Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:29:07 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Litecoin can't reach Bitcoin price?  (Read 2508 times)
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 06:12:59 PM

While this may be true I dont think its worth much. The original quote says these features do not bring anyone new in and only the people already in the community care and/or buyin to these coins and I tend to agree.
The more supportive of Bitcoin/Litecoin someone is, the more supportive of that statement they tend to be. It doesn't change the fact it is an opinion. I have a different opinion, and I know I am not alone.. I am just more vocal than most people.

Even someone like me who is an active member of the community did not know the details of some of those coins you listed above. If I dont know about them, how is the general public going to know and be able to pick the best for their needs? (Dont take that as 'I know everything about crypto' because I defiantly do not!)

Exactly, this was my main point at the end. The features may not be bringing in a ton of people right now, but I am sure they are bringing in some people. Once these services and their benefits are more widely known, advertised, and improved upon, I am speculating that they will bring in a lot of people to crypto currencies that otherwise wouldn't have partaken. The crypto currencies that have these features will be the ones that benefit most from this. The ones with the most popular features will win out over those with more "gimmicky" features. On top of that there will be another level of the crypto currencies with the most well implemented of those most popular features will win out over those with the most poorly implemented of the popular features.

You guys are entitled to your opinion and this is mine. I get annoyed that most people don't acknowledge that what they say is speculation and opinion when talking about this stuff... the Satoshi Nakamoto Institute guys are the worst example of this with their articles about alt coins and appcoins which are one side of the debate passed off as fact. No one is doing a good job at debating for the other side when it comes to the issue of adding features on top of a crypto currency and being innovative... I am pretty much only one of the few sticking up for this side. That is because I believe my opinion is correct, probably just as much as you guys believe your own opinions are correct. I think most people are probably just tired of debating this issue with Bitcoin/Litecoin supporters, because it is a never ending debate.

Point is there are too many options for a general person to pick from. Chevy, Dodge, Ford - Pepsi, Coke - Dell, HP, Gateway (are they even around anymore) - people like options but they are not going to read the specs of 400 coins to pick exactly whats best for them, they will pick one of the top 5 and deal with it even if there is a 'better' option available.

This line of thinking assumes that the top 5 coins will always be the same- I very much disagree. Bitcoin and Litecoin are not "too big to fail"- no entity is and no entity ever will be. Once consumers are more educated about which options are available, they will pick the better option IMO. This just has to do with marketing, liquidity, infrastructure, the network effect, and consumer awareness as to why they aren't already picking the better options. These dynamics are just that- dynamic. They can and will change in the future. Sure, it is confined to a niche group at this point in time, but it will not always be that way as cryptos expand their user base and more people are educated on what else is out there. Admittedly it is hard to tell what alternative coin will rise above the pack, but over time it will become more clear and I am 99% certain that crypto currency will not be Litecoin.
coinsolidation

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 06:22:09 PM

The original quote says these features do not bring anyone new in and only the people already in the community care and/or buyin to these coins and I tend to agree.
The more supportive of Bitcoin/Litecoin someone is, the more supportive of that statement they tend to be. It doesn't change the fact it is an opinion. I have a different opinion, and I know I am not alone.. I am just more vocal than most people.

Two different opinions, innovation drives adoption vs adoption driving innovation. Both can be true at the same time, and both are beneficial Smiley

they will pick the better option

Each person considers different things as 'better', ease of use and simplicity are often the biggest drivers, google with one box and one button, and apple within minimal ui are fair examples.

Nice to see an interesting discussion.

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 06:22:44 PM

Perhaps people need to ask themselves why Litecoin rose in price in the first place.

In the bitcoin mining GPU days everyone was happily mining Bitcoin, Litecoin had but a few adopters. Then along came the Bitcoin asics. Suddenly GPUs were redundant, miners simply found another coin to point their GPU power at, which happened to be Litecoin.
I for one did the same. But I wasn't interested in Litecoin. The whole point was to continue the fun of GPU mining and dump the coins for Bitcoin which is what I wanted. I suspect many other miners were doing the same.

Now of course there are countless other coins to point GPUs at, so Litecoin isn't really needed all that much anymore, at least for me anyway, can't say about others.

coinsolidation

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 06:26:26 PM

Now of course there are countless other coins to point GPUs at, so Litecoin isn't really needed all that much anymore.

But now there are ASIC miners which need homes, Litecoin is one current home for many of them.

The fact is that Litecoin's price-tag MUST rise as production increases, otherwise production has to slow which means a percentage of current and new scrypt mining has to migrate to different currencies, increasing their production cost and price-tag instead.

The only way for both production cost and price tag to continue rising is by increase in adoption, which takes lots of hard work and effort.

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 06:31:07 PM

Now of course there are countless other coins to point GPUs at, so Litecoin isn't really needed all that much anymore.

But now there are ASIC miners which need homes, Litecoin is one current home for many of them.

The fact is that Litecoin's price-tag MUST rise as production increases, otherwise production has to slow which means a percentage of current and new scrypt mining has to migrate to different currencies, increasing their production cost and price-tag instead.

The only way for both production cost and price tag to continue rising is by increase in adoption, which takes lots of hard work and effort.

There was less choice in those days. That's why all the GPU power was concentrated at Litecoin. It was a totally different crypto world back then.

Coinhunter32

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 07:17:36 PM

Why
Because hitler didn't/couldn't conquer the world despite of his power and willingness,instead he committed suicide,
CoinHumper

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 07:28:42 PM

It's not that it can't, it's that it hasn't. Seriously it's all about what people value it at.
Gumbork

Activity: 583
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 07:17:26 AM

Why

Bitcoin the first crypto and litecoin is like the 5th?

▄
            ▄███▄
          ▄███████▄
   ▄▄▄    █
█████████
   ███
    ███████████▄
██    ████    ████████▄
      ████    ██████████
  ████    ████▀██████████
  ████    ██▀   ▀█████████▄
      █████       █████████▄
      ███▀         ▀████████
  ██████▀           ▀███████
  █████▀             ▀█████
   ████ █▄▄▄     ▄▄▄█ ████
    ███ ▀███████████▀ ███
     ▀▀█▄ █████████ ▄█▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄▀▀
●●
●●
●●
●●
●●
●●
|●  facebook
●  reddit
●  ann thread
|
█ ██
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██

██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
██ █
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 08:11:06 AM

I dont think it can because it is bitcoin that has a slight mining variation + bitcoin has less coins.  Its pretty simple really it would take a whole new coin with huge improvements to out compete bitcoin.
razen489

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 08:41:26 AM

As much as i like to see that day come, BTC and LTC are competing currencies that offer almost the same feature
LTC needs to hit critical mass/adoption like BTC for that to happen... but how?
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: