Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 07:37:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why There Should Be A Bitcoin Central Bank  (Read 18283 times)
Aemon

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 01:51:43 PM

Why would we need a central bank?  I don't understand the purpose of trying to get a bank involved into Bitcoin.  I think Bitcoin was purely created for the opposite purpose. 
Cortex7

Activity: 238
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 05:36:59 PM

Why would we need a central bank?  I don't understand the purpose of trying to get a bank involved into Bitcoin.  I think Bitcoin was purely created for the opposite purpose. 

The purpose would be:

Enrich the group of people running the bank.

It's a stupid idea (unless you're the schmuck running it).
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3261

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 07:03:36 PM

Why would we need a central bank?  I don't understand the purpose of trying to get a bank involved into Bitcoin.  I think Bitcoin was purely created for the opposite purpose.  

The logic is simple:

1. There will be Bitcoin banks because many people like to have someone else hold their money (for example, all the people with money in their Coinbase accounts and on exchanges).

2. These banks will loan out their deposits (because they can and it generates a profit). That means fractional reserve banking for Bitcoin.

3. A Bitcoin central bank facilitating inter-bank lending of reserves will lower the occurrence of Bitcoin bank defaults.

There should be a Bitcoin central bank.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Aemon

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 07:08:46 PM

The logic is simple:

1. There will be Bitcoin banks because many people like to have someone else hold their money (for example, all the people with money in their Coinbase accounts and on exchanges).

2. These banks will loan out their deposits (because they can and it generates a profit). That means fractional reserve banking for Bitcoin.

3. A Bitcoin central bank facilitating inter-bank lending of reserves will lower the occurrence of Bitcoin bank defaults.

1.  So you are saying that Coinbase is a bank, and therefore this post is not needed?

If you have a bitcoin central  bank it will need to be monitored by someone, therefore you are throwing the government in so that they can tax the bitcoin bank, and it would be then have to be backed up by something physical, thus destroying the idea of a bitcoin bank.  My personal opinion anyway
btc-facebook
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 06:22:25 PM

Why would we need a central bank?  I don't understand the purpose of trying to get a bank involved into Bitcoin.  I think Bitcoin was purely created for the opposite purpose.  

The logic is simple:

The proposed NY regulations would actually prevent 2 from happening as the regulations would require that any exchange hold an amount of bitcoin equal to or greater then the amount of bitcoin owed to their customers via deposits

EDIT: I would also prevent 3 as well as there would be no point for 3 if 2 cannot happen
Aemon

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 01:27:07 PM

If Coinbase (already holding peoples coins) is one of the reasons because people like other people to hold their money, then why do you think we need another bank?
SanMerryDro

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 01:46:58 AM

If Coinbase (already holding peoples coins) is one of the reasons because people like other people to hold their money, then why do you think we need another bank?
you mean coinbase is a bitcoinbank?
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 03:01:55 AM

We need another bank to compete with Coinbase, of course.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Eisenhower34
Legendary

Activity: 906
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 07:38:14 AM

We need another bank to compete with Coinbase, of course.
We have circle and we have many exchanges that work in very similar ways that coinbase works.

While I personally think that if you want to allow a third party to control the private keys that hold your bitcoin, that coinbase is likely the safest service to use, this is generally a very bad idea, especially for larger amounts
Gine.Unnta

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 07:49:32 AM

you mean coinbase is a bitcoinbank?
Although coinbase is not a bank, but it already has a savings function of banks. So many Bitcoin exchanges are too.
LiberyOrDeath

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 04:15:53 PM

The notion of a Bitcoin central bank is going against all the principles that BTC and crypto stand for, it sounds repulsive to me and to many others who share libertarian philosophy.
mullerdan

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 11:58:02 AM

Bitcoin central bank ? very bad idea ! each bitcoin's owner is his own bank that all !
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 03:31:10 PM

Bitcoin central bank ? very bad idea ! each bitcoin's owner is his own bank that all !

Oh, you are a bank? I'd like to see you loan someone money to buy a house.

Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 07:23:31 PM

Oh, you are a bank? I'd like to see you loan someone money to buy a house.

Well people should not act as every function of a bank (generally individuals are not very good at being able to measure the risk of a particular loan, and as such should not be lending - even in a p2p fashion). What they should be doing is protecting their money in a similar way that a bank will protect their depositor's money
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2014, 02:50:23 AM

Just let bitcoin free and decentralized. No can claim the right to own the network

Jamie_Boulder

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2014, 03:16:27 AM

There are two sides of this argument that both make very good points.

For:
As the article points out we would have a central authority with the ability to audit these exchanges and penalize them for any wrong doing, we would also have a public ledger of trusted Bitcoin exchanges for people to use which makes things a lot easier on newbies entering the market.

Against:
Sounds like we're trying to rebuild a system we already have and that's failing us everyday, with corruption allegations and convictions related to these central authorities in the fiat world how do we make sure we don't make the same mistakes again? is it even possible? greed exists everywhere I'm afraid - even in the virtual currency world.

bitnanigans

Activity: 266

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 05:10:28 AM

I thought one of the key factors of Bitcoin was decentralisation. A central bank would be going against this core tenet.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 03:30:23 PM

For:
As the article points out we would have a central authority with the ability to audit these exchanges and penalize them for any wrong doing,

Against: this function does not require a central bank. As half of the exchanges' business is fiat, there are already mechanisms in place to police this activity.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 04:46:42 PM

For:
As the article points out we would have a central authority with the ability to audit these exchanges and penalize them for any wrong doing,

Against: this function does not require a central bank. As half of the exchanges' business is fiat, there are already mechanisms in place to police this activity.

The function of a Bitcoin central bank would be to protect member banks against bank runs. Because member banks would be at risk from each other, they would agree to follow certain rules and submit to regular audits.

ninjaskip

Activity: 574

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 05:16:19 PM

For:

The function of a Bitcoin central bank would be to protect member banks against bank runs. Because member banks would be at risk from each other, they would agree to follow certain rules and submit to regular audits.

The hobbit Satoshi would be sad.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: