Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:43:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I PANICKED  (Read 10832 times)
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 06:28:22 PM

when it drops. Investing in bitcoin in 2014 is about one of the worst investment decisions anyone could make. You'd be better off investing your life savings in Solyndra.

Stop being so dumb.  Hindsight says you could have made shitload in this market during 2014.  
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 06:34:29 PM

when it drops. Investing in bitcoin in 2014 is about one of the worst investment decisions anyone could make. You'd be better off investing your life savings in Solyndra.

Stop being so dumb.  Hindsight says you could have made shitload in this market during 2014.  

This is the dumbest thing I've heard here today. You can make a shitload of money in any market if you had psychic powers and knew exactly how the market would move.

The prominent investment strategy on this forum is to HODL!!1!, and anyone who was dumb enough to take it to heart has lost 50% of their portfolio since the beginning of this year.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 06:34:51 PM

I just invested my life savings into Bitcoin

i still notice much of this kind of sentiment. i think we may see some real despair before this market turns around. the bulls are resilient, holding on tight, and yet, for 8 months we've been unable to cross increasingly lower upside resistances. the price is being held up by a lack of sellers -- but more apparent is the absence of $$ inflows. if this continues (and it looks like it will -- we just took a shot at a reversal on the 1-day chart and it's failing), a lot of people are going to be in a lot of pain in the coming months.
Not me. The lower it goes the more coins I get for my fiat.

that's true. personally i love it. i took my initial investment out very long ago. i just keep half in cold storage and trade the other half. cheap coins, baby. might even be able to catch some more margin call coins.....

but the people in pain, imo, are the weak bubble chasers who bought at 700, 800, 1000.... and either don't have the funds or the follow-through to average down. and frankly, i can understand being very afraid of averaging down in the current market. when has bitcoin ever seen a bear market this long? 2011 chart is brutal in % lost, but the 2014 chart looks like a trip to zero on the back of a snail... Smiley

You are aware the price hit 3xx several months ago and is significantly higher now? Everyone has had ample opportunity to average down..several times! Smiley

sure. and there may be much more opportunity coming in that regard. i get the impression that this comment is of the mentality that "you already got your chance for cheap coins." well, that assumes that it's up uP UP from here.

tell that to the 1-day and 1-week down trends. they are very much intact. Wink
dropt
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 06:42:40 PM

This is the dumbest thing I've heard here today. You can make a shitload of money in any market if you had psychic powers and knew exactly how the market would move.
Talking in absolutes, how grand. All I have to do now is find one market (absent of shorting) that defies your statement and then it's wrong.  Of course hindsight shows you all the points where you could have bought/sold your way into massive profits, that's the point.

about one of the worst investment decisions anyone could make
And it also could have been one of the best depending on how you played your cards.  

The prominent investment strategy on this forum is to HODL!!1!, and anyone who was dumb enough to take it to heart has lost 50% of their portfolio since the beginning of this year.

What does the prominent investment strategy of Bitcointalk have anything to do with the average person making an investment?  What, is it some sort of pre-requisite to have an account on Bitcointalk and subscribe to the echo chamber to open a wallet and/or exchange account?  No, that's stupid, just like ignoring the fact that people could have also made a killing in 2014.

But we get it. You sold your position and now Bitcoin needs to go to shit so you feel validated.

Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 06:50:16 PM

Was sensible to do that 2 years ago (which I did Wink, but now... I would not put that much. Bitcoin bubble may come in few years...
Buy when others are fearful.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
MichaelBliss

Activity: 526
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 06:54:44 PM

I wished I did too when the price was around $120  Undecided

When the price was $120, people missed out by wishing they got in at $12, and so on.
g29wheel

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 07:22:42 PM

If you have invested all your life savings in bitcoin you should know that your investment could have a great return but it can also vanish tomorrow.
bit tired

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 07:26:55 PM

If you have invested all your life savings in bitcoin you should know that your investment could have a great return but it can also vanish tomorrow.

I regret not investing my life savings of $10 about five years ago. Everyone hopes they will get the same kind of return in another five years, but I think it's far less likely now.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 5069

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 10:09:12 PM

Whoever is putting his life savings into BTC is a fool.  Doesn't matter what will happen (I still think BTC long term is a very good investment, but regardless).

Never invest what you can't afford to lose.
Eh, my life savings amounts to diddly.  But I'm glad I put that diddly into Bitcoin in 2011... I may retire yet!
It went well, but it could have ended horribly bad.

If you invested something in 2011 you had all the time to accumulate without risking your "life savings".

I stand by what I said. BTC is still in early stages, investing more that you can afford to lose is not a wise choice, that's all I'm saying, regardless of what we can say in retrospect.

i wonder which market out there is "safe" so that i can invest more then i can afford to lose so i can win with no risk.

TRUTH!
falllling

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 04:11:00 AM

dropt is a bull scammer for sure, he is fooling people to buy in downtrend and call it "time to load on" but ignore all the way down of bitcoin has made in this year
dropt
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 05:28:49 AM
Last edit: August 29, 2014, 02:57:24 PM by dropt

dropt is a bull scammer for sure, he is fooling people to buy in downtrend and call it "time to load on" but ignore all the way down of bitcoin has made in this year

falllling is a bear scammer for sure, he is failing at fooling people to sell in uptrend and call it "dump before you loose everything" but ignore all the way up of bitcoin has made in this year.
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 05:35:53 AM

Just ignore him like the rest of us. Who is the bigger fool, the fool or the one who follows him?

bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2216
Merit: 3238

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 02:45:36 PM

I regret not investing my life savings of $10 about five years ago. Everyone hopes they will get the same kind of return in another five years, but I think it's far less likely now.

Still not able to predict the future. Keep on trying Smiley

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
bittown

Activity: 64

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 02:49:01 PM

Bitcoins aren't mainstream yet so there's much more room for the price to grow, just sit down and wait for the fireworks.
Ringumbau

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 02:54:34 PM

^^This

OP is still legit insane tho.
bit tired

Activity: 76

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 03:33:03 PM

^^This

OP is still legit insane tho.

You think the OP is right to invest his life savings in bitcoin, but insane for doing it?  Huh
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 03:37:43 PM

So you "invested" your life savings in something that is not an investment?  Sad
Panic is an appropriate response then. Very, very, risky move in my opinion.   

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 04:03:30 PM

So you "invested" your life savings in something that is not an investment?  Sad
I see you saying that a lot. You are still wrong about it. Miners invest in mining equipment. Everyone who doesn't mine buy coins from miners, that is, we invest in the miners themselves. Net result is that everyone who holds any amount of bitcoin, however big or small, has invested in the network itself. Now you might not think of it as an investment or treat it as such and that's fine, but it is.

piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 06:23:31 PM

I wished I did too when the price was around $120  Undecided

When the price was $120, people missed out by wishing they got in at $12, and so on.

Exactly. Mostly nobody here understands that simple fact. Even though I understand this, I have to physically force myself to buy now ignoring psychological fear, remembering how I skipped much buying at $100 levels thinking I will buy lower. Never did.

i am satoshi
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 09:49:51 PM

So you "invested" your life savings in something that is not an investment?  Sad
I see you saying that a lot. You are still wrong about it. Miners invest in mining equipment. Everyone who doesn't mine buy coins from miners, that is, we invest in the miners themselves. Net result is that everyone who holds any amount of bitcoin, however big or small, has invested in the network itself. Now you might not think of it as an investment or treat it as such and that's fine, but it is.

I understand your point, and I do agree that you are invested in bitcoin and the network just by owning some. What makes it risky is the perception that bitcoin is specifically some sort of investment. It was not conceived of as such and it's strengths are not in the area of a speculative vehicle. Bitcoin will gain in value if it catches on as a payment system, but it may not catch on. That makes it useful to buy some and spend it on online purchases, but risky to hold unless you are going to be attentive. I am also concerned about user Ibian because he claims he put his "life savings" into it. That is a terrible investment strategy. Putting all your money into even a safe investment is a bad idea. He should diversify and mitigate some of his risk. Otherwise his future depends entirely one the outcome of bitcoin. And that is entirely unclear.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: