Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:48:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S3 batch 6 overclocking  (Read 22991 times)
virtualFudge

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 11:55:35 PM

Thank you.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=699064.msg8370071#msg8370071

That's the instructions just in case anyone else has the same question. Took me a while to find.

Now for some more probably already answered questions.

Do I have the firmware you mentioned in the beginning of this thread called cgminer 4.6.1?

Has anyone made a table of power usage at different frequencies?
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pekatete (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 12:07:52 AM

Thank you.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=699064.msg8370071#msg8370071

That's the instructions just in case anyone else has the same question. Took me a while to find.

Now for some more probably already answered questions.

Do I have the firmware you mentioned in the beginning of this thread called cgminer 4.6.1?

Has anyone made a table of power usage at different frequencies?
Yep, that is the post.
cgminer 4.6.1 does NOT come with the firmware so you'll need to follow the instructions to install it.
There are tables of power usage at different frequencies floating around, but again the best reference is the S3 thread.

PS. I'll add the info in the link about adding frequecies to the dropdown to the OP at a later time.

virtualFudge

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 03:00:03 AM

Alright. One final question before I go to bed. I've been messing with overclocking my miner all day, and I've found that running it at 250M delivers expected results. It runs at an average of 505 Ghash/s with low temps and low hardware errors. As soon as I kick it up to 256.25M, my temps stay down and it shows all 'o's for the status, but I get tons of hardware errors and low hash rates. I''m getting half as many hardware errors as accepted shares and about 480 Ghash/s. Why is this?
By the way, thanks for helping out this noob so much. It's much appreciated.
pekatete (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 09:07:03 AM

Alright. One final question before I go to bed. I've been messing with overclocking my miner all day, and I've found that running it at 250M delivers expected results. It runs at an average of 505 Ghash/s with low temps and low hardware errors. As soon as I kick it up to 256.25M, my temps stay down and it shows all 'o's for the status, but I get tons of hardware errors and low hash rates. I''m getting half as many hardware errors as accepted shares and about 480 Ghash/s. Why is this?
By the way, thanks for helping out this noob so much. It's much appreciated.
I have days when I notice the HW numbers spike to astronomical figures on the OC'd S3's, but a reboot via SSH always "settles" the unit down. Having said that, it may be one of several things, and I could be wrong but I'll offer a few:
1. You are not powering your S3 properly (I used only 2 connectors, but made sure the cables can adequately juice the unit)
2. If it is an earlier S3, you may need to re-apply the paste (bitmain did a very amateur job!) to enable your unit handle higher temps better.
3. Your unit's freq sweet spot is 250M (some units are less others more ... luck of the draw!).
On a personal level, if it hashes at 505GH/s with acceptable HW errors, I'd be over the moon.

luckypyrate

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 03:02:19 PM

FYI the link for cgminer is no longer valid.

wget http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/antminer/s3/4.6.1-141020/cgminer will get you there

Life is too serious to be taken seriously
pekatete (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 03:08:48 PM

wget http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/antminer/s3/4.6.1-141020/cgminer will get you there

Thanks for mentioning that the link to 4.6.0 is no longer available (and I will add a note to that), however, just below that link in the OP is the link to cgminer 4.6.1 (including the similar process of installing it).

luckypyrate

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 03:10:26 PM

Thanks for mentioning that the link to 4.6.0 is no longer available (and I will add a note to that), however, just below that link in the OP is the link to cgminer 4.6.1 (including the similar process of installing it).

doh!  *grabs more coffee*  sorry.

pekatete (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 03:20:54 PM

^^ No worries.
Updated OP with link to adding frequencies to latest firmaware (Aug 2014) and highlighting the deprecation of cgminer 4.6.0

daddyfatsax

Activity: 857
Merit: 1000

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 03:44:23 PM

^^ No worries.
Updated OP with link to adding frequencies to latest firmaware (Aug 2014) and highlighting the deprecation of cgminer 4.6.0
Looks like CK changed the file again, it should be:
wget http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/antminer/s3/4.6.1-141020/cgminer
luckypyrate

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 03:53:05 PM

^^ No worries.

ah so I wasn't crazy!  Whew!

daddyfatsax

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 03:56:04 PM

^^ No worries.

ah so I wasn't crazy!  Whew!

Just saw you already posted that link. Was not paying attention.
pekatete (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 03:56:32 PM

^^ No worries.

Updated OP, though both versions are still available unlike version 4.6.0 flat.

daddyfatsax

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 04:26:20 PM

Even with the new cgminer file, my units are doing a little worse than with the previous one. I am guessing I am losing around 10-14 GH/s per device, which is not bad but when you have 11 of them it makes a slight difference.
pekatete (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 04:32:45 PM

Even with the new cgminer file, my units are doing a little worse than with the previous one. I am guessing I am losing around 10-14 GH/s per device, which is not bad but when you have 11 of them it makes a slight difference.
Do you have the latest firmware on them? i had exactly the same experience with my batch 6 units and reverted to the stock cgminer, however (again as is documented in this thread), when I updated to the latest firmware, which I had to do when upgrading my S1's, I get the same result as the stock, or slightly better, but with the security flaws plugged.

daddyfatsax

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 04:35:10 PM

Do you have the latest firmware on them? i had exactly the same experience with my batch 6 units and reverted to the stock cgminer, however (again as is documented in this thread), when I updated to the latest firmware, which I had to do when upgrading my S1's, I get the same result as the stock, or slightly better, but with the security flaws plugged.

Yeah I have the latest firmware, it is dated 8/26/2014. My issue is probably the 5 batch 1 miners I have, even though some of my batch 5 units are a little slow as well.
pekatete (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 04:43:33 PM

Yeah I have the latest firmware, it is dated 8/26/2014. My issue is probably the 5 batch 1 miners I have, even though some of my batch 5 units are a little slow as well.
Yep, the earlier batches do not seem to be up to it. I suspect it is due to their poor temp handling and suggested to someone to re-do their heat paste; Though he had some good results using a conductive compound, he re-applied using a non conductive paste and has not reported their results. With several units .... that would be a day's work! Worth it? Not sure.

daddyfatsax

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 04:47:02 PM

Yep, the earlier batches do not seem to be up to it. I suspect it is due to their poor temp handling and suggested to someone to re-do their heat paste; Though he had some good results using a conductive compound, he re-applied using a non conductive paste and has not reported their results. With several units .... that would be a day's work! Worth it? Not sure.

I replaced all the thermal paste on 1 of my batch 1 units and that fixed all of the X's and other issues. Not really worth it to start taking apart the rest.
cenicsoft

Activity: 276
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 04:53:46 PM

Is upgrading to the latest CGminer for later batches of S3, including S3+ and upgraded S1's recommended?

Running the latest firmware, I upgraded all of the miners to CGMiner 4.6.1 and hashing restarts every few minutes. Overclocking is minimal - 237.5 to 243.75 with temps between 39 and 41 degrees.  The miner itself doesn't restart, only the hashing.

I had to revert back to the CGMiner included with the firmware and they hash continuously without trouble.

BannerCoin - officially trading on EtherDelta.
BannerView.com - Energize your Business Online, powered by BannerOS, the platform that turns your website into a powerful business tool.
pekatete (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 04:57:08 PM

Is upgrading to the latest CGminer for later batches of S3, including S3+ and upgraded S1's recommended?

Running the latest firmware, I upgraded all of the miners to CGMiner 4.6.1 and hashing restarts every few minutes. Overclocking is minimal - 237.5 to 243.75 with temps between 39 and 41 degrees.  The miner itself doesn't restart, only the hashing.

I had to revert back to the CGMiner included with the firmware and they hash continuously without trouble.
I have not experienced the restarts that have been reported in several threads after upgrading to the earlier version of cgminer 4.6.1
Could you try and get the exact version of cgminer that restarts? If you look at the OP, there are two versions of 4.6.1

luckypyrate

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 04:57:39 PM

Okay well I have upgraded the cgminer on my S3's and will be working on upgrading my S1s to 4.2.0 while I wait for the S3's to settle down to decide if I want to try and push the freq.  

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: