Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:09:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is now the time to buy?  (Read 3515 times)
TheBitMan (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 11:05:41 PM

Do you think Bitcoin will go back up to 20+?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2012, 11:08:23 PM

Yes maybe or nearly within the next eighteen months either that or there stay below $6 until the new year  Huh

Edit: I can see $7 maybe $9 definitely by January  Undecided

TheBitMan (OP)

Activity: 280

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 11:09:05 PM

Yes maybe or nearly within the next eighteen months either that or there stay below $6 until the new year  Huh
I guess if anyone really knew they'd be rich..
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 11:11:35 PM

Of course I don't know, But it stands to reason that if supply remains constant and the block reward is halved the price should approximately double.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2012, 11:13:42 PM

Yes maybe or nearly within the next eighteen months either that or there stay below $6 until the new year  Huh
I guess if anyone really knew they'd be rich..

Yes bitcoin is still too new and uncertain for major investment but if it can stay above $4 for the next 24 months I can see more people investing in it although if BTC doesn't reach $9 by January you can see a lot of miners packing up and the chance of bitcoin becoming more centralised very likely  Cry

EPiSKiNG
Legendary

Activity: 800
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 12:13:11 AM

Of course I don't know, But it stands to reason that if supply remains constant and the block reward is halved the price should approximately double.

I'd like to think this is the case, and I'm quite certain that people who understand how mining works would view it as such, but I think the value may depend on how quickly people are looking for large quantities that will affect the value in relation to the rate at which the coins are produced.

YOU CAN TRUST ME! EPiSKiNG-'s COINS!! BUYING / SELLING BTC - USA --- View my OTC Trading Feedback!!
<gribble> You are identified as user EPiSKiNG-, with GPG key id 721730127CD7574D, key fingerprint EBFC267F8F10EFD1FB84854D721730127CD7574D, and bitcoin address 1EPiSKiNG139bzcwTm8rxMFNfFFdanLW5K
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 06:22:03 AM

Wait till Sunday night to buy.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2012, 06:54:35 AM

If people are set on buying X dollars worth of coins every day regardless of dollar price then a double makes sense (with some other probably false assumptions). But if people want X coins it all depends on their elasticity of demand and it could be a much bigger increase. I think the first is much closer to the truth, but I think that in addition to a supply decrease we'll experience a demand increase over the next year (and the next and next and next...).

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 12:23:51 AM

I'd like to think this is the case, and I'm quite certain that people who understand how mining works would view it as such, but I think the value may depend on how quickly people are looking for large quantities that will affect the value in relation to the rate at which the coins are produced.

If people are set on buying X dollars worth of coins every day regardless of dollar price then a double makes sense (with some other probably false assumptions). But if people want X coins it all depends on their elasticity of demand and it could be a much bigger increase. I think the first is much closer to the truth, but I think that in addition to a supply decrease we'll experience a demand increase over the next year (and the next and next and next...).
Good points. I don't say these things with great confidence. We will be entering untested water when the reward halves.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Rothgar

Activity: 374

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2012, 12:31:49 AM

I did the math on this.  Assuming Market cap increases at a constant rate.  There will be a small effect from the block reward getting cut in half.  With this assumption, bitcoin price will increase at USD .08  per month instead of $.04.  I did my calculation starting from the bottom after the spike to USD 30.

Of course, today we are seeing that bitcoin is having trouble supporting the USD 5 level.  This is not inline with my assumption.  Who knows?

Visit http://neocashradio.com for the premier weekly bitcoin podcast.
Follow neocashradio on twitter.  https://twitter.com/NeocashRadio
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 12:41:31 AM

Now it is

Rothgar

Activity: 374

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2012, 12:44:52 AM

Now it is

Buy and hold that is.   Grin

Visit http://neocashradio.com for the premier weekly bitcoin podcast.
Follow neocashradio on twitter.  https://twitter.com/NeocashRadio
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 11:52:00 PM

It is always a good time to buy. It may cost you more and some points in time than others but right now it is a coin collecting race. Who ever has the most coins once ALL the coins have been mined controls the power. I speculate the value of bitcoin will rise quickly and more steadily once all the coins are mined.

My 2 cents. Thoughts?

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 01:33:15 AM

It is always a good time to buy. It may cost you more and some points in time than others but right now it is a coin collecting race. Who ever has the most coins once ALL the coins have been mined controls the power. I speculate the value of bitcoin will rise quickly and more steadily once all the coins are mined.

My 2 cents. Thoughts?

Once all the coins are mined, we'll all be dead.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 01:34:35 AM

My 2 cents. Thoughts?

Just goes to show you what I know Smiley

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 02:13:10 AM

Money is not a matter of "whoever has the most wins". If you have twice as much money as I do, that doesn't mean you control the power and I control nothing. It just means you have twice as much power as I do. Everyone has power in proportion to their wealth. The poor have less power than the rich, but they are not completely powerless. Contrast this with a typical democratic government, in which whoever has the most votes controls all the power and everyone else has nothing.

In any case, the only way to exercise the power that money provides is to spend it, after which you don't have as much money as you did, and somebody else has more. If somebody has a lot of money but they don't actually do anything with it, that money might as well not exist as far as the rest of the economy is concerned.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2012, 04:22:20 AM

Money is not a matter of "whoever has the most wins". If you have twice as much money as I do, that doesn't mean you control the power and I control nothing. It just means you have twice as much power as I do. Everyone has power in proportion to their wealth. The poor have less power than the rich, but they are not completely powerless. Contrast this with a typical democratic government, in which whoever has the most votes controls all the power and everyone else has nothing.

In any case, the only way to exercise the power that money provides is to spend it, after which you don't have as much money as you did, and somebody else has more. If somebody has a lot of money but they don't actually do anything with it, that money might as well not exist as far as the rest of the economy is concerned.

Yeah, money is the fairest sort of power there is. Unlike political power you have to part with it to use it. You hand it off to someone else in even measure to what you want them to do for you. Not near as much distinction when the ability to produce money for nothing is a political power, but it applies to good money.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 04:30:01 AM

My 2 cents. Thoughts?

Is that why bitcoin is called a killer app?
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 04:30:52 AM

My 2 cents. Thoughts?

Is that why bitcoin is called a killer app?

yes  Roll Eyes

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 12:13:01 PM

If people knew that in one week it was guaranteed that the price would double, it stands to reason that they would buy now.  Of course that would bring the price up until it was doubled, and people would stop buying.

But then we would all know that that was what would happen, so a week before that we'd buy.  Oh... except then the doubling would happen two weeks before the guaranteed double date.

So a week before that... etc, etc.

If an event is known to happen in the future, then the market will ensure that the effect on its price then is included in the price now.

There will be no doubling of price in December; that event is already priced in.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: