Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:27:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: cgminer and --failover-only  (Read 9117 times)
viktorz (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 08:15:58 AM

How does it works --failover-only ?
As I understood it will switch to another pool when primary is idle or fail, and after how much hour or minutes it will back to primary pool and how much times it will check whether primary pool alive or not?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 08:36:29 AM

It pools the main pool continuously at the background - my guess is around 100msec or something, didn't check the coding but it's almost instantaneous. It'll shift automatically back one the main pool is up.
viktorz (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 11:52:15 AM

My inet is not so fast, 100msec too much how to increase it to one or two minutes?
misternoodle

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 10:31:28 PM

I believe you can change it under ettings.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 02:36:07 AM

My inet is not so fast, 100msec too much how to increase it to one or two minutes?
For me, I use a spare pool with mine and set it to 'load balancing' hence if the first is slow/fails a bit, the shares will automatically get to the second pool.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2012, 06:06:44 AM

The normal failover mechanism in cgminer will allow some work to go to the backup pools if there is a delay in getting work from the primary pool you have set. This can be as much as 10% if the pool has latency issues. It then only fails to the backup pool if the primary pool stops giving work for 1 minute. failover-only does not change the failover mechanism, but it does not allow work to go to the backup pools unless the primary pool has failed completely for at least a minute. It then will switch to the backup pool. If cgminer considers a pool dead or down, it tries to contact that pool 1 minutely.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
viktorz (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 06:21:32 AM

Thanks then, I'll use failover-only.

For me, I use a spare pool with mine and set it to 'load balancing' hence if the first is slow/fails a bit, the shares will automatically get to the second pool.

Yes it is good but some pools gives less coins then another pools ))
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 04:06:29 PM

Two commands you might want to pass :

--retries|-r <arg>  Number of times to retry before giving up, if JSON-RPC call fails (-1 means never) (default: -1)
--retry-pause|-R <arg> Number of seconds to pause, between retries (default: 5)
wogaut
Donator

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 08:57:52 PM

The normal failover mechanism in cgminer will allow some work to go to the backup pools if there is a delay in getting work from the primary pool you have set. This can be as much as 10% if the pool has latency issues. It then only fails to the backup pool if the primary pool stops giving work for 1 minute. failover-only does not change the failover mechanism, but it does not allow work to go to the backup pools unless the primary pool has failed completely for at least a minute. It then will switch to the backup pool. If cgminer considers a pool dead or down, it tries to contact that pool 1 minutely.

Can that 1 minute value be changed on the command line?

raiding

Activity: 26

View Profile
November 09, 2016, 03:09:00 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2016, 03:19:05 PM by raiding

Hy.

I know this threat is old, but I've got a problem which may suits here very well ...

I want to use the --failover-only option, to jump betweeen solo.ckpool.org and de.ckpool.org if one of them has connection problems, so cgminer won't stop working.

But cgminer doesn't.

If one pool fails, he tries again and again to connect to one pool and ignores the second one ...

cgminer -o stratum+tcp://solo.ckpool.org:3333 -u username -p x --retries 1 --failover-only -o stratum+tcp://de.ckpool.org:3333 -u username -p x
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2016, 02:36:26 PM

As -ck pointed out, the default policy (at least in 2012) is for the software to send up to 10% of the work to the backup pool if the primary has delays in sending work.  If the primary becomes unresponsive, all work will shift to the backup.  With --failover-only, the software will not send partial work to the backup.  It's all or nothing.

You can see what each option does here: https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer

Also, I'm not sure what that "retries" option is.  It isn't listed as a command line argument in the cgminer docs and is probably what's screwing you up.

To do what you want, simply make your command as follows:

Code:
cgminer -o stratum+tcp://solo.ckpool.org:3333 -u user -p pass -o stratum+tcp://de.ckpool.org:3333 -u user -p pass

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
raiding

Activity: 26

View Profile
November 10, 2016, 02:52:27 PM

Damn, I missunderstood the option completely Cheesy

Thank you very much for ur help
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2016, 03:28:55 PM

My pleasure.  Good luck hitting the solo block Smiley

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: