Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 09:11:32 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sub-$500 mining rigs  (Read 2861 times)
cointalent (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 01:38:09 PM

We are doing an article on building a Bitcoin mining rig for under $500, I'd love to hear suggestions along with recommendations of tutorials that walk through the setup.

Also do you think it makes sense to build a rig for this little or do you sacrifice too much by keeping the budget so low?
pekatete

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 02:21:31 PM

We are doing an article on building a Bitcoin mining rig for under $500, I'd love to hear suggestions along with recommendations of tutorials that walk through the setup.

Also do you think it makes sense to build a rig for this little or do you sacrifice too much by keeping the budget so low?
What are the specs for the rig you intend to write on building?
For under $500, you can get 2 S3's with a combined stock hash-rate of 880 Gh/s @ 720 watts (plug and play!)
Does it make sense ... ? Money sense ...? Makers' sense ... ?

bmoscato

Activity: 361
Merit: 267

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 03:56:27 PM

For under $500, you can get 2 S3's with a combined stock hash-rate of 880 Gh/s @ 720 watts (plug and play!)

Two S3's with power supply?  From where?
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 04:53:07 PM

You most certainly won't get 2 S3s for under $500.

To the OP, there are a number of rigs that you can purchase for under your $500 mark.  I'm a bit confused by your statement that you wish to "build" a bitcoin mining rig for under $500.  You aren't building a PC to mine Bitcoin, and if that's what you're asking, you're about a year too late Wink.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
bmoscato

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 05:13:47 PM

My take is that the original poster wants to give options on how to start bitcoin mining for under 500 and get the best bang for his buck.  It sounds like he/she wants to put together a "how to" for noobs.
cointalent (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 12:07:24 AM

My take is that the original poster wants to give options on how to start bitcoin mining for under 500 and get the best bang for his buck.  It sounds like he/she wants to put together a "how to" for noobs.

You hit the nail on the head. Trying to put together a good nitro guide for people who want to get started mining for under $500. Thanks in advance for any assistance/advice!
bmoscato

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 01:18:21 AM

I don't know how to help you with the 500 dollar budget, but I can tell you to make sure that you include in your literature for the user to do their own due diligence. I made mistakes and wasted money that could've been placed in better hardware.

One of my friends recommended buying Antminer U1 and U2's... While being informative and helping me understand what mining was about, buying 20 of them in the 25 usd range was a bad judgement call on my part...  S1's can be bought for under 100 usd now, meaning that you are paying around .50 usd per GH/s.  Obviously you still need to factor in the cost of a PSU.
bmoscato

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:26:32 AM

The OP of this thread is building an info site:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=726024.0

His compilation of hardware with their expected earrings at the current difficulty:

http://www.bitcoineval.com/hardware.php
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:53:43 AM

One S3 is most likely your best bet if you have a PSU laying around.  1T is going to he a little higher so far.
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 8263

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 03:26:13 AM

One S3 is most likely your best bet if you have a PSU laying around.  1T is going to he a little higher so far.

You can buy yourself one of the new Asicminer Tubes for 1.04 bitcoin today.  Granted that is slightly over the $500 mark today but when I purchased mine last week, it was sub $500.  The Tube runs at around 880 GH/s but the real beauty of the tube is that assembly is required (at present) so you really get that sense of accomplishment when you get it up and running. 

CanaryInTheMine has set up a group buy so that you can buy them individually - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=735982.0

Asicminer is currently selling in batches of 10.

Worth checking out.

full disclosure: I bought a few Tubes and I own a couple Asicminer shares but I am not being paid for the ad in my sig.
infested999

Activity: 854

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 03:48:44 AM

Are you planning on building a GPU mining rig? Modern miners only need a Raspberry Pi to run off...

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
      ▄███▄    ▀▀▀     ▀▀▀    ▄███▄
      █████     ▄██▄ ▄██▄     █████
       ▀▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀██▀ ▀██▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▀
 ▄███▄     ▀██▀           ▀██▀     ▄███▄
 █████ ▄██▄                   ▄██▄ █████
  ▀▀▀  ▀██▀                   ▀██▀  ▀▀▀
                       ▄█
▄███▄ ▄██▄            ███ ███  ▄██▄ ▄███▄
█████ ▀██▀  ████      █████    ▀██▀ █████
 ▀▀▀         ▀███▄    ████           ▀▀▀
       ▄██▄    ████   ███     ▄██▄
 ▄███▄ ▀██▀     ▀███  ███     ▀██▀ ▄███▄
 █████            ███▄██           █████
  ▀▀▀              ▀████            ▀▀▀
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 01:24:16 PM

Are you planning on building a GPU mining rig? Modern miners only need a Raspberry Pi to run off...

GPU mining rig for Bitcoin (or even scrypt) is a total waste of your time and money.  Not worth considering.
OP was asking about Bitcoin mining rigs. 
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 01:26:30 PM

You can buy a paper shredder for $50 and put four hundred dollar bills into it.  It'll come in just under $500.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
bmoscato

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 01:44:18 PM

You can buy a paper shredder for $50 and put four hundred dollar bills into it.  It'll come in just under $500.

That was helpful...  I'm not sure how this sarcasm relates to someone trying to get started in mining?
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 06:02:41 PM

Now that it's been clarified you've got a $500 budget and are looking to get the best bang for the buck, you've pretty much been given the hardware choices.  At present, you can get about 3 S1s and a couple PSUs, or 1 S3 with a PSU, or one of those new tubes (although you're going to be a bit over your $500).  If the $500 is an absolute limit, then you're left with the S1s or the S3.

I don't own one of the tubes, though they are certainly interesting.  I particularly like the "build it yourself" aspect.  I might get one just to play with it Smiley

The S1 is last-generation tech... using 55nm BM1380 chips that draw about 2W per GH/s.  They were, and still are, workhorses.  Solid and stable, and at present you can probably grab them for about $100.  With your $500 cap, and assuming you've got to purchase everything including PSU, you'll be able to pick up 3 S1s and an EVGA 1300 G2 to power them (or you could pick up a couple Dell Server PSUs with breakout boards).  Overclocked, you're going to get 600GH/s for your $500.

The S3 is Bitmain's latest rig.  It uses the newer BM1382 28nm chip and draws about 0.77W per GH/s.  The later batches are far more predictable and stable, unlike the earlier ones.  I have units from batch 1, batch 4 and batch 5.  The batch 5 units are far more receptive to over clocking.  Some of the batch 1 units do not even hash at the advertised 441GH/s and had to be underclocked to run stable.  At present you're going to have to find a reseller because Bitmain is sold out, and will not be sending the next batch (dubbed S3+) until the 20th of September.  Like the S1, you need an external PSU, so factor that into your costs.  In this scenario, if you get a good unit, you'll get 504GH/s for your $500 with some cash leftover in your pocket.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
bmoscato

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 08:00:01 PM

Now that it's been clarified you've got a $500 budget and are looking to get the best bang for the buck, you've pretty much been given the hardware choices.  At present, you can get about 3 S1s and a couple PSUs, or 1 S3 with a PSU, or one of those new tubes (although you're going to be a bit over your $500).  If the $500 is an absolute limit, then you're left with the S1s or the S3.

I don't own one of the tubes, though they are certainly interesting.  I particularly like the "build it yourself" aspect.  I might get one just to play with it Smiley

The S1 is last-generation tech... using 55nm BM1380 chips that draw about 2W per GH/s.  They were, and still are, workhorses.  Solid and stable, and at present you can probably grab them for about $100.  With your $500 cap, and assuming you've got to purchase everything including PSU, you'll be able to pick up 3 S1s and an EVGA 1300 G2 to power them (or you could pick up a couple Dell Server PSUs with breakout boards).  Overclocked, you're going to get 600GH/s for your $500.

The S3 is Bitmain's latest rig.  It uses the newer BM1382 28nm chip and draws about 0.77W per GH/s.  The later batches are far more predictable and stable, unlike the earlier ones.  I have units from batch 1, batch 4 and batch 5.  The batch 5 units are far more receptive to over clocking.  Some of the batch 1 units do not even hash at the advertised 441GH/s and had to be underclocked to run stable.  At present you're going to have to find a reseller because Bitmain is sold out, and will not be sending the next batch (dubbed S3+) until the 20th of September.  Like the S1, you need an external PSU, so factor that into your costs.  In this scenario, if you get a good unit, you'll get 504GH/s for your $500 with some cash leftover in your pocket.

Who knew that an 0311 could string that many words together and make a coherent thought?  6093 here...   Grin

Semper Fi
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 09:56:03 PM

Who knew that an 0311 could string that many words together and make a coherent thought?  6093 here...   Grin

Semper Fi
Pretty amazing, huh?

Oooh-Rah!  Semper Fi, Devildog! 

xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 01:08:48 AM

Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code -
Whoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

It'll potentially cost you more than $500. 
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 01:13:16 AM

I would like to get one of the S3's but I have to do some load shedding first.  Appreciate the info!
cointalent (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2014, 01:40:17 AM

Solid answer, thanks for going into detail here. Do you think this setup will turn a profit or be more of a break-even hobby setup?

And as a follow-up to that, what do you think the minimum is that someone needs to spend to really make money mining?

Thanks in advance and I appreciate all the comments everyone else has provided so far as well, great community on here and looking forward to being a more active part of it!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: