Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:25:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reuters: Our girl, Naomi O'Leary, did it.  (Read 6570 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2012, 01:18:40 AM
Last edit: April 02, 2012, 01:33:36 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/01/traders-bitcoin-idUSL6E8ET5K620120401

Employees at almost all the major international banks and numerous trading and investment firms have shown interest.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 01:21:00 AM

Ah! I was just thinking about this.

You did well, Bruno.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2012, 01:31:16 AM

You did well, Bruno.

I can't believe she mentioned Atlas and Matthew. Still reading.
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2012, 01:36:20 AM

Great article...

Two questions:

1. Whos Naomi O'Leary?
2. "Zhou Tong, who is professionally advised by a forex trader and the head of a Singapore-based algorithmic trading firm, now lends his name to international slang."

Who is this head of Singapore-based algo trading firm or what is the firm?

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 01:36:42 AM

You did well, Bruno.

I saw a mention of what appears to be Bigpiggy01 in there. Very interesting article.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Eveofwar

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 01:37:51 AM

You did well, Bruno.

I saw a mention of what appears to be Bigpiggy01 in there. Very interesting article.

Awesome read !  They made time for a gigavps section ?!  Was a nice closure.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2012, 01:46:03 AM

Great article...

Two questions:

1. Whos Naomi O'Leary?
2. "Zhou Tong, who is professionally advised by a forex trader and the head of a Singapore-based algorithmic trading firm, now lends his name to international slang."

This will answer your question on who is Naomi O'Leary: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65827.0
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 01:59:11 AM

"Users can leverage their bets up to a ratio of 10:1 on Bitcoinica, meaning they can lose more than their initial investment."

Please someone explain her the leverage concept, nice article anyway.  Smiley

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
guruvan

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 02:05:36 AM

Great article...

Two questions:

1. Whos Naomi O'Leary?

lulz - he's the lead dev @ Bitcoinica. Forced Liquidation on BTC/USD positions are now referred to as being "zhoutonged"

he's used the word himself. i.e. Forced Liquidation Price is "zhoutonging price"

mwahahaha!

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 02:08:48 AM

Great article...

Two questions:

1. Whos Naomi O'Leary?

lulz - he's the lead dev @ Bitcoinica. Forced Liquidation on BTC/USD positions are now referred to as being "zhoutonged"

he's used the word himself. i.e. Forced Liquidation Price is "zhoutonging price"

mwahahaha!
Re read the quote - it says that Zhou Tong is advised by someone, and that that someone is a forex trader and head of the singaporian trading firm. Unless it was a typo on her part.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 02:13:10 AM

APRIL FOOLS?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 02:18:53 AM

A good read. Facts are fuzzy about a lot of things these days, but overall it seems to be a fair assessment.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 02:19:30 AM

"Users can leverage their bets up to a ratio of 10:1 on Bitcoinica, meaning they can lose more than their initial investment."

She is correct. Your English grammar is wrong, however.

The position is auto-liquidated when it reaches the Zhoutonging price. However, if there is insufficient liquidity to perform liquidation at the Zhoutonging price, then the liquidation price will need to go beyond this boundary. Now, when liquidation occurs, the speculator will be left with a negative balance in their account. They will owe Zhoutong money and will have lost more money than their initial investment. This is impossible without leverage.

gusti
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 02:28:35 AM

She is correct. Your English grammar is wrong, however.

The position is auto-liquidated when it reaches the Zhoutonging price. However, if there is insufficient liquidity to perform liquidation at the Zhoutonging price, then the liquidation price will need to go beyond this boundary. Now, when liquidation occurs, the speculator will be left with a negative balance in their account. They will owe Zhoutong money and will have lost more money than their initial investment. This is impossible without leverage.

I never said my english was perfect, but surely my spanish is *far* better than yours, you grammar nazi.  Wink
negative balance has nothing to do with leverage, if liquidity is inexistant at liquidation time, you also can go
negative with 1:1, 1:100 or whatever.

bc

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 02:34:19 AM

That may be the best outsider article I've ever read about Bitcoin. She really seems to have done her homework.

Kudos to everyone who helped her.

"Democracy is the original 51% attack." - Erik Voorhees
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 02:41:27 AM

The Royal Canadian Mint, for example, is exploring how to issue digital currency in the future. Its chief financial officer Marc Brule said Bitcoin's biggest problem was that it is not backed by anything.

"The system we would bring in would be backed by a fund," he told Reuters.

I heard this argument before, but I don't get it. What does it mean if a currency is "backed by a fund"? A fund of what kind?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 02:51:32 AM

The Royal Canadian Mint, for example, is exploring how to issue digital currency in the future. Its chief financial officer Marc Brule said Bitcoin's biggest problem was that it is not backed by anything.

I heard this argument before, but I don't get it. What does it mean if a currency is "backed by a fund"? A fund of what kind?
It probably means they will scan Canadian dollars and make lots of digital jpegs.  Cheesy

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 03:03:54 AM

Unless its CEF , the gold silver fund of Canada, otherwise its no different from any types of bank credit.
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 03:05:25 AM
Last edit: April 02, 2012, 03:15:30 AM by cunicula

I never said my english was perfect, but surely my spanish is *far* better than yours, you grammar nazi.  Wink
negative balance has nothing to do with leverage, if liquidity is inexistant at liquidation time, you also can go

Naomi is completely correct that the opportunity to leverage investments on Bitcoinica makes it possible to lose more than your initial investment.

When you borrow to buy assets, this is called leverage.

If you take a short position you have leverage. You are borrowing the currency you are shorting and the value of your debt can grow to exceed the value of your holdings. This is when forced liquidation occurs.

If you take a long position. You don't need to have leverage. You can buy the currency you are investing in. If you do this, you take on no debt and there is no way for forced liquidation to occur.

Leverage is necessary for forced liquidation to occur. To end up with a negative balance, you need to take on leverage.

If you are heavily leveraged up, then, fixing your initial investment and the degree of illiquidity when forced liquidation occurs, the size of your negative balance will be proportional to your leverage, i.e. if you leverage up 10:1 you will end up with a negative balance ten times as large.

gusti
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 03:14:50 AM

I never said my english was perfect, but surely my spanish is *far* better than yours, you grammar nazi.  Wink
When you borrow to buy assets, this is called leverage.

Sure, if you take a short position you have leverage. You are borrowing the currency you are shorting and the value of your debt can exceed your initial investment.

If you take a long position. You don't need to have leverage. You can buy the currency you are investing in (or loan this currency to the market maker), you can take on no debt and then there is no way for forced liquidation to occur. Of course you can take on leverage if you want to and then it is possible for forced liquidation to occur.

Leverage is necessary for you to end up with a negative balance because of illiquidity. If you are heavily leveraged up, then, fixing your initial investment and the degree of illiquidity when forced liquidation occurs, the size of your negative balance will be proportional to your leverage, i.e. if you leverage up 10:1 you will end up with a negative balance ten times as large.

Naomi is completely correct that the opportunity to leverage your investment on Bitcoinica makes it possible to lose more than your initial investment. This is impossible with Mt.Gox, for example, where you are only allowed to buy and sell and not to borrow.

I think you are still mistaken on what is the cause of going negative on bitcoinica. is not the leverage,
it's the illiquidity when your position is forcible closed. but that is a bitcoinica issue, not a leverage issue.
e.g. you can never ever go negative in a forex broker, even with a 400:1 leverage.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: