Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:38:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Mobile Bitcoin Wallet for Android?  (Read 17359 times)
BusyBeaverHP (OP)

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 02:14:21 AM

I'm currently using Mycelium as my mobile wallet, and so far the user-end experience is smooth and flawless, but because it uses a centralized service by default, I have to trust them to not hide or simulate payment. Honest and altruistic they may be, this really defeats the purpose of bitcoin, so on to the next wallet...

The wallet must at least meet the below requirements:

1. Encrypted Backup - The ability to generate encrypted backup, 'nuff said.

2. Decentralization - Must use the Bitcoin Network, and not a third-party server that directs traffic to aforementioned network.

3. Security - Must offer security measures such as PIN and/or TFA to spend money. I would assume that if my phone is stolen, that such measures would afford me time to take my coins out via encrypted backup.

https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

So far, Green Address and Hive seems to have met the above requirements. Any argument for/against one or the other?

Thank you ahead of time.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 05:19:31 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2014, 05:13:31 AM by Dare

I personally prefer the original Android bitcoin wallet by Schildbach: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet

It supports AES-256 encrypted backups (which I had to recover from once when I accidentally uninstalled the app, and worked fine), and it's decentralized. Its only disadvantage is that it doesn't have any sort of PIN/password protection (generally your phone is the second factor for TFA, so implementing it on a mobile app would be inconvenient) on accessing keys or sending coins, so you'd have to password-protect your entire phone.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
DhaniBoy

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 05:48:46 PM

I prefer use blockchain.info for the mobile wallet, there is a few security system which makes its user comfortable, GUI is so familiar and easy to use it

you may visit https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=piuk.blockchain.android&hl=in

hopefully you can enjoy it ...

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:08:15 PM

Any wallet that is connected directly to the Bitcoin network has to be a full node and not an SPV wallet. Does one exist for mobile devices?

I don't believe Green Address and Hive meet your criteria. The blockchain.info wallet goes through the blockchain.info server.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
nabeton

Activity: 137

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 11:46:24 PM

electrum supports android, but I dont know how about you other criteria

Domino

Activity: 662

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 06:34:38 PM

electrum supports android, but I dont know how about you other criteria

Electrum is a thin client, and it connects to a list of servers. So it doesn't satisfy OP's requirement.

androidlai

Activity: 190

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 07:06:41 PM

I'm afraid no wallet can fully meet OP's requirements

If I must choose one now, I have to choose the blockchain.info mobile wallet. It's not decentralizated though. At least if my phone is stolen, blockchain.info mobile wallet has PIN protected and I still have time to quickly move my coins with any browser connected to the internet

QORA | NEW CODE | Qfm2AHBxqUwPqjmRtHivusPgcf3N3cebQi
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 11:34:42 PM

i hope one best android wallet will emerge in coming years, because now im too scared to use them
mezmerizer9

Activity: 782
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 11:57:00 PM

I'm currently using Mycelium as my mobile wallet, and so far the user-end experience is smooth and flawless, but because it uses a centralized service by default, I have to trust them to not hide or simulate payment. Honest and altruistic they may be, this really defeats the purpose of bitcoin, so on to the next wallet...

The wallet must at least meet the below requirements:

1. Encrypted Backup - The ability to generate encrypted backup, 'nuff said.

2. Decentralization - Must use the Bitcoin Network, and not a third-party server that directs traffic to aforementioned network.

3. Security - Must offer security measures such as PIN and/or TFA to spend money. I would assume that if my phone is stolen, that such measures would afford me time to take my coins out via encrypted backup.

https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

So far, Green Address and Hive seems to have met the above requirements. Any argument for/against one or the other?

Thank you ahead of time.

Best android wallet, in my opinion, is blockchains. I started with that wallet when I started with bitcoins and I'm still using it. Very good.

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████?7?3████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution       

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation 

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

maurya78

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 11:57:21 AM

I have on occasion used blockchain's mobile app
Works pretty well, good integration

bitkilo
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 11:12:12 AM

I belive this thread could be useful here
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=271834.0
Could be a bit old but maybe still worth checking.

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 12:29:30 PM

I personally prefer the original Android bitcoin wallet by Schildbach: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet

Me too! It is a great app and a better once. Blockchain.info is synced with another server, right? It is nice though. What about Mycelium? You can try it. It is a good app. Smiley

~~MZ~~

fantasticoin

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 01:15:07 PM

Any ios users here? Any iphone app that can be used as bitcoin wallet?
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 01:20:00 PM

Blockchain has some nice features on it.  Such as finding places that take BTC.

I would not use a mobile wallet for big amounts of bit coin but spending money.
bitsmichel

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 01:38:27 PM

Right, the Android platform has lots of malware on it. For big amounts use another storage  Smiley

iluvbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1150

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 01:44:26 PM

I used GreenAddress, it's awesome

You get 1 instant confirmation

No waiting Smiley

Pretty encrypted too

Looking for a signature campaign.
cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 02:35:14 PM

I like the coinbase mobile wallet,but that is not with your wallet in the mobile
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 12:20:05 PM

Any ios users here? Any iphone app that can be used as bitcoin wallet?

Yeah! I personally use bitWallet and it is just better than others. If you just want an address in the wallet, then I recommend using coinpocket. Remember, if you use coinpocket, you can not add any other address. OR you can use greenaddress. In that too, you can't import address and it is online wallet but it is good. Considering all features, bitWallet is the best.

~~MZ~~

Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 12:24:28 PM

Right, the Android platform has lots of malware on it. For big amounts use another storage  Smiley

+1. Yeah it is very dangerous. If you are using, make a back up, so that the BTC can be recovered if the phone is lost and also don't ever root your phone. If your phone is rooted, AVG should be installed and if it report any app, then read it carefully and if it access home directory, uninstall it ASAP.

~~MZ~~

catlinhappy

Activity: 126

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 04:03:21 PM

A friend of mine uses GreenAddress, and he has often boasted on how perfect its working may be you should give it a try.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: