Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:57:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What ripping program.  (Read 771 times)
demonmaestro (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Mining for the hell of it.

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 04:06:36 AM

Okay So I have quite a few blue-ray and DVDs i want to put on my hefty 48TB NAS i just built and I am trying to figure out what would be the best software for converting my movies to put them onto my computer.
So I can watch them over my network.

Note. I do know that the blue-ray movies are quite large in size but my network will handle the data no problem. Yea for fiber/gigabit ethernet.

Feel Like Donating? bc1q0v5nfdejapffewu67gft7zw7zsmnfmmkt3lf02
Buy/Sell BitCoin & LiteCoin  Click here! | Looking for a great exchange? CoinBase Has you covered.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3057

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 04:41:38 AM

Okay So I have quite a few blue-ray and DVDs i want to put on my hefty 48TB NAS i just built and I am trying to figure out what would be the best software for converting my movies to put them onto my computer.

Note. I do know that the blue-ray movies are quite large in size but my network will handle the data no problem. Yea for fiber/gigabit ethernet.

First thing you need to do is figure out what format you want to store them in.  Do you want a DVD type menu or do you just want a video file?

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Singlebyte

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 04:42:08 AM

I use to use all the normal rippers/encoders (dvdclone,dvddecryter, DVD shrink, handbrake, Ect) but found it was easier just to download the torrent files.  (Especially for blueray DVDs.)

I then have plex server setup on my PC.  I can stream any movie to my Ipad, Roku/tv, or android phone.  

This setup above works great unless you are trying to preserve the menu structure of the DVD.  Then I use western digital live box and copy the ripped DVD in its entirety.

Btw, I have about a 1000 movies (quite a few "movie only" blueray rips) and I am only using up about 1.5 TB.  48TB is a lot of space!
demonmaestro (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 04:48:46 AM

First thing you need to do is figure out what format you want to store them in.  Do you want a DVD type menu or do you just want a video file?
Well if I could do both that would be cool as well.. But ultimately the movie.
I can't say much about format because I have VideoLan as my main media player but it wont work on my smart TV. So i guess i need  a way to make it where was can be watched on there as well....

Buy/Sell BitCoin & LiteCoin  Click here! | Looking for a great exchange? CoinBase Has you covered.
Singlebyte

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 04:51:18 AM

Well if I could do both that would be cool as well.. But ultimately the movie.
I can't say much about format because I have VideoLan as my main media player but it wont work on my smart TV. So i guess i need  a way to make it where was can be watched on there as well....

PLEX and a $50 roku box works perfect.
demonmaestro (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 04:53:04 AM

Would a "smart TV" not work with plex?

It is a LG smart tv

Singlebyte

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 05:00:51 AM

Would a "smart TV" not work with plex?

It is a LG smart tv

It would depend on the make/model.  Looks like it can however.

http://plex.h3consulting.net/
demonmaestro (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 05:08:16 AM

Now just comes in the issue of ripping them. Like I said I would like to do both of what VOD said.

Singlebyte

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 05:17:38 AM
Last edit: August 22, 2014, 05:33:35 AM by Singlebyte

Now just comes in the issue of ripping them. Like I said I would like to do both of what VOD said.

If you want to go through the time and effort...

DVD:  DVD decrypter (to crack the encryption) and Handbrake (to Encode) No need to encode with handbrake if you just want the entire DVD menu structure left as it is.

BluRay: http://lifehacker.com/5559007/the-hassle-free-guide-to-ripping-your-blu-ray-collection

Handbrake allows you to encode the ripped video with whatever settings/resolution you want.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: