Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:27:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reuters journalist looking for input on Bitcoin  (Read 5348 times)
mcorlett (OP)
Donator

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 04:11:40 AM
Last edit: February 27, 2012, 01:09:28 PM by mcorlett

Naomi O’Leary, an Irish British (sorry!) journalist writing for Reuters, is doing a piece on Bitcoin, and is looking for some input from us, the community, on how we use bitcoins, and how we initially discovered them.

Let's all take a couple of minutes out of our day to chip in with a response, and make sure we get an accurate portrayal of Bitcoin and our wonderful community this time. "Hacker currency" no more!

PM Naomi.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2012, 05:43:09 AM

Naomi O’Leary, a British journalist writing for Reuters, is doing a piece on Bitcoin, and is looking for some input from us, the community, on how we use bitcoins, and how we initially discovered them.

Let's all take a couple of minutes out of our day to chip in with a response, and make sure we get an accurate portrayal of Bitcoin and our wonderful community this time. "Hacker currency" no more!

PM Naomi.

We will soon see if this is the same Naomi that works at Reuters, for I PM'ed her letting her know that I Tweeted her and requested a DM from her via Twitter, thus proving that she's the same Naomi. The last thing we would want is to have a rogue reporter, or somebody claiming to be such, amassing information from users, then possibly a user getting to comfortable with that individual and start offering up a mess of personal and unrelated information to their advantage. I offer no apologies for being skeptical, and for what, and how, I've approached this is not detrimental by any stretch of the imagination.

~Bruno~ (not Jacqueline Theresa Bruno)
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2012, 12:58:18 PM

Off topic split here
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65876.0

Let's keep it on track folks, don't want her to have to read 2 pages to find one real/relevant post  Wink

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
mcorlett (OP)
Donator

Activity: 308

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 02:03:38 PM

We have confirmation.

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2012, 02:37:13 PM

I sent her my story. I hope it helps. Smiley

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2012, 05:44:31 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2012, 06:02:32 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

First it was the joint, now you, mcorlett, stealing my thunder.  Grin I hereby confirm this confirmation.

Hi Bruno,

Don't worry, I'm happy to follow you! It's the same Naomi, I replied to you on Twitter about an hour ago.

Do you have any tips for me on who would be good to talk to on this piece?

Thanks,

Naomi

I'll reply in kind, then post what I've penned on this thread.

If memory serves me, I believe that at least two threads exists consisting of how users first discovered Bitcoin. Would somebody be so kind as to hunt, then link them here while I pen my reply? I'm sure some gems could be gleaned from within.

Thanks in advance,

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2012, 06:52:47 PM

As promised, my PM reply to Naomi O'Leary with Reuters:

Hi Bruno,

Don't worry, I'm happy to follow you! It's the same Naomi, I replied to you on Twitter about an hour ago.

Do you have any tips for me on who would be good to talk to on this piece?

Thanks,

Naomi

Naomi

It's kind of you to consider writing an article that'll introduce Bitcoin to your fine readers of Reuters, a publication I truly enjoy reading, albeit only the easy-to-load online version.

To take into consideration your valuable time, a dedicated thread started by mcorlett, found here, could act as your one-stop-source for your copy. As the thread becomes populated, I'm sure you'll even be able to glean nuggets from it.

As far as your request from me is concerned, I offer up two names: Tony Gallippi and Roger Ver, of Bit-pay Merchant Solutions and MemoryDealers, respectively.

Granted, it may not be Bitcoin related or accepting type business entities you seek but, if you drop them a quick line, I'm sure they'll provide you adequate fodder. At the very least, compare the list of names they provide with those of users who have gracefully sent you their stories, and I'm sure you'll be golden.

Sincerely,

Bruno

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 06:55:08 PM

First it was the joint, now you, mcorlett, stealing my thunder.  Grin I hereby confirm this confirmation.

I retract my thunder.
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2012, 07:25:11 PM

I am traveling and limited to iPhone fr another day. Will send a thorough reply when I get to a computer

Tony

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Isepick

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 08:13:05 PM

Zhoutong might be an interesting candidate for her to talk to. The sociopolitical implications of him opening up Bitcoins to the Chinese are staggering...and he's just a kid in Singapore. Although it may be wiser to hold up on the speculation side of things for a bit. Still, he is a pretty good success story, even if you disagree with the effects his service has on the market.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2012, 08:34:21 PM

Zhoutong might be an interesting candidate for her to talk to. The sociopolitical implications of him opening up Bitcoins to the Chinese are staggering...and he's just a kid in Singapore. Although it may be wiser to hold up on the speculation side of things for a bit. Still, he is a pretty good success story, even if you disagree with the effects his service has on the market.

Interesting thought. I wish Chicago Cabbie was fully on board, for I know as a fact his story would make interesting copy.
bitstarter

Activity: 300

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2012, 11:44:43 PM

You might want to mention this story about how bitcoin saved someone from a "crippling injury" :

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=64287.0

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 11:55:40 PM

You might want to mention this story about how bitcoin saved someone from a "crippling injury" :

Well, it's more like bitcoin help facilitate an exchange.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2012, 02:13:23 AM

Naomi, if the admins haven't done it already upon reading this post, you can formally request to be whitelisted, thereby enabling you to fully interact with the rest of the forum, opposed to being limited as a Newbie.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2012, 07:58:44 PM

Update:

Naomi has been whitelisted, thereby allowing her free reign of the forum.

And of special interests to fellow Bitcoiners living in the UK, the following is an except from a PM she sent me:

I've been reading online about how Bitcoin works and I have downloaded the program. I think the best way to truly understand how it works would be for someone to show me how they use it. I'd be really interested in meeting some Bitcoin users/miners in London, who are happy to introduce me to the system.

I suggest that everybody keeps filling her request, for you'll never know what story(s) she'll grad for her copy.

~Bruno~
Koekiemonster

Activity: 321

Bitbuy.nl!

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 11:58:49 PM

I don't see how that has anything to do with bitcoin itself, fun story nevertheless.

I suggest she speaks to Erik Voorhees as well since I've been impressed by his stories and posts. He always is spot-on and explains everything as clear as you'd like it to be. I'm pm'ing her now.

https://www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
Bitcointalk topic over Bitbuy!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2012, 02:41:59 AM

I don't see how that has anything to do with bitcoin itself, fun story nevertheless.

I suggest she speaks to Erik Voorhees as well since I've been impressed by his stories and posts. He always is spot-on and explains everything as clear as you'd like it to be. I'm pm'ing her now.

This:

Hello,

I'm a journalist for Reuters, and I'm writing an article about Bitcoins. I plan it to be an introductory piece, explaining to a broad audience what Bitcoins are, how they work, and why they are exciting.

I'm interested in talking to people who use Bitcoins who can explain how they are useful and how they got interested in using them.

I'd love to hear from you - send me a PM if you're interested in helping me out!

Naomi
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 03:10:00 AM

This:

Hello,

I'm a journalist for Reuters, and I'm writing an article about Bitcoins. I plan it to be an introductory piece, explaining to a broad audience what Bitcoins are, how they work, and why they are exciting.

I'm interested in talking to people who use Bitcoins who can explain how they are useful and how they got interested in using them.

I'd love to hear from you - send me a PM if you're interested in helping me out!

Naomi

Shocked  Do the doctor one, do the doctor one!
bitprotection

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 11:20:47 PM

This:

Hello,

Naomi

Shocked  Do the doctor one, do the doctor one!

+ 1 Dr. Dr.!

Working on protecting the community!
naomioleary

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 11:36:53 AM

Hello everyone.

Thanks so much for setting up this forum for me. Bitcoiners have proved so helpful and welcoming! Thanks to all.

I've received a lot of responses from everywhere from Washington to Israel to China. I'm currently looking to meet up with people who use Bitcoin in or near London, so I can see for myself how it works. I'm especially keen on meeting anyone who actually has a mining operation - I've been hearing about dry ice and various kinds of modifications, it all sounds fascinating, I'd love to see one for real.

Are there any ex-forex traders out there? These characters keep getting mentioned, but I have yet to hear from any.

ps. mcorlett - I'm actually not British, I'm from the Republic of Ireland, but that's not important.

Naomi
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: