Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:41:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: winner has been decided see other thread for results  (Read 32450 times)
cablepair (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2012, 12:28:28 AM

Even if its 1000 BTC - 0% Donation and took me 5 mins to set it up, I am completely in my rights to do this, there are no gimicks or tricks, If you dont agree with the Raffle dont participate, very simple. Two questions:

Grue: Are you familiar with Raffles? This raffle has the best odds of any I have ever seen
No, not really, but i did remember the BFL raffle https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=67937.0 had much better odds.

Also no disrespect but I have to ask, Do you really not have anything better to do than troll my raffle? Wink

Its very simple for 1 Bitcoin you get a good chance to win a very high end graphics card and donate a little something to the forum at the same time. If you think I am doing something wrong go start your own raffle.
No, i was simply pointing out that gigavps' calculation was flawed. i know that 20% of this is going to the forum, but that is dwarfed by the 42% that is given to the operator. mathematically, it's obviously better to simply donate to the forum directly. even from a purely "for fun" perspective, you could gamble at other places that have much lower margins.

Since you brought it up why not compare the odds? I cannot tell you for sure which raffle had better odds but I can tell you for sure that the BFL raffle certainly did not have MUCH better odds.

Also my odds are very clear and concise, 1 Bitcoin = 1 in 300 Chance. The odds from that raffle ended up being very confusing and no one even knew what the odds were until the end of the raffle.

No disrespect to Matt, he did a really good job and had some very innovative ideas about the raffle (and gave me the idea for Coinraffle) it just did not pan out as good as he had hoped.

The 20% donation serves two purposes other than helping out the forum

It makes it less of an incentive for the raffle operator to cheat, which was a concern that was brought up on the BFL raffle thread (not that anyone accused Matt of cheating but it was pointed out how easy it would be to do so)

and its a Bonus for playing this raffle.

The bottom line is this, people are not playing the raffle just out of the desire to donate to the forum, your missing the point here of course that is a nice BONUS and its great to help out the forum but the reason people are playing is to WIN A 7970!

This raffle provides excellent odds - 1 in 300 to win a Saphire Radeon HD 7970, one of the best gaming and mining GPUs in the world.

This is the reason people are playing, and I am sorry I have to reiterate this but the rules and terms are out in the open for everyone to see, people want to take a risk for 1 Bitcoin to possibly turn that into a six hundred dollar video card, I am providing that chance and getting a nice payday because of it and be able to help out my favorite forum at the same time. ( say it with me now : Free Market )

Im going to say it again, and this is not to you grue its to anyone if you dont like it please just dont play. I am not deceiving anyone into playing this, they are adults making a decision to play and if you dont like it good, go make a better raffle.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 12:33:19 AM

"Grue: Are you familiar with Raffles? This raffle rip off has the best biggest operator's odds rake offs of any I have ever seen"

FTFY  Grin  DMI

This is coming from someone who runs a lottery site, can some one say hater?

read my previous post - I do not run any lottery site, I only answer this so that you don't slander others who do, as for the rest of your comments they are equally inaccurate & pathetic in their response

It is so incredibly lame that you are trolling this thread.

The Rules and Terms of the raffle are in black and white for all to see, no one is tricked into this. People have an option to play or not to play. This is A free market, people are buying this tickets and if you dont like it, oh well - why not go start your own raffle today? Do it better than me and for less money and prove that I am wrong.

Either put up or shut up because otherwise you just look like a troll coming in here complaining about something that you have nothing to do with, you want to tear it down for what? For me making money? Are you serious? Your preposterous acronyms make you look like a fool, it's Friday night go out and get laid or something man and leave me alone.

read my previous post - I do not run any lottery site, I only answer this so that you don't slander others who do, as for the rest of your comments they are equally inaccurate & pathetic in their response

ps - fo

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2012, 12:34:00 AM

Even if its 1000 BTC - 0% Donation and took me 5 mins to set it up, I am completely in my rights to do this, there are no gimicks or tricks, If you dont agree with the Raffle dont participate, very simple. Two questions:

Grue: Are you familiar with Raffles? This raffle has the best odds of any I have ever seen
No, not really, but i did remember the BFL raffle https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=67937.0 had much better odds.

Also no disrespect but I have to ask, Do you really not have anything better to do than troll my raffle? Wink

Its very simple for 1 Bitcoin you get a good chance to win a very high end graphics card and donate a little something to the forum at the same time. If you think I am doing something wrong go start your own raffle.
No, i was simply pointing out that gigavps' calculation was flawed. i know that 20% of this is going to the forum, but that is dwarfed by the 42% that is given to the operator. mathematically, it's obviously better to simply donate to the forum directly. even from a purely "for fun" perspective, you could gamble at other places that have much lower margins.

Since you brought it up why not compare the odds? I cannot tell you for sure which raffle had better odds but I can tell you for sure that the BFL raffle certainly did not have MUCH better odds.

Also my odds are very clear and concise, 1 Bitcoin = 1 in 300 Chance. The odds from that raffle ended up being very confusing and no one even knew what the odds were until the end of the raffle.

No disrespect to Matt, he did a really good job and had some very innovative ideas about the raffle (and gave me the idea for Coinraffle) it just did not pan out as good as he had hoped.

It makes it less of an incentive for the raffle operator to cheat, which was a concern that was brought up on the BFL raffle thread (not that anyone accused Matt of cheating but it was pointed out how easy it would be to do so)

The bottom line is this, people are not playing the raffle just out of the desire to donate to the forum, your missing the point here of course that is a nice BONUS and its great to help out the forum but the reason people are playing is to WIN A 7970!

This raffle provides excellent odds - 1 in 300 to win a Saphire Radeon HD 7970, one of the best gaming and mining GPUs in the world.

This is the reason people are playing, and I am sorry I have to reiterate this but the rules and terms are out in the open for everyone to see, people want to take a risk for 1 Bitcoin to possibly turn that into a six hundred dollar video card, I am providing that chance and getting a nice payday because of it and be able to help out my favorite forum at the same time. ( say it with me now : Free Market )

Im going to say it again, and this is not to you grue its to anyone if you dont like it please just dont play. I am not deceiving anyone into playing this, they are adults making a decision to play and if you dont like it good, go make a better raffle.

dirtycat

Activity: 456
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 01:08:30 AM

what do you do with everyones info you collect name and addresses and such?

and I bought a ticket.. no red X on my number.. and the receipt I got in email was blank.. Huh

Did you get a blank receipt from bit-pay.com ?

ya.. odd.. what if i forget what number i bought lolz

poop!
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2012, 01:33:02 AM

and I bought a ticket.. no red X on my number.. and the receipt I got in email was blank.. Huh

I wonder if Bit-Pay is having some issue, I have heard from a couple people they are getting blank emails from them, I will email them now.

What Number did you buy?

Let me check the site

the last raffle ticket that was confirmed was ticket #2

if that is your ticket and you do not see a red x please reload the web page and if that does not work clear your cache and reload because right now I see a red x for ticket 2

thank you for playing and good luck!

Smiley
dirtycat

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 03:27:54 AM

I wonder if Bit-Pay is having some issue, I have heard from a couple people they are getting blank emails from them, I will email them now.

What Number did you buy?

Let me check the site

the last raffle ticket that was confirmed was ticket #2

if that is your ticket and you do not see a red x please reload the web page and if that does not work clear your cache and reload because right now I see a red x for ticket 2

thank you for playing and good luck!

Smiley

I got ticket 153

poop!
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 03:27:11 PM

the BFL raffle was "1 ticket for 0.5 BTC, ends in 1 week". at the end, not many people bought the tickets, resulting in better-than-expected odds.
apples to oranges. your odds are fixed, whereas BFL raffle was based on how many people bought tickets. in both cases, the rules were clearly stated.

LOL, you're getting a whopping 42% anyways, already a huge incentive not to cheat.

oh please, not this statement again. you're justifying your huge profit margin by making a small donation. like i said in my previous posts, it's mathematically better to simply gamble somewhere else, and donate the winnings to the forum or buy a 7970. i haven't looked around in the gambling section much, but i'm pretty sure most games don't have a 42% profit margin.

"free market" seems to be the favorite cop-out on this forum. don't like my pyramid/ponzi/drugs/slaves/guns/morally questionable practices? it's a free market! bitcoin is free market, therefore your argument is invalid.

i'm not sure what your definition of "excellent odds" are, but a 42% rake is pretty high. of course, that's just my opinion, and i'm sure you're tired of me ruining up your thread so i promise that this will be the last reply i make.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2012, 03:32:09 PM

I dont have to justify anything. I am not doing anything wrong, in what world is it wrong to make money on a legal and legitimate enterprise?

Have you ever gone to college? Ever taken any business courses?

The purpose of business is to make money. Grow up and quit yer bitchin

cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2012, 10:42:07 PM

Thank you to all who have been continuing to buy tickets and support this raffle - Have a great Easter!
server
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1002

1 BTC =1 BTC

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 02:43:55 PM

Nice idea but you're to greedy... maybe you can buy 150 tickets yourself ?

Then you have 50% chance on winning and if you win, and raffle the 7970 again for 150 tickets ?

jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 02:53:15 PM

Looks like 50 are sold. 1/6 of the way there.
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2012, 03:30:28 PM

Looks like 50 are sold. 1/6 of the way there.

Yes we had lot of sales the first 3 days then only a hand full every day since then, have not had a single day without at least a couple of sale, now that things are slowing down again I am launching second wave of advertising today so expect another surge in buying!

Hope everyone had a great Easter, I took yesterday off to go to Church and spend time with family - time to get back to the grindstone
TheOtherGuy

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 04:23:07 PM

I can't believe you guys left lucky number 13 for me! I scooped it up yesterday and now can't wait for delivery of my new 7970.

1NDoRoTapFZNiUhzTPyFdKib66QLJfmcuR
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 11:04:29 PM

None taken, it was a first attempt. I don't understand what you mean about "not panning out as good as I had hoped". That BFL Single was originally purchased for $450,  the raffle brought in over $1,200, and all it took was some photography and a google doc. If $750 for a few days of trolling the forums is "not panning out", then all I have to say is "lol wut?".

Also, greedy or not, I'm not an idiot. I knew that 0.5BTC would be way more enticing than 1BTC> etc. If you want people to appreciate something as high risk as a raffle or lottery of any kind, you have to make your barrier to entry very low to account for people's psychological rationalizations for throwing small amounts of money away.

Rule #1 of raffles: Don't let the public know how much you're actually making or they'll stop participating out of pure jealousy or awareness of the evil genius of it.

Rule #2 of raffles: When discussing terms of the raffles in a public forum, never discuss EARNINGS, only rules. Participation from a community is vital obviously (you're not making money, you're merely moving other people's money from their wallets to yours), but they should never participate in the decision of how much money you make, and for much less evil reasons than it sounds like-- because the majority of people participating will have no idea of how much anything is actually worth and will always feel cheated, especially when it's their fault.

Rule #3 of raffles: If you're going to require 400% the price of an item be met like some kind of a reserve auction, learn how to use this code:

Code:
[size=4pt][/size]

cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2012, 11:23:39 PM

None taken, it was a first attempt. I don't understand what you mean about "not panning out as good as I had hoped". That BFL Single was originally purchased for $450,  the raffle brought in over $1,200, and all it took was some photography and a google doc. If $750 for a few days of trolling the forums is "not panning out", then all I have to say is "lol wut?".

Also, greedy or not, I'm not an idiot. I knew that 0.5BTC would be way more enticing than 1BTC> etc. If you want people to appreciate something as high risk as a raffle or lottery of any kind, you have to make your barrier to entry very low to account for people's psychological rationalizations for throwing small amounts of money away.

Rule #1 of raffles: Don't let the public know how much you're actually making or they'll stop participating out of pure jealousy or awareness of the evil genius of it.

Rule #2 of raffles: When discussing terms of the raffles in a public forum, never discuss EARNINGS, only rules. Participation from a community is vital obviously (you're not making money, you're merely moving other people's money from their wallets to yours), but they should never participate in the decision of how much money you make, and for much less evil reasons than it sounds like-- because the majority of people participating will have no idea of how much anything is actually worth and will always feel cheated, especially when it's their fault.

Rule #3 of raffles: If you're going to require 400% the price of an item be met like some kind of a reserve auction, learn how to use this code:

Code:
[size=4pt][/size]

Matt: You totally read not panned out as something it was not

I was talking about the broken referral system, and confusion about email hashing etc

I know you did very good on your raffle, thats what inspired me to do one as well.

Not sure where you get 400% from though - even if you count the 20% I am giving the forum - its only about half of that.

If you look at how raffles are done in the real world this is a very common way of doing it - you have a set number of tickets and you sell them until they are gone.

I don't need to put things in small print - that would be deceitful, I am running an honest auction with honest terms in black and white - it was either going to pass or fail, I tried it out and So far it's passing...

Bottom Line is this:

I am making money, helping out my favorite forum and some lucky person is going to get a great GPU for only 1 Bitcoin.

You guys can keep trying to convince me I screwed up here but from where I sit - its still looking pretty sweet Smiley

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 11:26:42 PM

I was talking about the broken referral system, and confusion about email hashing etc
Ah okay.

Not sure where you get 400% from though - even if you count the 20% I am giving the forum - its only about half of that.
I wasn't being serious. Those points were mostly jokes to troll people who thought I was scamming them by having a raffle in the first place.

cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2012, 11:46:52 PM

Ah okay.

I wasn't being serious. Those points were mostly jokes to troll people who thought I was scamming them by having a raffle in the first place.

Smiley

I remember typing "not panned out" the first time and thinking "matt is going to destroy me for that" hahahaha

but seriously I know your raffle was a success thats why I did mine! Considering your raffle was the first one in the existence of Bitcoin (as far as I know - someone check the Guinness book of records) it went pretty smoothly and you were able to start the development of the Bitcoin block chain raffle system which is pretty cool - maybe someone will take what you started and I built on and make it even better.

Someone like Bit-Pay could really make the whole thing streamlined and take it to the next level. I am just a web designer / developer - not a full pledged programmer by any means  and I can only take it so far.

I like you Matt because you know how to make money and your not afraid to do so, what we really need to do in his Bitcoin community is stop this stigma about making a profit. It seems like everyone gets so pissed when people try to make money. Not sure where I got this from but I always thought the point of business was to make a profit but The way some people act around here you would think I was a terrorist or something.

"Your making double your money back - how DARE YOU!" Where I come from that's just called having a good day.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 11:57:08 PM

The way some people act around here you would think I was a terrorist or something.

I used to think it was Rule #1: when someone sees a homeless man on the street, they may give him a dollar, but when they see him open up his wallet full of $100 bills to put your dollar in, they instantly don't want to help him anymore.

Now I think it's more because people here are anti-establishmentarianists and hate "the rich" so much that anything taller than them is seen as a threat. (e.g. even if MtGox is doing everything right, some people will swear that they are evil just because of their size).

dirtycat

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 12:02:12 AM

Ah okay.

Smiley

I remember typing "not panned out" the first time and thinking "matt is going to destroy me for that" hahahaha

but seriously I know your raffle was a success thats why I did mine! Considering your raffle was the first one in the existence of Bitcoin (as far as I know - someone check the Guinness book of records) it went pretty smoothly and you were able to start the development of the Bitcoin block chain raffle system which is pretty cool - maybe someone will take what you started and I built on and make it even better.

Someone like Bit-Pay could really make the whole thing streamlined and take it to the next level. I am just a web designer / developer - not a full pledged programmer by any means  and I can only take it so far.

I like you Matt because you know how to make money and your not afraid to do so, what we really need to do in his Bitcoin community is stop this stigma about making a profit. It seems like everyone gets so pissed when people try to make money. Not sure where I got this from but I always thought the point of business was to make a profit but The way some people act around here you would think I was a terrorist or something.

"Your making double your money back - how DARE YOU!" Where I come from that's just called having a good day.

shut up and sell more raffle tickets I want to win my 7970 already!

poop!
wogaut
Donator

Activity: 448

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 12:06:03 AM

shut up and sell more raffle tickets I want to win my 7970 already!

+1  Grin Grin Grin

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: