Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 09:22:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why There Should Be A Bitcoin Central Bank  (Read 18283 times)
EndlessStory

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 04:27:45 PM

Indeed I agree there should be a central bank for bitcoin for reducing price fluctuations, and keeping inflation in control.

Nice idea.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 04:33:53 PM

Bitcoin requires a hell of a lot more trust than you think.

Really, how so? (please stick to bitcoin protocol) I think the issue with a 51% attack and trusting the huge mining pools that are in control of Bitcoins security is a protocol issue (but I'm sure you'll correct me whether I'm right or wrong).

Organizations and agencies aren't evil, the people controlling them are evil.

Fail: Organizations and agencies ARE the people controlling them. I'm not even sure what that means. Governments become different things all the time depending on who's elected to office.

There are quite a few evil people in Bitcoinland too.

Evil? well that's a word I would reserve for moral crimes. I wouldn't call Pirate evil, a scoundrel, a scammer, yes.

Full Definition of EVIL

a :  morally reprehensible :  sinful, wicked <an evil impulse>
b :  arising from actual or imputed bad character or conduct <a person of evil reputation>

But yes of course there are many people playing strategically in all areas one might care to investigate. Start with the Bitcoin Foundation: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/16/us-bitcoin-foundation-resignations-idUSBREA4F02B20140516

Your ideas aren't exactly new and have had limited success.

Of course, I never proclaimed my ideas were new.

Success? I am just discussing central authority and how it relates to bitcoin. Bitcoin already has plenty of central authority in mining, leadership, development and business leadership. Why not have centralization that can propel it forward.

I wish you a good journey. Thank you, you too.

boraf

Activity: 315
Merit: 103

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 04:40:36 PM

Having a bitcoin central bank kind of defeat the whole purpose of bitcoin peer-to-peer protocol.

With that being said, there is no reason why people can't build a centralized banking system using bitcoin for those who prefer it. People who do not want to be part of it can still do whatever they want with their bitcoin.
meadefreling

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 04:56:19 PM

There shouldn't be any central bank for bitcoin because it will just inflate the money supply. The blockchain is the central "bank" in the form of a ledger.

Honestly, i concur with every thing you have stated about the blockchain as the central bank considering its functions.

Heutenamos

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Act #Neutral,Think y'self as a citizen of Universe

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 04:59:42 PM

It is always risky to have just Bitcoin IOU, and even too big to fail argument is off, Mt.Gox showed how much your Bitcoin IOU can become worthless in very short time.

yo
Hasher99

Activity: 66

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 05:08:31 PM

I agree there should be a central bank for bitcoins but the there are already some people working as bitcoin bank, hoarding thousands of coins, and probably the makers of BTC>
Cortex7

Activity: 238
Merit: 106

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 05:24:46 PM
Last edit: August 26, 2014, 05:39:35 PM by Cortex7

I think the issue with a 51% attack and trusting the huge mining pools that are in control of Bitcoins security is a protocol issue (but I'm sure you'll correct me whether I'm right or wrong). [/color]

I stand corrected, that issue should be addressed at protocol level.

I'm not even sure what that means. Governments become different things all the time depending on who's elected to office.

You said "Organizations and agencies aren't evil, the people controlling them are evil.", which to my mind means nothing as I think an organisations simply can't exist without people.

Importnant thing, money and military plans, remain unchanged. A country who changed long term plans each time a "party" was swapped out would quickly become vunerable in the global arena. The democratic voting system is a layer on top of "real" government.

a :  morally reprehensible :  sinful, wicked <an evil impulse>
b :  arising from actual or imputed bad character or conduct <a person of evil reputation>

In my opinion the word "evil" is about as far as one can go and ought to be saved for those comiting moral crimes (a).

(b) is purely subjective and we all have different thresholds on this.

If I had to choose between who to be locked in a log cabin with between pirate and a mass murderer then I know who I would choose, pirate any day! Sure I may leave the cabin with no loose change in my pockets, but I doubt I would have a scratch on me.

Bitcoin already has plenty of central authority in mining, leadership, development and business leadership. Why not have centralization that can propel it forward.

Yes centralisation is inevitable, and with it can come good, but it will always creep toward corruption, natural selection of behaviour will make it so.
Cortex7

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 05:32:20 PM

Indeed I agree there should be a central bank for bitcoin for reducing price fluctuations, and keeping inflation in control

Nice idea.

Reduced price fluctuation will happen as userbase grows.

Bitcoin already controls its own inflation.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3261

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 09:54:18 PM

I feel like there are many people in this conversation that don't know what a central bank does.

A central bank:

1. Prints money (manages the money supply).
2. Regulates fractional reserve banking.
3. Loans money to banks and facilitates loans between banks.

A Bitcoin central bank can't do #1, but there is no reason why it couldn't do #2 and #3 (unless you believe FRB is impossible with Bitcoin).

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
LeMiner

Activity: 139

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 10:16:08 PM

I feel like there are many people in this conversation that don't know what a central bank does.

A central bank:

1. Prints money (manages the money supply).: 2. Regulates fractional reserve banking.

A Bitcoin central bank can't do #1, but there is no reason why it couldn't do #2 and #3 (unless you believe FRB is impossible with Bitcoin).

Quote from: odolvlobo
1. Prints money (manages the money supply).:
correction; creates inflation (devaluation of a currency), loans to otherwise insolvent organizations (governments, banks, etc), creates currency to pay off previous unpaid debt

Quote from: odolvlobo
How are they going to manage fractional reserve banking if they don't have the "bitcoin-printing" capabilities to absorb any bank-runs by immediate lending to the "bitcoin-banks"? The "bitcoin-banks" wont have enough real bitcoins to answer customer demand.

Quote from: odolvlobo3.
Loans money to banks and facilitates loans between banks.
No printing capacity = no loans, and no devaluation of send lend currency would make paying back the loan extremely expensive

This could only work if people invest in a "bitcoin-central-bank", which would mean the central bank would have to apply fractional reserve themselves.... I guess you can see where this is going. A bitcoin central-central-bank to catch the bitcoin-central-bank as it falls?
Cortex7

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 11:31:10 PM
Last edit: August 26, 2014, 11:42:13 PM by Cortex7

A central bank:

1. Prints money (manages the money supply).

Of course, FRB sytem is possible with any trusted token.

But realise that FRB does (in effect) print money, that's how it achieves the fractional ratio.

The fractional ratio can be adjusted and hence some control can be gained over money supply as perceived by users.

For every $X deposited by a user, a FRB is able to (though regulatory oversight) create $Y book entry out of thin air, and is then able to lend that newly created $Y to other users at interest. The fractional ratio detemines Y/X.

Initially FRBs can offer large interest to account holders (giving them a cut of loan repayment profits), I remember getting ~10% in a savings account sometime in the 80s.

Lately these interest rates payed to FRB users have dwindled away to nothing, and were just left with the risk of the bank only able to cover on average 10% of our savings (drop the zero) that's pretty shitty!
itsAj

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 11:49:00 PM

Sometimes watching this forum is like watching kids grow up. That's not a negative thing. In fact, it's kind of cool to watch especially with someone that has taken a hard line view for a long time. Then some major event happens like Pirates Ponzi and they come to the realization that things work the way they do for a reason. You can almost see them saying in their heads, "now I know why fraud controls exist, now I know why the Fed is there, now I understand the reason for banks and lending, now I understand international trade controls, now I know the reason for legislating financial controls, now I know why the barter system was replaced, now I know why you don't trust strangers.........
I think a lot of people understand that bitcoin is "trustless" and somehow think that nothing can go wrong with giving someone else your bitcoin to "invest" or by sending money first to someone they don't know, and don't have a reason to trust. They think that "trustless" means they do not need to exercise their judgment in trusting others.
titulng

Activity: 484
Merit: 250

HubrisOne

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 03:06:58 AM

the forbes author seems to have a great deal of research, but I think just need to have a regulatory body rather than banks

◆

▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄▄▄            ▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██       ██      ██       ██      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄      ██      ▐██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▄▄██▀▀▀██▄▄        ▀██▄     ██      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀       ██      ██       ██              ██               ██      ██      ██              ██▀       ▀██         ██▄    ██      ▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██      ██       ██      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀      ██      ▐██▄▄▄▄        ▐█           █▌      █▄ ▀██   ██      ██▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██      ██       ██      ██▀▀▀▀▀██        ██▀▀▀▀▀▀        ██        ▀▀▀▀██▄      ▐█           █▌      ██   ██▄ ██      ██▀▀▀▀
██       ██      ██       ██      ██      ██       ██   ▄▄         ██             ▐█▌     ▐█▄         ▄█▌      ██    ▀█▄██      ██
██       ██       ██▄   ▄██       ██     ▄█▀       ██    ▀█▄       ██            ▄██       ▀██▄▄   ▄▄██▀       ██     ▀███      ██
██       ██        ▀▀███▀▀        ████████▀        ██      ▀█      ██      ███████▀           ▀▀███▀▀          ██       ██      ██████████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

██████████████████████████████████████████████

▄███████████▄     
██▀       ▐█▀█▄   
██        ▐█  ▀█▄ 
██        ▐█    ▀█▄
██        ▝▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██               ██
██  ███████████  ██
██               ██
██  ██████       ██
██               ██
██▄             ▄██
▀█████████████████▀
WP

bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 04:59:08 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2014, 07:13:59 AM by bitcats

http://www.n-tv.de/ratgeber/Sendungen/Die-beliebteste-Bank-article11309586.html

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 05:11:49 PM

Could you translate for the people who don't speak German?

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 06:28:26 PM

https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.n-tv.de%2Fratgeber%2FSendungen%2FDie-beliebteste-Bank-article11309586.html

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 06:46:08 PM

Automatic translations are bad Sad

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
arxwn

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 08:11:23 PM

Yes create a bitcoin central bank, a bitcoin tax authority a bitcoin government and bitcoin empire.
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:43:27 PM

the forbes author seems to have a great deal of research, but I think just need to have a regulatory body rather than banks
I agree. I don't think a central bank would be such of a good idea. The money supply is already controlled by the bitcoin protocol, which is all that a central bank can do.

zendantom

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 10:10:36 PM

So basically hardly anyone understands what the central bank is for. This is what I call clever scam. Fortunatelly Bitcoin is fully transparent, and Bitcoin basically works as most believe it should work, like only being able to spend existing coin, which can be spend later on by someone else.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: