Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:16:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Easywallet.org - web based wallet, iPhone/Android clients with QR Codes  (Read 8882 times)
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 01:04:47 PM

I don't know if you are trolling, but honestly would you implement a bitcoin ATM with printed out instawallet wallets?
With printed out qr codes that would be doable and would let people redeem the funds with a simple browser (scan code, get directed to wallet URL, no typing involved).

There is at first the exchange rate risk,
I think there I'm misunderstanding something here, why would there be an exchange risk ? Does your ATM give out fiat ? Or Bitcoins ?

and secondly, the redeem function takes the need to trust the seller away - after the coupon is redeemed, the seller can't access the funds.
It works the exact same if what you give is a funded wallet. You need to trust the person that gives the code or wallet to you until you spend it.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kangasbros (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 01:40:59 PM

I think there I'm misunderstanding something here, why would there be an exchange risk ? Does your ATM give out fiat ? Or Bitcoins ?

Bitcoins. With this method, any old ATM machine such as condom vending machine can be used to sell bitcoins. No extra technology needed.

It works the exact same if what you give is a funded wallet. You need to trust the person that gives the code or wallet to you until you spend it.

Well, there is one small advantage, and that is basically just ease of use. With instawallet you could do the same, but from end-user viewpoint I doubt that the experience would be the same.

I have been demonstrating this ATM + coupon stuff at couple of events, and I would say the process is pretty fluid and newbies understand it pretty quickly.

davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372

1davout

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 01:48:56 PM

Bitcoins. With this method, any old ATM machine such as condom vending machine can be used to sell bitcoins. No extra technology needed.
I still don't get what you were meaning by the reference to some exchange rate, but whatever, the idea is quite interesting.

Well, there is one small advantage, and that is basically just ease of use. With instawallet you could do the same, but from end-user viewpoint I doubt that the experience would be the same.

I have been demonstrating this ATM + coupon stuff at couple of events, and I would say the process is pretty fluid and newbies understand it pretty quickly.
In your case do you need to type the coupon manually ? Can you scan it  somehow ?
Do you get taken to a URL that already has the coupon as parameter ?

kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 07:38:06 PM

In your case do you need to type the coupon manually ? Can you scan it  somehow ?
Do you get taken to a URL that already has the coupon as parameter ?

You can type it manually, but most do scan it directly to their smartphones (iPhone/Android).

kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 11:31:26 AM

Now you can sweep the transactions from any private key to your easywallet.org wallet, easily with QR code scanning. This is very fast especially with the one-tap feature.

Mini private key format not yet supported, should be coming soon.

http://localbitcoins.blogspot.fi/2012/11/easywalletorg-supports-now-private-key.html

Trader Steve

Activity: 836

"How do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time..."

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 04:08:46 PM

Why the high fees for holding over 12 btc? Are you just trying to limit the amount of bitcoin that people keep on their EasyWallet ? If so, 12% annually is a very effective deterrent.
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 07:19:31 PM

Why the high fees for holding over 12 btc? Are you just trying to limit the amount of bitcoin that people keep on their EasyWallet ? If so, 12% annually is a very effective deterrent.

Yeah, for the moment being. Less holders -> less work for me. I currently want to focus more on localbitcoins.com

In the future however, the fees will be lower and/or there will be alternative where you can just pay fixed monthly fee - no other fees. Will take some time to develop, however.

Wrote a blog post about paper wallets: http://localbitcoins.blogspot.fi/2012/11/start-your-own-money-press.html

Trader Steve

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 08:06:18 PM

That sounds good. EasyWallet.org has great functionality and a great GUI. I believe your currency pricing uses a weighted average? This has thrown off a few of my transactions because it's not taking the latest price. I, personally, would prefer a real time price when the wallet shows exchange rates. Just a suggestion.

Thanks.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 10:23:46 PM
Last edit: November 21, 2012, 05:53:15 AM by Stephen Gornick

Now you can sweep the transactions from any private key to your easywallet.org wallet, easily with QR code scanning. This is very fast especially with the one-tap feature.

Wow!  That is pretty much exactly what I was looking for!  It was literally eight seconds from accessing EasyWallet.org until the funds on my paper wallet were redeemed.

The transaction will incur a transaction fee of 0.001, and it appears the service requires a minimum of unspent inputs for the address to total at least 0.01 BTC.  Those are all reasonable restrictions.

There's one specific detail though that I'm unsure about.  It appears that only unspent inputs that have confirmations are considered?

i.e., if a merchant gives me a paper bitcoin (e.g., as change for a purchase I made where I paid using a paper bitcoin with a fixed amount of bitcoins on it), and the transaction from the merchant to fund that paper bitcoin hasn't yet confirmed, I then need to wait until it confirms before I can redeem it with EasyWallet.

If that is how it works, then that kind of renders it unusable [edit: less than perfect] for one of the use cases I had in mind for this.   Since EasyWallet won't give me access to the funds until they confirm anyway, what is the harm in redeeming the private key even if the unspent inputs have no confirmations yet?

When I get a paper bitcoin from someone else, I want to have the spend transaction broadcast immediately so that there is no temptation for the merchant to double spend on me (by redeeming another copy of it) after I walk out the door.

Could this decision on requiring confirmations be reconsidered?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 05:18:31 AM

i.e., if a merchant gives me a paper bitcoin (e.g., as change for a purchase I made where I paid using a paper bitcoin with a fixed amount of bitcoins on it), and the transaction from the merchant hasn't yet confirmed, I then need to wait until it confirms before I can redeem it with EasyWallet.

If that is how it works, then that kind of renders it unusable [edit: less than perfect] for one of the use cases I had in mind for this.   Since EasyWallet won't give me access to the funds until they confirm anyway, what is the harm in redeeming the private key even if the unspent inputs have no confirmations yet?

When I get a paper bitcoin from someone else, I want to get the spend transaction broadcast immediately so that there is no temptation for the merchant to double spend on me (by redeeming another copy of it) after I walk out the door.

Could this decision on requiring confirmations be reconsidered?

Yeah, why not. The reason for the current mechanism is technical. I have yet to find a way to update the transaction database real-time.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 12:07:27 PM

It works on iPhone and Android,
- http://localbitcoins.blogspot.fi/2012/11/start-your-own-money-press.html

While trying to demonstrate this one-tap feature on EasyWallet.org to an iPhone user an error was displayed that the URL could not be loaded (or something to that effect.)   

Does a specific barcode app need to be installed for that to succeed?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 07:11:02 PM

While trying to demonstrate this one-tap feature on EasyWallet.org to an iPhone user an error was displayed that the URL could not be loaded (or something to that effect.)   

no it also works with other scanner apps. probably apple has deactivated the url  Tongue

btw: I think the amount field and generate qr button are very difficult to understand for newbies. Might be better to hide them or remove completely.
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 01:18:56 PM

I am pretty sure it works only with that specific barcodes scanner app. However lately it has been buggy. I'm researching the case.

kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 01:22:26 PM

no it also works with other scanner apps. probably apple has deactivated the url  Tongue

btw: I think the amount field and generate qr button are very difficult to understand for newbies. Might be better to hide them or remove completely.

If you have succeeed using the app with any other QR code reader, I would be glad to know.

I think I will replace the amount and generate qr button with "request money" button. Thanks for the feedback.

phelix
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 01:36:33 PM

If you have succeeed using the app with any other QR code reader, I would be glad to know.

I think I will replace the amount and generate qr button with "request money" button. Thanks for the feedback.

actually it worked on the iphone with some random qr code scanner but on Android not without zxing.   Zxing is the best scanner on android imho (and open source) but it would still be nice to have it working with others.   
phelix
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 08:36:30 AM

I used easywallet at the end of a bitcoin presentation saying something like: "If you would like to give see for yourself right now just scan the QR code."

This is the code I displayed, feel free to do whatever you like with it.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 12:13:48 PM

- Fees are 0.002BTC per outgoing transaction, which includes bitcoin network fee. Transactions between easywallet instances are free and instant.

Time for a fee reduction, no?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Trader Steve

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 03:52:04 PM

- Fees are 0.002BTC per outgoing transaction, which includes bitcoin network fee. Transactions between easywallet instances are free and instant.

+1
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 08:03:51 PM

This comes as a quite late reply, but the fee model changed to 0,9% per outgoing transaction in late 2013. I still try to keep the service up, and develop it when I have free time (quite rarely).

I have been trying to improve the privacy model of the wallet, and have couple of other minor ideas in mind.

Trader Steve

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 12:10:33 AM

Great to hear you are keeping this alive. The fact that it is still around is a testimony to your integrity and business acumen. Kudos!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: