Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:02:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Easywallet.org - web based wallet, iPhone/Android clients with QR Codes  (Read 8881 times)
Trader Steve

Activity: 836
Merit: 1007

"How do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time..."

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 04:16:25 PM

Two things:

1. @kangasbros: Didn't you used to be able to generate new receive address within the same EasyWallet? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.
2. I find that FriendlyPay is pretty much useless compared to the standard mobile-friendly web version since you don't seem to be able to send payments with it.

Nevertheless, I like InstaWallet because it's been around for a while and I like EasyWallet for the better features.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2012, 08:08:15 PM

2. I find that FriendlyPay is pretty much useless compared to the standard mobile-friendly web version since you don't seem to be able to send payments with it.
You can send funds from FriendlyPay

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 09:12:51 PM

I confirm: as of today it is available from the appstore (search: friendlypay)

Not actually from all appstores... But whatever.

Does this not get you to the app?
 - http://itunes.apple.com/en/app/friendlypay/id473941791?mt=8
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/FriendlyPay

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

kangasbros (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 10:55:15 PM

1. @kangasbros: Didn't you used to be able to generate new receive address within the same EasyWallet? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Easywallet generates automatically new addresses as you use them, eg receive something to them. However when transaction is made between two easywallets, transaction is instant and fee-free and no real bitcoin transaction is made, so no need for a new address.

Trader Steve

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 02:51:24 AM

Easywallet generates automatically new addresses as you use them, eg receive something to them. However when transaction is made between two easywallets, transaction is instant and fee-free and no real bitcoin transaction is made, so no need for a new address.

Excellent. So here's the trick question  Wink : Does it remember the old addresses? A situation may arise where I've already cycled through for a new address and a friend pays me at the previous address.
Trader Steve

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 02:55:56 AM

How so? On mine (iPhone version) all it does is:

1. Generates a QR code for scanning
2. Allows me to add additional wallets
3. Allows me to export the wallets
4. Allows me to share the wallet

I can't figure out how to send a payment to a btc address and I am unable to copy my btc payment address for pasting into another action. Am I missing something?
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 07:35:58 AM

Excellent. So here's the trick question  Wink : Does it remember the old addresses? A situation may arise where I've already cycled through for a new address and a friend pays me at the previous address.

Yes, it remembers the old addresses. Funds sent to any of your addresses will appear on your easywallet.org balance. I will try to think of a way to display the old addresses user-friendly in the UI.

kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 09:42:22 AM

Now Spanish translation added, thanks to vite ! (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=86329.0)

To create a new Spanish wallet: http://easywallet.org/es/faq/
FAQ in spanish: https://easywallet.org/es/faq

There are few glitches there and there, I try to get them fixed soon Smiley

Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 05:47:17 PM

How so? On mine (iPhone version) all it does is:

1. Generates a QR code for scanning
2. Allows me to add additional wallets
3. Allows me to export the wallets
4. Allows me to share the wallet

I can't figure out how to send a payment to a btc address and I am unable to copy my btc payment address for pasting into another action. Am I missing something?

To share your address via email or sms or copy it to clipboard, tap the "share" icon.

To send a payment,

1/ select a funded wallet (the "send coins" button does not show up on a zero balance wallet),
2/ pull up (scroll) the QR code tab to reveal the "send coins" button.
3/ the send button triggers the camera for scanning your destination address QR code
4/after the scan, you are prompted to enter the amount and validate: that's it !

By the way, the android version of instawallet is available too via Google Play, search "instawallet"

kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2012, 07:30:21 AM

Now there is a small "all" button, which shows all bitcoin addresses related to the specific wallet in use.

This was added because of many users got confused by the ever-changing bitcoin addresses. I will probably make the "use static address" default. However, I have to think about it a little while, since using single addresses compromises privacy.

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2012, 04:41:39 PM

Now there is a small "all" button, which shows all bitcoin addresses related to the specific wallet in use.

This was added because of many users got confused by the ever-changing bitcoin addresses. I will probably make the "use static address" default. However, I have to think about it a little while, since using single addresses compromises privacy.

It took me 1/2 an hour to explain the whole changing address thing to my mother in law...she at first thought all of bitcoin was a scam but eventaully came to understand how the changing address feature makes BTC more like cash.

I highly recommend using a static address by default. The newbie doesn't need to know all the privacy advantages and associated nuances...at worst, bitcoin risks being misunderstood as something intrinsically nefarious.

I would go so far as to say that the option to use a new address for each transaction should be made slightly difficult to get to (ie, anything not directly visible on the same screen as the balance /send money stuff...even further down on the page or hidden behind a folding menu on the same screen would be fine...those that can't find the option shouldn't be turning it on!)

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2012, 05:14:43 PM

I highly recommend using a static address by default. The newbie doesn't need to know all the privacy advantages and associated nuances...at worst, bitcoin risks being misunderstood as something intrinsically nefarious.

I would go so far as to say that the option to use a new address for each transaction should be made slightly difficult to get to (ie, anything not directly visible on the same screen as the balance /send money stuff...even further down on the page or hidden behind a folding menu on the same screen would be fine...those that can't find the option shouldn't be turning it on!)

Well, now the static address is default, thanks everyone for feedback. I will fine-tune the UI and settings later. Thanks for the feedback.

kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 02:35:52 PM

New feature added, coupons: https://easywallet.org/coupons

To create coupon, just send bitcoins to address "coupon" (without quotes). Coupons can be denominated in any currency, and the amount will be converted to bitcoins when the coupon is redeemed.

This is perfect for vending machines! In fact, coupons were inspired by this vending machine project: http://blog.maschinenraum.tk/2012/07/15/bitcoin-vending-machine-exchange-euro-coins-for-bitcoin-wallets/

You can generate lots of coupons programmatically with the generate_coupons.py -tool: https://github.com/kangasbros/Easywallet.org-tools

Our designer is working with a nice artwork for the coupons.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 02:24:46 PM

New feature added, coupons: https://easywallet.org/coupons

To create coupon, just send bitcoins to address "coupon" (without quotes). Coupons can be denominated in any currency, and the amount will be converted to bitcoins when the coupon is redeemed.

This is perfect for vending machines! In fact, coupons were inspired by this vending machine project: http://blog.maschinenraum.tk/2012/07/15/bitcoin-vending-machine-exchange-euro-coins-for-bitcoin-wallets/

You can generate lots of coupons programmatically with the generate_coupons.py -tool: https://github.com/kangasbros/Easywallet.org-tools

Our designer is working with a nice artwork for the coupons.

I tried this.  Some feedback:

The end result is a URL which, like an Easywallet.org URL, acts as a bearer instrument.

Several exchanges offer "redeemable codes" but they all use a consistent format.  Though there's no formal specification, the others have followed the format:
 XXXXX-XXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
e.g.,
 MTGOX-BTC-1B2CD-E3FG4-5H6JK-LMNO7

I see your coupon is a string but if you were to also accept a format consistent with the other issuers, that would make it compatible in the future should a merchant or other partner accept your coupons as a payment method. 

e.g., something like

EASYW-BTC-[and whatever code you already provide, seperated by a hyphen every five characters].

When I first tried to create a coupon, I got the error:

"You don't have enough funds to create this coupon."

I had tried to create a 0.005 BTC coupon, from the 0.005 balance received in my new account which was funded from the 0.005 from the Bitcoin Faucet,

Thinking this was related to a fee, I then tried to crate a 0.0045 coupon, and it created fine.

I then did something, and now the wallet returns a 500.  Since it only has the 0.005 from the faucet, I'll share the EasyWallet URL here:
 - https://easywallet.org/w/74mymMsiUB17RV72Xtde3M

I then tried to redeem the coupon in another browser and got something to the effect of invalid code or not enough funds, I forget.

So, this appear to not quite be ready for general use? 

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 02:50:29 PM

I tried this.  Some feedback:

The end result is a URL which, like an Easywallet.org URL, acts as a bearer instrument.

Several exchanges offer "redeemable codes" but they all use a consistent format.  Though there's no formal specification, the others have followed the format:
 XXXXX-XXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
e.g.,
 MTGOX-BTC-1B2CD-E3FG4-5H6JK-LMNO7

I see your coupon is a string but if you were to also accept a format consistent with the other issuers, that would make it compatible in the future should a merchant or other partner accept your coupons as a payment method.  

e.g., something like

EASYW-BTC-[and whatever code you already provide, seperated by a hyphen every five characters].

When I first tried to create a coupon, I got the error:

"You don't have enough funds to create this coupon."

I had tried to create a 0.005 BTC coupon, from the 0.005 balance received in my new account which was funded from the 0.005 from the Bitcoin Faucet,

Thinking this was related to a fee, I then tried to crate a 0.0045 coupon, and it created fine.

I then did something, and now the wallet returns a 500.  Since it only has the 0.005 from the faucet, I'll share the EasyWallet URL here:
 - https://easywallet.org/w/74mymMsiUB17RV72Xtde3M

I then tried to redeem the coupon in another browser and got something to the effect of invalid code or not enough funds, I forget.

So, this appear to not quite be ready for general use?  

Investigating...

Edit: should be fixed now. Was just a minor problem with currency conversion (I hadn't tested with bitcoin-nominated coupons on production).

The fundamental difference to codes provided by exchanges is, that we are not the issuers. The issuer is the invidual who sells the coupons. If the coupon is not redeemed, no money is withdrawn from the issuer wallet.

Currently we check that issuer should have enough funds for creating coupons, but it is fully possible that the issuer can spend some funds from his wallet, and the coupon can't be redeemed. So the funds are taken from the issuer wallet at the time of redeeming.

This means, that the guy who buys the bitcoin coupon, has to trust the invidual who sells the coupon.

Edit2: and by the way, thanks for the testing, send me your btc address

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 03:36:58 PM

The fundamental difference to codes provided by exchanges is, that we are not the issuers. The issuer is the invidual who sells the coupons. If the coupon is not redeemed, no money is withdrawn from the issuer wallet.

While internally to EasyWallet this is handled different from how other issuers handle coupons/vouchers/redeemable codes, externally it is identical.  

The funds are transferred from one EasyWallet account to another.  The individual does not hold the funds, Easywallet.org does.  That is identical to how every other Bitcoin-related code issuer operates.

Currently we check that issuer should have enough funds for creating coupons, but it is fully possible that the issuer can spend some funds from his wallet, and the coupon can't be redeemed. So the funds are taken from the issuer wallet at the time of redeeming.

This means, that the guy who buys the bitcoin coupon, has to trust the invidual who sells the coupon.

These are bearer instruments, where the first to redeem the code gets the funds.  This is no different from Mt. Gox redeemable codes, Bitstamp coupons, VouchX vouchers, etc.,

Thanks for fixing the error on the wallet.  I was able to generate a new coupon, and redeem it in another Easywallet.

I still am confused on the reason I got the error when trying to send the full amount as shown in my balance.  It almost looks like it is the result of a rounding issue ... where I had exactly 0.005, the site shows 0.005000  but I could only spend 0.004999 perhaps?   You aren't storing amounts as floats by chance, are you?

[Edit: An one more question, when I create a coupon for USD, or any other of the non-BTC currency options, what conversion rate is used, and when?]

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 04:04:15 PM

I still am confused on the reason I got the error when trying to send the full amount as shown in my balance.  It almost looks like it is the result of a rounding issue ... where I had exactly 0.005, the site shows 0.005000  but I could only spend 0.004999 perhaps?   You aren't storing amounts as floats by chance, are you?

No, I am not using floats.

The problem was that I had function currency2btc(amount, currency), which threw error if the incoming currency was btc. I had forgot to update this fix to the production server, and had not tested the production code with btc nominated coupons. You happened to create btc

[Edit: An one more question, when I create a coupon for USD, or any other of the non-BTC currency options, what conversion rate is used, and when?]

At the time of redeeming, 24h weighted averages from bitcoincharts.com (the same exchange rates are used everywhere on easywallet).

These are bearer instruments, where the first to redeem the code gets the funds.  This is no different from Mt. Gox redeemable codes, Bitstamp coupons, VouchX vouchers, etc.,

The first to redeem the code doesn't necessarily get the funds, if the issuer doesn't have enough funds in his wallet.

You can create lots of easywallet.org coupons, withdraw your funds from easywallet, and then the coupons are worthless and can't be redeemed.

On other exchanges, the funds are taken from your account when you create the coupon. In easywallet.org the funds are taken at the time of redeem.

This is because I want to be able to nominate coupons in any currencies, while actually only handling bitcoins. Easywallet.org does not handle any other currencies than bitcoins, it is impossible for us to create "hard coupons" nominated in EUR/USD/etc.

(I need a way to make explaining this simpler...)

OneSixtiethOfASecond

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 10:07:37 PM

Yes, it remembers the old addresses. Funds sent to any of your addresses will appear on your easywallet.org balance. I will try to think of a way to display the old addresses user-friendly in the UI.

How about remembering addresses that you have sent to?  That would be useful for recurring payments, without having to rescan a bar code each time. 
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 06:15:51 AM

How about remembering addresses that you have sent to?  That would be useful for recurring payments, without having to rescan a bar code each time. 

I will implement this feature at some point, thanks for the suggestion.

fellowtraveler

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 10:30:04 AM
Last edit: July 25, 2012, 01:08:33 PM by fellowtraveler

Make sure your "salted hashed" passwords or IDs are produced using a key derivation algorithm, and not a conventional hashing algorithm.

Conventional hashing is designed to run quickly, but key derivation is designed to run slowly.

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: