Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:31:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's wrong with the avatars?  (Read 1005 times)
pandalion98 (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 12:59:20 PM

It says "Changing avatars is currently not possible."

What's up?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 03:20:03 PM

This is what's up:

Q: Why doesn't the forum let me add an avatar?
A: The forum was hacked some time ago. It is thought that the avatars were used as a means of injecting malicious code into the forum. Even though the vulnerability was patched, the avatars will be disabled until a new forum software is released.

Q: So when is the new forum software coming?
A: Well, according to theymos, some time after February 2015.

<...>
When will the software be finished?

About one year from now.
<...>

Source: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=703657.0

Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 05:05:00 PM

Additional information on why the avatars were disabled, to quote myself from the last time this question came up:

Any progress?

Please turn off this forum! The avatars are the only advantage over a mailing list. This is bitter but true. Give something better a chance. Give up!

I'm pretty sure that avatars will be disabled until at least the new forum is out and being used - as theymos has stated it was removed due to an exploit made possible by avatars and though I believe the exploit has been patched he is not keen on restoring the functionality.

From what I've heard, pretty much. The exploit involved uploading a php script instead of an image into an executable directory, then using it to put some (slightly) malicious Javascript into the forum's MOTD so that it ran on every page. I followed the troubleshooting and analysis through IRC while it was being fixed immediately after the hack, but it seems that avatars may be disabled for a while anyway.

Though the exploit used has been patched, it's been long enough that I suspect new avatars may remain disabled until the new forum software is put into place, but those who had them before the hack like me were able to keep them (though we can't change our avatars either).

As mprep said, avatars will remain disabled until the new forum software is released, confirming my guess above.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 12:30:20 AM

As mprep said, avatars will remain disabled until the new forum software is released, confirming my guess above.

To be clear, avatars are not disabled. Changing of avatars is disabled.

Buy & Hold
Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2014, 05:01:21 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2014, 05:14:25 AM by Dare

To be clear, avatars are not disabled. Changing of avatars is disabled.

Correct, though since my own avatar is next to my post, and I mentioned that in the quote, I'd thought that was rather obvious. Wink

Specifically, no new avatars can be uploaded and those who have avatars can't change them. Avatars uploaded before the hack remain, but can only be removed by contacting forum admins.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: