Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:01:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Royal Canadian Mint just announced a new alternative to BitCoin  (Read 19900 times)
Raoul Duke (OP)
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 03:55:58 PM

You've kept this Mint Chip advertisement on page 1 for long enough anyway.

WTF dude, I posted the thread, and it shure isn't an advertisement.
I did it to watch people diss on MintChip, not to advertise it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raoul Duke (OP)
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 04:55:49 PM

Sorry, didn't mean it to be interpreted that way. I guess my point would've been clearer if I'd worded it something along the lines of:
You've (cunicula) been using manipulating this thread to promote your saboteur-ish views for long enough anyway.

I concur with your fix Cheesy
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2012, 05:08:38 PM

Sorry, didn't mean it to be interpreted that way. I guess my point would've been clearer if I'd worded it something along the lines of:
You've (cunicula) been using manipulating this thread to promote your saboteur-ish views for long enough anyway.

I concur with your fix Cheesy

I don't have an alpaca in this race, but...

You've (cunicula) been manipulating this thread to promote your saboteur-ish views long enough anyway.

FTFY

~Bruno~
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 03:25:06 AM

The logical response to this is to buy some bitcoin and wait for someone else to make bitcoin succeed. If everyone waits simultaneously, then bitcoin fails. That is what is happening.

To get the ball rolling, you need to have an agency which is heavily invested in bitcoin (say to the tune of ten million USD) to spearhead and fund projects. They would have an incentive to do something professional because they could gain from currency appreciation. This needs to happen in order to get to the future where bitcoin can be big and profitable.

If an agency like this isn't created, bitcoin will continue to consist of hobby businesses. The profits from these businesses are so slim that even when they attract a reasonable amount of interest, the business owners often fail to maintain them. You certainly don't see them upgrading and becoming professional. That makes sense. There is no reason to invest money right now when there is no money to be made right now.

This post by cunicula is so on point.

Definitely saving this for later usage.

On the other hand, perhaps it's too early for getting the ball to roll, and Bitcoin still needs a sheltered, hobby status until some technical issues are hammered out (as evident from the recent fierce discussions about various BIPs) and clients and network overlays mature and get tested.  Also, legal status will need to get clearer at least in the taxation domain.

I know this is a chicken-and-egg issue, but it seems to me that Bitcoin has grown quite dramatically in only a year, and I'm happy with the pace. I am neither a developer nor a businessman, but I do what I can - in my case by simply using Bitcoin in everyday life, thereby proving that it works, and works better than the alternatives.

But we went astray from the point of OP.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2012, 03:52:27 AM

The logical response to this is to buy some bitcoin and wait for someone else to make bitcoin succeed. If everyone waits simultaneously, then bitcoin fails. That is what is happening.

To get the ball rolling, you need to have an agency which is heavily invested in bitcoin (say to the tune of ten million USD) to spearhead and fund projects. They would have an incentive to do something professional because they could gain from currency appreciation. This needs to happen in order to get to the future where bitcoin can be big and profitable.

If an agency like this isn't created, bitcoin will continue to consist of hobby businesses. The profits from these businesses are so slim that even when they attract a reasonable amount of interest, the business owners often fail to maintain them. You certainly don't see them upgrading and becoming professional. That makes sense. There is no reason to invest money right now when there is no money to be made right now.

This post by cunicula is so on point.

Definitely saving this for later usage.

On the other hand, perhaps it's too early for getting the ball to roll, and Bitcoin still needs a sheltered, hobby status until some technical issues are hammered out (as evident from the recent fierce discussions about various BIPs) and clients and network overlays mature and get tested.  Also, legal status will need to get clearer at least in the taxation domain.

I know this is a chicken-and-egg issue, but it seems to me that Bitcoin has grown quite dramatically in only a year, and I'm happy with the pace. I am neither a developer nor a businessman, but I do what I can - in my case by simply using Bitcoin in everyday life, thereby proving that it works, and works better than the alternatives.

But we went astray from the point of OP.

That said, I'm pretty sure that's why Max and Tony desire to gain only one million new users for 2012, as mentioned at the Prague conference. (this post is not meant to be snarkish toward Max or Tony)

~Bruno~
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 06:21:15 PM

This is a clear sign that Bitcoin is ahead of it's time

yup, way ahead i'm afraid. There will come lots of centralized versions of digital currencies by powerful players first that probably also have the resources to provide a strong network effect. People will have to get burnt time and time again until they learn the value of decentralization.

Agree, decentralization is imperative. I don't see any top down e-money system that can be immune to rampant fraud by the issuer. If money has value based on trust then ANY breach of the system's integrity will have immediate destabilizing effects. 

Dan The Man

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 07:13:13 PM

If Canada or any other country did roll out a centralized dollar-backed Bitcoin chain, it would be great for Bitcoin because it would mean putting in place all of the infrastructure needed to run Bitcoin transactions.

And there are still a lot of advantages to a cryptographically secured digital currency even if it is dependent on a central trusted node that provides the currency backing.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 09:16:31 PM

If Canada or any other country did roll out a centralized dollar-backed Bitcoin chain, it would be great for Bitcoin because it would mean putting in place all of the infrastructure needed to run Bitcoin transactions.

And there are still a lot of advantages to a cryptographically secured digital currency even if it is dependent on a central trusted node that provides the currency backing.

I you've got a centralized system, what's the purpose of a blockchain?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 09:42:33 PM

Triple Entry Accounting

http://iang.org/papers/triple_entry.html

Dan The Man

Activity: 672

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 10:19:19 PM

It also takes the work out of setting up a central server and secure administration system. Just start up your version of bitcoin and set it free. Run a minimum amount of hashing operations yourself and hope that transaction fees lure more computers. The only thing you really need is someone (the Mint) that you can trust to always exchange these new bitcoins for Canadian dollars at 1:1.

Since they created the new blockchain, they have the power to give themselves a monopoly of all of the new bitcoins that will ever be created. And since they are the Mint, hopefully they have lots of Canadian dollars too. Everything else could work the same way as bitcoin does now. It would make Canadian dollars a great reserve currency because they would suddenly be extremely easy to get and move around.
zer0

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 10:43:12 PM
Last edit: April 09, 2012, 10:55:08 PM by zer0

There is also a central authority which is the Royal Canadian Mint.  Kudos to them for taking this effort unlike other mints around the world.  But at this point I am skeptical.

Yes centralized
Normally I would recommend this but not with the current fed government here pushing for stronger snooping regulations

EDIt.. also seems like they are only interested in 'very low value transactions' according to the site, probably nothing over $5

Regardless lot's of opportunities for devs here to make money expanding and implementing this system, or destroying it's security using methods already implemented here years ago. Just make sure they pay you out in bitcoins or bullion not worthless mintcoins Smiley
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 01:26:54 PM

I really don't get why they are doing this. What can you even buy for ten bucks besides coffee and a muffin? If you try to buy any physical goods online, you'll pay that much just in shipping and handling. About the only thing you can buy are mpegs. I have a feeling that they were hoping for more but had to compromise.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 05:45:00 AM

This is amazing.  It looks like this whole system is designed for the very low transaction amounts of 1cent to $10, and for OFFLINE transactions from individual to individual.

I really don't get why they are doing this. What can you even buy for ten bucks besides coffee and a muffin?

Obviously the important feature here is the ability to make transfers without access to a central clearing house.  That's an advantage over Bitcoin.  And it doesn't seem that useful in a first world country.  I'm guessing this is designed for export, and will be aimed at developing countries with poor telecom/internet infrastructure.

If you can live as a tourist in India for less than $10/day, I would think that kind of transaction limit would be extremely useful to locals.  The average sub-Saharan African, for instance, could live for a week on $10.  Or perhaps I'm wrong and this is all aimed towards something like allowance for kids.  Chip your kids...

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2012, 08:43:56 AM

This is amazing.  It looks like this whole system is designed for the very low transaction amounts of 1cent to $10, and for OFFLINE transactions from individual to individual.

Chargebacks come to mind. It'll be easilier and less painful to write off potential chargebacks for hundreds of ten dollar transactions then for hundreds, if not thousands (or tens of), of multiple hundred dollar transactions.

~Bruno~
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 06:29:47 AM

Some guy called Eric just shot his bolt over how great MintChip is ....

http://envelopeeconomics.com/2012/04/11/canada-has-unveiled-the-bitcoin/

Small correction: digital Canadian dollars are traceable by design, therefore not fungible.

In the same light, until we see Mintchip showing up on SilkRoad as an acceptable means of payment you will know they are less fungible than Bitcoin. As much as society despises illicit or shady activities, they are the acid test for that most essential property of any money, fungibility. As it has been since time immemorable, yet somehow forgotten by modern monetary managers, when rolling out their meglomaniacal financial monitoring and tracking systems.

cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 07:21:03 AM

Some guy called Eric just shot his bolt over how great MintChip is ....

Small correction: digital Canadian dollars are traceable by design, therefore not fungible.

In the same light, until we see Mintchip showing up on SilkRoad as an acceptable means of payment you will know they are less fungible than Bitcoin. As much as society despises illicit or shady activities, they are the acid test for that most essential property of any money, fungibility. As it has been since time immemorable, yet somehow forgotten by modern monetary managers, when rolling out their meglomaniacal financial monitoring and tracking systems.

If Canada is developing technology to support illegal pseudonymous transactions, then he is probably correct to argue that bitcoin is dead. I'm kind of confused though, why does he think that Canada will develop technology to support money laundering and crime? This seems highly implausible. Is he just confused? Or is this a case of the Canadian gov't's left hand not knowing what the gov't's right hand is doing?
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 07:27:38 AM

He's obviously confused.  He thinks it will be anonymous.  And he thinks it will be useful for large transactions.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 10:22:16 AM
Last edit: April 12, 2012, 10:38:31 AM by ShadowOfHarbringer

He's obviously confused.  He thinks it will be anonymous.  And he thinks it will be useful for large transactions.

1. Clearly, the technology is not open source
2. It is not decentralized.

End of story. This is in no way competition to Bitcoin at all.
It only may be useful as a suplement to Bitcoin.

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2012, 11:22:27 AM

For me personally one of the biggest reasons to be involved with Bitcoin is that it is a real original currency that has, in my opinion, a better money supply model than currencies where the powers that be can simply devalue the currency at will. MintChip clearly goes to the latter category which means that I have little interest in it. There are also other reasons to prefer Bitcoin, namely that it is open source and that it's decentralized.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 01:18:31 PM

Once mints and central banks around the world start unveiling similar portable digital wallets, and developers swiftly move in to ensure that transactions can be done anonymously, the Bitcoin experiment will end.

I find it curious as to why an economist thinks or cares about the "end" of Bitcoin. He clearly doesn't even begin to understand that these technologies he describes are insignificant compared to Bitcoin's capabilities.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: