Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:51:36 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The price is being manipulated so hardcore right now...  (Read 3362 times)
illyiller

Activity: 697
Merit: 520

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 04:42:55 AM

Patience is the most important virtue in this game. And the ones chasing after bubbles are the first to lose.

They are?

So I shouldn't have bought those coins @ $120 during the $266 bubble?

That's easy for you to say as someone who is in profit. Wink

"Chasing" in trading or investing means lagging behind the market and buying once the hype already happened. It's easy to preach HODL when you're golden. However, for those who began buying in 2014, bitcoin has performed horribly. And it was after the November 2013 bubble that 2014 was supposed to be the "year of bitcoin." Such hype, wow. Just keep in mind that this has been the longest bear market in bitcoin history. Surely it's even possible that bitcoin could return to the $100s or double digits, too, is it not? After all, bulls have been calling the bottom for many months now. In that case, it would have been prudent to take some profit off the table from those $120 coins. Wink

I was "chasing", per your definition, for the majority of last year at my $120-$200 buys during the $266 bubble.

But I saw the forest, not just the trees.

I watched the price drop back to $60 during the Silk Road bust.

I continued to see the forest, not just the trees.

I bought some more at $450-$585.

..and guess what? I still see that forest, not just the trees.

Okay, well, I hope it works out for you. My point, if you'll recall, was about risk management. And that is an important part of any investor's vocabulary. Ask Warren Buffet if he recommends "going down with the ship" as part of his investment plan. (Note: I'm not saying anything about the exchange rate with that comment -- only the attitude of many on this forum)

The longer term upward trajectory that bitcoin is on may continue endlessly. But this bear market -- the longest one ever -- threatens that as well. If you see the forest for the trees, then you would be open to the various possibilities. Perhaps your own bias as a HODLer clouds that.
bit tired

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 06:32:35 AM

Nothing wrong with selling at a loss and buying back lower, either. That's not even coming from the perspective of a trader necessarily. Any investor should have a stop loss. For many bitcoiners, it's just set at zero. Grin When was going down with the ship a good investment plan for other assets?

...except 90% of the time, you don't end up buying back lower.

The number you are looking for is 80 (see Pareto), and that is probably more effectively used to gauge a zero sum situation. However, refer to the 2014 chart and you'll find that if you cut your losses at $500 or above, you've had many chances to rebuy lower.

The question is, did you? The fact that most traders are losers, or that many investors make bad decisions, is more a matter of risk management than anything else. That doesn't mean that being the exception to that rule means you will lose.

Patience is the most important virtue in this game. And the ones chasing after bubbles are the first to lose.

How does the Pareto thing work? I have heard it applied to other things besides bitcoin but never really understood it.
joehal

Activity: 93

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 07:16:19 AM

But this bear market -- the longest one ever -- threatens that as well.

It's not the longest. In 2011 there was a much longer period.
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 07:44:28 AM

...and why?

Because larger investors want to fuck with you. They want to fuck with you and scare your weak ass into selling to them at a loss.

If you think Bitcoin is going to disappear, you deserve to lose money. Sell them your coins at a loss, you weak eunuchs.

The divide between rich and poor, at it's core, exists because of one fundamental fact: Manipulation.

Learn this fact and you're already halfway there.

Or don't...and keep making posts about how you're "DONE WITH BITCOIN THIS TIME GUYS!"

So you try to manipulate people for to not selling while decrying the market being manipulated?

I would say 'good work' - but you should learn that people who could be manipulated in this silly way are irrelevant.
Radelderth

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 07:46:03 AM

Bitcoin marketcap is too large to really manipulated...

botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 09:09:38 AM

But this bear market -- the longest one ever -- threatens that as well.

It's not the longest. In 2011 there was a much longer period.

The 2011 bear market was followed by a massive surge in 2013. Hope history repeats itself.  Smiley
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 09:14:16 AM

Whats interesting is that whales can only manipulate the price down so far, the fact remain bitcoin has growth in all areas which cannot be manipulated unless you include government regs which must be a stretch for a bitcoin whale to influence.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 10:36:39 AM

Bitcoin marketcap is too large to really manipulated...

Marketcap is a fun figure but ultimately meaningless.

You could throw the market around for the price of a few Wall St bar tabs.
abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 10:39:07 AM

Price is always being manipulated with bid walls and automated bots.

Only difference is people complain about it when the price doesn't continue upwards toward 1,000.
falllling

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 10:55:27 AM

Price is always being manipulated with bid walls and automated bots.

Only difference is people complain about it when the price doesn't continue upwards toward 1,000.

mission impossible, $3xx is good to go for a while
richardramirez9

Activity: 84

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 11:27:25 AM

We'll be way past ATH in 2015, thats all that matters.
efreeti

Activity: 350
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 11:33:59 AM

...and why?

Because larger investors want to fuck with you. They want to fuck with you and scare your weak ass into selling to them at a loss.

If you think Bitcoin is going to disappear, you deserve to lose money. Sell them your coins at a loss, you weak eunuchs.

The divide between rich and poor, at it's core, exists because of one fundamental fact: Manipulation.

Learn this fact and you're already halfway there.

Or don't...and keep making posts about how you're "DONE WITH BITCOIN THIS TIME GUYS!"

Bitcoin is a peer to peer currency.

There is no such thing as manipulation as anyone can buy and sell at whatever price he wishes.
Dump3er

Activity: 1414
Merit: 560

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 12:12:03 PM

I heard:

MANIPULATION?!?!!?

SOMETIMES YOU WIN, SOMETIMES YOU LEARN!
Jamie_Boulder

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 02:58:10 PM

Actually I think the price atm is the real value, $600+ was the manipulated price and I guess they decided to cash in..

penii plural 4 penis (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 03:45:44 PM
Last edit: August 29, 2014, 04:05:01 PM by penii plural 4 penis

So you try to manipulate people for to not selling while decrying the market being manipulated?

I would say 'good work' - but you should learn that people who could be manipulated in this silly way are irrelevant.

I'm not trying to manipulate anyone. I am stating an honest opinion.

The key word there being "honest".

Could I be wrong? Absolutely. But my money is where my mouth is. I actually believe what I am saying. Not just trying to profit off others fear/indecision. You will never catch me screaming, "BITCOIN IS GOING TO $0" just so I can spread fear to lower the price and rebuy coins that I wish I hadn't sold.

I don't just spout, "mission impossible, $3xx is good to go for a while." bullshit like a lot of people. My arguments make sense.

I come to this forum because I enjoy to write. (Among other forums non-Bitcoin related) People can read my posts and agree or disagree. My intent is to mislead no one.

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 03:54:33 PM

There is no such thing as manipulation as anyone can buy and sell at whatever price he wishes.

I want to live in your utopian dream.
ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:36:58 PM

Well, I'm really not sure if there's so much manipulation going on. Some of course, but I guess most people are just daytrading their way through the days. Those walls (at least one) today on Stamp were manipulation or at least attempts to play with people's confidence.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 09:25:37 PM

daytrading their way through the days.

You mean picking Red or Black on a roulette board and then claiming what a good trader they are when they make a few hundred bucks?

...until they lose it and then post on here trying to sway the market to correct their amateur mistake.

maker88

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 10:17:16 PM

Actually I think the price atm is the real value, $600+ was the manipulated price and I guess they decided to cash in..

the term is cash out, but either way thats a stretch to think 500 is a more natural price than 600, when 500 only came about because of a whale making huge market sell orders specifically to scare everyone into getting out.
efreeti

Activity: 350
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 11:00:46 PM

I want to live in your utopian dream.

How is large investor or whale selling considered manipulation by your reason?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: