tm
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 04:28:35 PM

seems like a decent service well done  - will check it out .

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
muddafudda
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1022

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 04:43:47 PM

Cool. What you really should do is drop the git release repository against say the LTC or BTC source and analyse the differences.

You should also keep a copy of the launch source and update it against releases if you want to really look into it. By that I mean look at gits that are wiped clean or moved from the initial launch. Dig and you will find   Grin
earlz (OP)

mmmmmm

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 04:55:52 PM

Cool. What you really should do is drop the git release repository against say the LTC or BTC source and analyse the differences.

You should also keep a copy of the launch source and update it against releases if you want to really look into it. By that I mean look at gits that are wiped clean or moved from the initial launch. Dig and you will find   Grin

It's not possible to effectively compare most coins directly to Bitcoin. Most coins are forked from peercoin, or novacoin, or novacoin with some modifications, or changes backported, or a weird version in between releases. So, I match them up against coins that have been out a relatively long time and never had any serious problems.

I'd rather not go into detail about everything I exactly look at and compare against, because I do not want it to be easier for scam developers to know where to hide things. And I have local copies of every coin's git repository that I review. If a git repository is ever wiped clean, deleted, etc, I can easily upload my own local copy. But, doing it for every coin would just be too much of a pain with my slow upload speed.

Also, if anyone has a known source of USBCoin or Ninjacoin (before exploits were patched), I'd love to get a copy of it

My Skype account earlzdotnet has been compromised. Please report to me any usage seen from it, or from the email earlz@earlz.biz.tm
muddafudda
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1022

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 04:58:50 PM

You should also keep a copy of the launch source and update it against releases if you want to really look into it. By that I mean look at gits that are wiped clean or moved from the initial launch. Dig and you will find   Grin

It's not possible to effectively compare most coins directly to Bitcoin. Most coins are forked from peercoin, or novacoin, or novacoin with some modifications, or changes backported, or a weird version in between releases. So, I match them up against coins that have been out a relatively long time and never had any serious problems.

I'd rather not go into detail about everything I exactly look at and compare against, because I do not want it to be easier for scam developers to know where to hide things. And I have local copies of every coin's git repository that I review. If a git repository is ever wiped clean, deleted, etc, I can easily upload my own local copy. But, doing it for every coin would just be too much of a pain with my slow upload speed.

Also, if anyone has a known source of USBCoin or Ninjacoin (before exploits were patched), I'd love to get a copy of it

They know its a pain that's why they do it.

Obviously you would just use the base LTC, BTC, Novacoin, Darkcoin etc.

Good work.
almightyruler
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1092

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 05:05:38 PM

This is great. Thanks for sharing these reviews.
earlz (OP)

mmmmmm

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 01:16:09 AM

I've updated the github repository with some new reviews:

usecoin

xuro

solstice

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 02:17:58 AM

I've updated the github repository with some new reviews:

usecoin

xuro

It would be great if you will create a list of all the coins that you've been reviewed in the OP.
almightyruler
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1092

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 04:38:53 AM

* MINOR: Uses floating point in critical code

I'm curious about why this is considered minor. Could there be the potential for a fork, say between a Windows and Mac executable built with different compilers, that don't come up with exactly the same value for the next retarget/reward etc? Or is it more likely that floating point between these mainstream platforms will be fine, and this is only likely to affect oddball systems?
earlz (OP)

mmmmmm

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 02:48:56 AM

I've added some more coin reviews:

axron
rootcoin
greenbacks
fibre
petro
clustercoin

earlz (OP)

mmmmmm

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 12:49:50 AM

Added a lot of reviews, but I'm too lazy to try to list them all. Check them out and see if your favorite coin is listed!

BitJohn

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

@Bit_John

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 02:08:48 AM

You should also keep a copy of the launch source and update it against releases if you want to really look into it. By that I mean look at gits that are wiped clean or moved from the initial launch. Dig and you will find   Grin

They know its a pain that's why they do it.

Obviously you would just use the base LTC, BTC, Novacoin, Darkcoin etc.

Good work.

Make the comparison to BTC or LTC a % difference and list them all haha
Willisius

Activity: 364

I'm really quite sane!

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 02:27:12 AM

Very nice analyses. I was wondering why someone would provide such a great service until I saw on your site that you're a shibe.
coinsolidation

Activity: 294

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 03:03:18 AM
Last edit: September 23, 2014, 03:32:18 AM by coinsolidation

Earl,

Fantastic service, thank you so much. I just found your report and immediately fixed the minor bug from Bitcoin you noted.

I've submitted an issue on your repo with link to code to reflect this.

Thanks again,

Mark

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)
earlz (OP)

mmmmmm

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 12:44:00 AM

Lots o' coins added, even a few fresh ones

https://github.com/earlz/coinreviews

ProTradeZ44

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 12:48:39 AM

Lots o' coins added, even a few fresh ones

https://github.com/earlz/coinreviews

Can you do one for ARCH?

https://github.com/archcoin/archcoin

https://github.com/archcoin/archcoin/graphs/code-frequency
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 12:59:16 AM

This could be very valuable intel in operation shitcoin cleanup and clean out.

Bump

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
earlz (OP)

mmmmmm

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 01:00:08 AM

I've been wanting to get to that one.. So I probably will get to it in a few days. A modest tip of some sort would get it pushed to the front of my queue though.

earlz (OP)

mmmmmm

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 01:03:41 AM

This could be very valuable intel in operation shitcoin cleanup and clean out.

Bump

I keep archives if every coin I review. I see no need in publishing them though unless they come into question. It would take extra time for each coin to create a github repo for it and publish and upload and all

coinsolidation

Activity: 294

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 03:29:27 PM

I've been wanting to get to that one.. So I probably will get to it in a few days. A modest tip of some sort would get it pushed to the front of my queue though.

ARCH has heritage from https://github.com/novacoin-project/novacoin/releases/tag/v0.4.4.6-nvc-update4 - no novacoin commits / fixes after this date are in the source. It may be a fork of a coin which forked this version of NovaCoin.

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: