Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:03:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why There Should Be A Bitcoin Central Bank  (Read 18282 times)
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 10:19:45 AM

This article just demonstrates how little some people know about Bitcoin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 06:05:01 PM

You support fractional banking..

GEt out.
Aemon

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 06:07:35 PM

I guess what happens if someone is able to hack all the accounts...? 

I think it would sort of suck for someone to completely take over the Bitcoin network and have all the money with no way of reversing it...

At least banks now can reverse transactions so that can protect your money..
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 06:14:27 PM

I think it would sort of suck for someone to completely take over the Bitcoin network and have all the money with no way of reversing it...

I don't think you really understand how Bitcoin works, you can't "hack" all the accounts.  You can take over the network with a 51% attack (see wiki for details) but that's not something that would have to be permanent.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 06:23:54 PM

The beauty of blockchain technology is that it allows Bitcoin banks to prove solvency while operating on fractional reserve principle. Banks should publish information about their reserves, assets and liabilities and provide as much proof as possible. Consumers should base their decisions about how much to deposit in a given bank on that information.

A non-government organization could provide an easy to read risk-assessment of various banks so that customers could make informed decisions without having to be educated on banking practices.

I don't think you really understand how Bitcoin works, you can't "hack" all the accounts.  You can take over the network with a 51% attack (see wiki for details) but that's not something that would have to be permanent.

Not only is it not permanent, but its effects are also very limited. The attacker cannot mint new coins or steal from other's wallets, they can only double spend their own transactions. According to the wiki:

An attacker that controls more than 50% of the network's computing power can, for the time that he is in control, exclude and modify the ordering of transactions. This allows him to:

Reverse transactions that he sends while he's in control. This has the potential to double-spend transactions that previously had already been seen in the block chain.
Prevent some or all transactions from gaining any confirmations
Prevent some or all other miners from mining any valid blocks

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
Fearless

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 07:27:16 PM

People who want banks should just use cash.
Absolutely,bitcoin is better as it is,there is no need of any change in its state and it isn't possible as well
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 07:53:43 PM

One can, however, hack the server with all of the hypothetical bank's private keys, and then empty all of them. (Hasn't this happened already?)

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
Chris_Sabian
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 08:25:15 PM

A fractional reserve banking system and a central bank was just the problem that Satoshi had and the reason why Bitcoin was created. 

This is a absolutely terrible idea.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 10:18:04 PM

The beauty of blockchain technology is that it allows Bitcoin banks to prove solvency while operating on fractional reserve principle.

so, say that there are several bitcoin banks proving solvency.  one has 100% of reserves, one has 50% , and one has 10%.  Which one will you pick? 

Do see where I am going with this?   Those operating on fractional reserve will be outcompeted.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 10:28:00 PM

The beauty of blockchain technology is that it allows Bitcoin banks to prove solvency while operating on fractional reserve principle.
so, say that there are several bitcoin banks proving solvency.  one has 100% of reserves, one has 50% , and one has 10%.  Which one will you pick?  

Do see where I am going with this?   Those operating on fractional reserve will be outcompeted.

Not if they pay interest on deposits.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 10:29:16 PM

so, say that there are several bitcoin banks proving solvency.  one has 100% of reserves, one has 50% , and one has 10%.  Which one will you pick?  

Do see where I am going with this?   Those operating on fractional reserve will be outcompeted.

sounds like a Ponzi to me

bitkilo
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 10:38:35 PM

We don't need a btc bank thats what btc is all about, no 3rd party who controls our money. If you are using bitcoin then welcome to the world of taking your finanical security in your own hands.
I guess coinbase vault is like a bank but you don't get interest or protection if it's stolen, they will just secure your btc on paper wallets in some bank vault, or sock draw who knows.
If any thread might get satoshi to pitch in this is it, he would being saying to himself they don't understand.  Huh

tupelo

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 10:52:39 PM

Yes, bitcoin lets users be their own bank. It is all about circumventing the need for trust. This is what the blockchain does and why we don't need a bank.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 10:54:21 PM

We don't need a btc bank thats what btc is all about, no 3rd party who controls our money. If you are using bitcoin then welcome to the world of taking your finanical security in your own hands.
I guess coinbase vault is like a bank but you don't get interest or protection if it's stolen, they will just secure your btc on paper wallets in some bank vault, or sock draw who knows.
If any thread might get satoshi to pitch in this is it, he would being saying to himself they don't understand.  Huh

You want to buy a house or a car, but you don't have the bitcoins so you need to borrow them. Where are you going to borrow them from if there are no banks?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 10:56:20 PM

GEt out.

I love Bitcoin but rejecting fractional reserve banking wholesale is entirely irrational and, I would argue, impossible for anyone in favor of free markets to advocate. And no, I won't get out.

If Bitcoin is as successful as I hope it will be we will have fractional reserve banking, and yes, it will apply to Bitcoins just as it applied to gold. Some people here claim that it is impossible, but to me that just shows that they don't understand what fractional reserve banking is.

Yes, bitcoin lets users be their own bank. It is all about circumventing the need for trust. This is what the blockchain does and why we don't need a bank.

The blockchain provides only storage, not the other functions of banks. This guy gets it:

You want to buy a house, but you don't have the bitcoins so you need to borrow them. Where are you going to borrow them from if there are no banks?

It's not a Ponzi scheme if the money is being loaned out for productive use. Banking is all about letting someone else use your money productively when you don't need it. As a plus (when the Federal Reserve isn't manipulating interest rates) you get some of the profits in return.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
young3dvard

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:30:11 PM

It's not a Ponzi scheme if the money is being loaned out for productive use. Banking is all about letting someone else use your money productively when you don't need it. As a plus (when the Federal Reserve isn't manipulating interest rates) you get some of the profits in return.

If you have some money/gold/whatever you can lend it. But banks have the advantage in fractional banking to credit anybody new money out of thin air. If anybody else created new money it would be basically fraud, but banks can do it. Why?

Lending is usefull, but fractional banking is not necessary for this.
itsAj

Activity: 588

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:48:48 PM

A fractional reserve banking system and a central bank was just the problem that Satoshi had and the reason why Bitcoin was created.  

This is a absolutely terrible idea.
I agree. Avoiding to have to deal with central bankers and having to trust others with your wealth was one of the main reasons that bitcoin was created.

I also don't think it would really be possible to even implement something like this. A central bank would essentially need to be able to print it's local fiat currency which for the most part is very difficult to do. The bitcoin related banking infrastructure is simply not in place for a central bank to be able to properly function.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:49:35 PM

GEt out.

I love Bitcoin but rejecting fractional reserve banking wholesale is entirely irrational and, I would argue, impossible for anyone in favor of free markets to advocate. And no, I won't get out.

If Bitcoin is as successful as I hope it will be we will have fractional reserve banking, and yes, it will apply to Bitcoins just as it applied to gold. Some people here claim that it is impossible, but to me that just shows that they don't understand what fractional reserve banking is.

The blockchain provides only storage, not the other functions of banks. This guy gets it:

You want to buy a house, but you don't have the bitcoins so you need to borrow them. Where are you going to borrow them from if there are no banks?

Fair enough.  I say let the free market decide and let people choose their own risk level.
Provable reserve levels are a great vehicle for this.  maybe we will see something where
80% reserves are acceptable to people but 10% isn't.

romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:59:14 PM

so that we can have btc fractional reserve which most of us already hate ? But there are people out there are cool with fractional.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 12:13:48 AM

I think Bitcoin banks and lending are fine, as long as the blockchain remains as the medium for transactions and not some off-chain trading system dealing in paper bitcoins.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: