Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:08:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ask TF thread  (Read 21563 times)
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 01:45:38 PM

Not sure how this will turn out, but ask TradeFortress anything Smiley (instead of polluting all the threads I reply to.)

How do u feel when u see people are getting Goxed and Stamped ?

Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3057

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 08:46:45 PM

even though there is also no way we will ever probably know if you stole the coins or if they were actually stolen

TF stole the coins.

If you remember, about 3 months before the theft, TF blocked ALL personal messages on the forum, forcing everyone to email him.  He didn't want Theymos to see what he was doing.

It's like a smoking gun.  Or someone who changes their will right before they die in an "accident".  TF knew he was going to scam, and he planned for it.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Vortex20000

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

sucker got hacked and screwed --Toad

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 06:10:13 AM

even though there is also no way we will ever probably know if you stole the coins or if they were actually stolen

TF stole the coins.

If you remember, about 3 months before the theft, TF blocked ALL personal messages on the forum, forcing everyone to email him.  He didn't want Theymos to see what he was doing.

It's like a smoking gun.  Or someone who changes their will right before they die in an "accident".  TF knew he was going to scam, and he planned for it.
95% he stole them or 100% he stole them?

bitspill
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 06:16:13 AM

TF stole the coins.

If you remember, about 3 months before the theft, TF blocked ALL personal messages on the forum, forcing everyone to email him.  He didn't want Theymos to see what he was doing.

It's like a smoking gun.  Or someone who changes their will right before they die in an "accident".  TF knew he was going to scam, and he planned for it.
    __
99.99% he stole them

No one will ever know what really happened though but that seems to be the consensus.
I even lost 1 BTC at CL.

{ BitSpill }
Vortex20000

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

sucker got hacked and screwed --Toad

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 06:19:49 AM

TF stole the coins.

If you remember, about 3 months before the theft, TF blocked ALL personal messages on the forum, forcing everyone to email him.  He didn't want Theymos to see what he was doing.

It's like a smoking gun.  Or someone who changes their will right before they die in an "accident".  TF knew he was going to scam, and he planned for it.
    __
99.99% he stole them

No one will ever know what really happened though but that seems to be the consensus.
I even lost 1 BTC at CL.
Sometimes I wonder whether it would have been good for me to be an early adopter and get some goodies and get scammed or be what I am - a late adopter - and not get anything. Smiley

bitspill
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 06:23:20 AM

Speaking of which... it appears TF or $username has ~16 BTC sitting in his known bitcoin wallet not associated with inputs.io/CoinLenders

https://blockchain.info/address/1GLadosEkeAsLReqS3yQ51E1R3wVtbJCDF

So if you would like to use a portion of that to refund my 1 BTC that was supposedly safe at CoinLenders it'd be appreciated. You can keep the some odd interest that I had earned so long as I get the original 1 BTC back, the USD price is probably about the same as it was when I deposited also.

BTC Addr: 1GvUbiK1bevSqQjmXgNAtW5yJs11KYV35W

{ BitSpill }
toddtervy

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 06:58:30 PM

TF, I remember some of your sites before the 'fiasco'.  Seemed you had very good coding skill.  Are you working on any projects, or cryptocoin I am wondering?

Get off my c@ck !
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:00:20 PM

TF, I remember some of your sites before the 'fiasco'.  Seemed you had very good coding skill.  Are you working on any projects, or cryptocoin I am wondering?

He claims to have lost over 4k bitcoins, how is that very good coding skill? (we know he stole it, but how can you call him a good coder when he says he lost it?)

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:19:51 PM

I honestly can't remember if I cleaned out my CL account, I had always thought I left a bit to appreciate locked in. As it was used in loans, but the site went down and I'll never know.

What happened TF, we chatted so often, it all just went downhill from there Sad

EDIT:
Thank you for removing that feedback.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 09:58:58 PM

He claims to have lost over 4k bitcoins, how is that very good coding skill? (we know he stole it, but how can you call him a good coder when he says he lost it?)
I believe he was a decent programmer. Even if this wasn't a inside job, it doesn't make you a bad programmer that you missed something which someone else found out. Peoples brains operate differently, or may be more skilled. It doesn't make him a bad programmer.

Although, for holding such a large amount of coins, he should of invested in some penetration testing. (He might have) But, as far as I'm aware he coded it himself and probably didn't think it would be a problem checking for security issues himself.

Sadly, I too had money stored there. Which I didn't get back (lucky I was wise enough not to store much there), But I'm not going to go throw shit at the wall and call him a bad programmer. I might.

It doesn't matter if I believe he stole it or not, we can't prove it and we are speculating.
DebitMe
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 10:03:21 PM

I believe he was a decent programmer. Even if this wasn't a inside job, it doesn't make you a bad programmer that you missed something which someone else found out. Peoples brains operate differently, or may be more skilled. It doesn't make him a bad programmer.

Although, for holding such a large amount of coins, he should of invested in some penetration testing. (He might have) But, as far as I'm aware he coded it himself and probably didn't think it would be a problem checking for security issues himself.

Sadly, I too had money stored there. Which I didn't get back (lucky I was wise enough not to store much there), But I'm not going to go throw shit at the wall and call him a bad programmer.

Touche, the websites did operate well and efficiently, which would have taken coding skills.  I guess I should have called him an idiot for leaving that much in a hot wallet.  So I would suppose stupid but gifted at programming is a better way to describe him.  Also a liar for telling people he would back up funds with his own and a liar for saying he wasn't going to keep that much in the hot wallet.  You could also argue a thief, depending on what you believe happened to the coins.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰 (OP)
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 12:24:19 AM

It wasn't a programming bug. The exact vulnerability is described in Brain Eha's upcoming book Walking the Silk Road (inputs has its own section!!), but the gist was the attacker managed to reset the password on a chain of my emails, and get into the server control panel. There was no programming bug.

Inputs had been penetration tested regularly, and on security-critical projects I regularly spend upwards of $5000 on a thorough pentest by professional security forums.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 12:30:21 AM

Touche, the websites did operate well and efficiently, which would have taken coding skills.  I guess I should have called him an idiot for leaving that much in a hot wallet.  So I would suppose stupid but gifted at programming is a better way to describe him.  Also a liar for telling people he would back up funds with his own and a liar for saying he wasn't going to keep that much in the hot wallet.  You could also argue a thief, depending on what you believe happened to the coins.

This is the sticking point with me. TF was smart enough to know that you can't fully secure anything, and even if you make it so hard it isn't worth it, there's always social engineering. Leaving that much sitting around was foolish, and I don't think he's a fool. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, I don't know.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰 (OP)
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 02:46:42 AM

Inputs had been penetration tested regularly, and on security-critical projects I regularly spend upwards of $5000 on a thorough pentest by professional security forums firms.
made a typo.

This is the sticking point with me. TF was smart enough to know that you can't fully secure anything, and even if you make it so hard it isn't worth it, there's always social engineering. Leaving that much sitting around was foolish, and I don't think he's a fool. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, I don't know.
Yeah, I don't have any explanation other than (i) lazyness (the system wasn't set up to make sending to cold storage easy, and it had to be performed manually), (ii) wanting to keep sufficient amounts on the server so nobody worries/panics, and (iii) about 1500 BTC was deposited within 48 hrs of the hack.

The later systems I've built do make sending to cold storage easier, but for the most recent site it was still an manual process. I intend on doing automatic cold storage transfers (hourly cronjob) for my future projects.
DebitMe
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:28:08 AM

Inputs had been penetration tested regularly, and on security-critical projects I regularly spend upwards of $5000 on a thorough pentest by professional security forums firms.
made a typo.

Yeah, I don't have any explanation other than (i) lazyness (the system wasn't set up to make sending to cold storage easy, and it had to be performed manually), (ii) wanting to keep sufficient amounts on the server so nobody worries/panics, and (iii) about 1500 BTC was deposited within 48 hrs of the hack.

The later systems I've built do make sending to cold storage easier, but for the most recent site it was still an manual process. I intend on doing automatic cold storage transfers (hourly cronjob) for my future projects.

Do you feel any responsibility or remorse for those people that got screwed because of you?  Still feeling the pinch because part of my wedding budget was in coinlenders, as well as, my fiancée's tuition money, and as far as I knew you were going to reimburse people from your own personal stash if anything went wrong (those were the terms I agreed to and was never asked to agree to something different), so I felt like they were pretty safe and obviously wasn't my whole amount.  Do you think its fair to sit on a couple hundred shares of AsicMiner, as well as other securities and bitcoin, and leave those you damaged as if nothing happened?  Certainly if you think that all of that is OK, you will show yourself at some conference or give out your personal details so people can talk with you face to face, because you don't think you did anything wrong, why would others?

doggieTattoo

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:41:22 AM

You were once one of the most trusted members of bitcointalk. Now many of the threads you post in and the posts you make, and the threads you make are trolled with people saying how much of a thief (they think) you are.

Do you think you will ever be able to rebuild your reputation on bitcointalk and throughout the bitcoin community?

Does anyone have your dox or know your RL identity?

TIDEX ▬▬ .CRYPTO COINS AND ASSET TRADING. ▬▬ TIDEX
▬▬▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▬▬
NEW EXCHANGE   ZERO FEES
bitspill
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:44:09 AM

Certainly if you think that all of that is OK, you will show yourself at some conference or give out your personal details so people can talk with you face to face, because you don't think you did anything wrong, why would others?
Charlie Hedbo thought they did nothing wrong but someone did,  now 12 are dead. http://m.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30710883

If you were TF right now would you reveal your identity?

Even when he was highly trusted TF wished to remain anonymous, why would he reveal himself when there is so much bad blood towards him?

{ BitSpill }
DebitMe
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:46:05 AM

Certainly if you think that all of that is OK, you will show yourself at some conference or give out your personal details so people can talk with you face to face, because you don't think you did anything wrong, why would others?
Charlie Hedbo thought they did nothing wrong but someone did,  now 12 are dead. http://m.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30710883

Even when he was highly trusted TF wished to remain anonymous, why would he reveal himself when there is so much bad blood towards him?

exactly my point to prove that people hold him responsible and that he owes the community still.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰 (OP)
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:46:32 AM

Do you feel any responsibility or remorse for those people that got screwed because of you?  Still feeling the pinch because part of my wedding budget was in coinlenders, as well as, my fiancée's tuition money, and as far as I knew you were going to reimburse people from your own personal stash if anything went wrong (those were the terms I agreed to and was never asked to agree to something different), so I felt like they were pretty safe and obviously wasn't my whole amount.  Do you think its fair to sit on a couple hundred shares of AsicMiner, as well as other securities and bitcoin, and leave those you damaged as if nothing happened?  Certainly if you think that all of that is OK, you will show yourself at some conference or give out your personal details so people can talk with you face to face, because you don't think you did anything wrong, why would others?
I'm sorry for how CL/Inputs ended.

doggieTattoo

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:46:55 AM

So I take it that his RL identity is not known by anyone in the community?

TIDEX ▬▬ .CRYPTO COINS AND ASSET TRADING. ▬▬ TIDEX
▬▬▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▬▬
NEW EXCHANGE   ZERO FEES
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: