View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 04:38:07 PM

I would also be interested in hearing peoples ideas on this.  I think the biggest obstacle for bitcoin are people in power who either do not understand it or worse, fear it.
Just think about if they made bitcoin illegal, then you have the entire US bitcoin economy collapse.  What can be done to ensure something like that never happens.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
SealsPromotions

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2012, 05:01:37 PM

Hi all,

Wanted to post a question to learn some more information. Have any of the bitcoin exchanges mt.gox, tradehill etc. started to band together to create a lobbying effort in Washington? Its something that historically has taken internet based endeavors a long time to do (google just recently opened an office in Washington). An intiative of this kind seems particularly critical to bitcoins future as one of the largest risks surrounding bitcoin today re: the hacker news discussion today http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3785672  is regulatory risk. Shouldn't some sort of trade organization or 501 c 3 be set up to be proactive in the defense of bitcoin? bitcoin is something that would certainly enlist the support organizations like the Cato institute which are dedicated to libertarian ideology.

Any information appreciated on this interesting aspect of the bitcoin story.

This seems kind of like going up to the hornet nest and poking it with a stick.  We don't ultimately need their permission for Bitcoin to work, because stooges in Washington don't ultimately drive progress.

Sure, there might be some battles ahead.  Wait until they try something criminal and then scream bloody murder.  We don't have to go out of our way to dignify them, as if whether or not they should fuck with us is some sort of legitimate question.  If you want to educate people about Bitcoin, imo it's way more useful to talk to your fellow man.  (The government works within the framework of what the public accepts anyways.  So talking to your fellow citizen is way more bang for the buck.)
SealsPromotions

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2012, 06:25:07 PM

Ya I see what you mean, definitely interesting one way or the other how the conversation is going. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: