Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:08:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reality check on alts  (Read 3791 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
squall1066 (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 02:27:41 PM

Hiya guys, I don't post alot here on alt's, I am involved and have been since LTC, I am more of an observer than a FUD spreader.

This is going to sound like a rant, But please read through everything, I really would like to hear another perspective!

People who reply with short comments like "your so wrong" without coming up with a respectable comment of opposition are not worth talking to IMO.

I started on LTC so I will start there, I only had a GPU or two on LTC when it came out, I mined a few coins, I cashed out a bit to help me offset the setup and power costs, It was failry easy to RIO back then, As more and more people jumped on this coin, My earnings went down.

Then we had the launch of a few more alt's, I jumped on those early, Mined a ton, Price raised, People jumped on, I sold out, ROI sunk like a stone.

You get the picture, I know we wont see the likes of them days again, But here is my point, All the time while this was going on, I was not mainly involved in BTC, Sure I was still mining, But half of my gear was in Alts. If I was to put in 100% to BTC I would be rich now.

I am not "dissi'n" Alts, I believe they have a place, I do still get involved in two coins, I will not name them here as I will not plug anyone.

People! Head my warning, 90% of new coins are Devs who want to get rich at launch!, It's a new wave of scamming.

Thats quite a powerful accusation yes? IMO no, And alot of people I know think the same, Any coin that needs a large IPO is not worth investing, A alt coin becomes popular and powerful if it is used, nothing else, Please stop sending Dev's money to start, The whole idea of a digital commodity is to spread the wealth, Do you think giving money to one person will make you rich!!

Personally we should just have a few alt's with different capabilities for different situations, There are now tones of crap coins, Every new coin takes a slice out of the pie as it draws more suckers in.

A few more points, Even though I mine LTC, I feel it's life has expired, Only the wave of new ASIC equipment has kept this coin alive, My reason? Look at the YTD LTC-USD It has constantly fallen in price all year! I believe in trends, If you can get in and out quick and make a few $$£ do it, Otherwise leave this one alone, Also, A fool compares any alts to BTC and says it's worth it, Anyone who compares one moving target and can say with certainty that it is justified alongside another moving target is just plain nuts, The ONLY justifiable argument I can see for this, If you accept that it's not worth it now, But believe in exchanging to BTC and holding for that to go up to cover the loss.

I know this is a little tl/dr But just a quick note on hardware, Well, we have come along way! I used 1KWh just to get over 1Mhs  Grin
Heres the big problem, It's still too geekish, If any developers want a good idea, I have two for free, To show we need to Take Mr government's hand out of our pocket, 1) Make a stand alone unit that does not need a host, They are coming out, But we need more work on this, As it is only the big $1000's units, What about the little guy who does not even know about CGminer? 2) we need a RELIABLE cloud source, The two big names at the moment are not transparent, They have no proof of anything, I cant invest in that, The others are all just scams, Even though PBmining for BTC is not transparent, It is still popular as there is not much competition.

Really what are your thoughts? If I feel you are posting crap to build your post count for adds, I will delete you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
From Above

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 02:30:24 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2014, 12:23:10 AM by Come-from-Above

most alts are shite obviously

~CfA~

pijpenstelen

Activity: 407
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 02:44:13 PM

Maybe I got lucky because I am Dutch and went straight for my countries coin, but I see a lot of stories where people put money into dying coins and scams and that is only can be bad for all cryptos in general. I do agree with the OP.

Should you guys ever come to the Netherlands Guldencoin is adding merchants almost daily now.

https://guldencoin.com/pay-here

▄▄███████████▄▄       
     ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄    
    ████▀             ▀████▄  
  ▄███▀    ▄▄▄████▄▄    ▀████ 
 ▐███     ██████████▀     ███▌
 ███▌    ██████▀▀        ▄███▌
▐███    ▐████▄      ▄▄▄██████▌
▐███▌  ▄████████▄▄██████████▀
 ████████▀█████████████▀▀▀    
  ████▌    ▀▀██████▀▀      ▄▄
   ▀████▄              ▄▄████▌
     ▀█████▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██████▀▀
       ▀▀██████████████▀▀     
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀           
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████   READ OUR WHITEPAPER   ██████████
CREATE YOUR DECENTRALIZED LIFE
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

▄▄███████████▄▄       
     ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄    
    ████▀             ▀████▄  
  ▄███▀    ▄▄▄████▄▄    ▀████ 
 ▐███     ██████████▀     ███▌
 ███▌    ██████▀▀        ▄███▌
▐███    ▐████▄      ▄▄▄██████▌
▐███▌  ▄████████▄▄██████████▀
 ████████▀█████████████▀▀▀    
  ████▌    ▀▀██████▀▀      ▄▄
   ▀████▄              ▄▄████▌
     ▀█████▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██████▀▀
       ▀▀██████████████▀▀     
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀           
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 02:54:52 PM
Last edit: August 29, 2014, 03:40:29 PM by digitalindustry

Hiya guys, I don't post alot here on alt's, I am involved and have been since LTC, I am more of an observer than a FUD spreader.

This is going to sound like a rant, But please read through everything, I really would like to hear another perspective!

People who reply with short comments like "your so wrong" without coming up with a respectable comment of opposition are not worth talking to IMO.

I started on LTC so I will start there, I only had a GPU or two on LTC when it came out, I mined a few coins, I cashed out a bit to help me offset the setup and power costs, It was failry easy to RIO back then, As more and more people jumped on this coin, My earnings went down.

Then we had the launch of a few more alt's, I jumped on those early, Mined a ton, Price raised, People jumped on, I sold out, ROI sunk like a stone.

You get the picture, I know we wont see the likes of them days again, But here is my point, All the time while this was going on, I was not mainly involved in BTC, Sure I was still mining, But half of my gear was in Alts. If I was to put in 100% to BTC I would be rich now.

I am not "dissi'n" Alts, I believe they have a place, I do still get involved in two coins, I will not name them here as I will not plug anyone.

People! Head my warning, 90% of new coins are Devs who want to get rich at launch!, It's a new wave of scamming.

Thats quite a powerful accusation yes? IMO no, And alot of people I know think the same, Any coin that needs a large IPO is not worth investing, A alt coin becomes popular and powerful if it is used, nothing else, Please stop sending Dev's money to start, The whole idea of a digital commodity is to spread the wealth, Do you think giving money to one person will make you rich!!

Personally we should just have a few alt's with different capabilities for different situations, There are now tones of crap coins, Every new coin takes a slice out of the pie as it draws more suckers in.

A few more points, Even though I mine LTC, I feel it's life has expired, Only the wave of new ASIC equipment has kept this coin alive, My reason? Look at the YTD LTC-USD It has constantly fallen in price all year! I believe in trends, If you can get in and out quick and make a few $$£ do it, Otherwise leave this one alone, Also, A fool compares any alts to BTC and says it's worth it, Anyone who compares one moving target and can say with certainty that it is justified alongside another moving target is just plain nuts, The ONLY justifiable argument I can see for this, If you accept that it's not worth it now, But believe in exchanging to BTC and holding for that to go up to cover the loss.

I know this is a little tl/dr But just a quick note on hardware, Well, we have come along way! I used 1KWh just to get over 1Mhs  Grin
Heres the big problem, It's still too geekish, If any developers want a good idea, I have two for free, To show we need to Take Mr government's hand out of our pocket, 1) Make a stand alone unit that does not need a host, They are coming out, But we need more work on this, As it is only the big $1000's units, What about the little guy who does not even know about CGminer? 2) we need a RELIABLE cloud source, The two big names at the moment are not transparent, They have no proof of anything, I cant invest in that, The others are all just scams, Even though PBmining for BTC is not transparent, It is still popular as there is not much competition.

Really what are your thoughts? If I feel you are posting crap to build your post count for adds, I will delete you.

my thoughts :

you make a lot of obvious points, but then end with a "cloud mining" punchline, do you realize i've explained how China is breaking the Bitcoin mining monopoly, and the only way that the original holders can try to hold that monopoly is to sucker some "greater fools" into "cloud mining", basically use their capital to fund further ASIC expansion to try to keep up wtih China and others.

I've also predicted that LTC will cross BTC cap , because it will be seen as the "better monopoly"

the Crypto currency market is about to change in a fundamental way I believe.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 03:05:26 PM

alts with..

any premine even 0.01%

any instamine (ninja launch, or instamine settings)

zero post devs

All = potential scams, which is what most are.

There are a few dev teams that just keep launching coins, pumping and dumping their premines and instamines and starting new coins. This will kill nearly all alts eventually.

This board is the main jumping point for these scammers to get a foot hold. The alt section here has now practically killed any chance of people taking alt coins seriously.

Take away these dev teams premines and instamine pots of coins and you will see a huge reduction in the amount of coins released. That little 1% premine they keep dumping is all they need to keep pumping this crap out daily. Let's reduce it to 0% and see if they're so motivated.

If devs premine AT ALL = all coins should be held by escrow and released to the devs over time for continued suppport and development.

Instamine settings switched off fully.

Some alts have a future but many will not.

There is room for more than just BTC.

squall1066 (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 03:23:51 PM

my thoughts :

you make a lot of obvious points, but then end with a "could mining" punchline, do you realize i've explained how China is breaking the Bitcoin mining monopoly, and the only way that the original holders can try to hold that monopoly is to sucker some "greater fools" into "cloud mining", basically use their capital to fund further ASIC expansion to try to keep up wtih China and others.

I've also predicted that LTC will cross BTC cap , because it will be seen as the "better monopoly"

the Crypto currency market is about to change in a fundamental way I believe.

Yes, The obvious came firs as I believe it's lost on most people.

I hear you on the cloud mining, I don't think I said it right, I was aiming more towards hosted mining, But if a cloud mining service was really transparent, At what point would it become hosted mining?

alts with..

any premine even 0.01%

zero post devs

There are a few dev teams that just keep launching coins, pumping and dumping their premines and instamines and starting new coins. This will kill nearly all alts eventually.

This board is the main jumping point for these scammers to get a foot hold. The alt section here has now practically killed any chance of people taking alt coins seriously.

Take away these dev teams premines and instamine pots of coins and you will see a huge reduction in the amount of coins released. That little 1% premine they keep dumping is all they need to keep pumping this crap out daily. Let's reduce it to 0% and see if they're so motivated.

If devs premine AT ALL = all coins should be held by escrow and released to the devs over time for continued suppport and development.

Funny I tried to gather hype on my coin which was no pre-mine, no IPO and only a few people who really "got" the idea was interested, If people cant feel like there in at the back door, They don't want to know. I lost intrest in my idea when 17 coins came out in the week I was planning  Undecided
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 05:30:14 PM

Most alts are shit. Some devs have legitimate good intentions about what they want to achieve with their projects, but most of them are there exclusively to scam and move BTC to their pockets. This is a fact and we see it daily, just look around the alt section, its a total wild wild west.

MaxDZ8

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 06:20:54 PM

As a sympathizer to crypto I don't understand a damn of what's going on.
Seriously, launching RIGHT NOW, 7 day pow... I cannot even understand what's the coin supposed to be it's already not minable.
I don't know how anyone could fall for that bullshit but it's clear in the meanwhile every other coin gets lets attention.
I can only hope I'm mining the one which will survive and go up.

Nonetheless, all coins, even legit ones are too geared towards the hardcore miner. Miner software is mostly a pile of junk and if you carefully look at it, it's clear they don't give a damn to people who don't want to commit a whole machine to mining.
Say goodbye to all those users which have a computer on already and would mine... while surfing the web or writing a document. Oddly enough, botnets are them.

As for the reality check... I wanted to mine a CryptoNote... but I still cannot find a single one fitting. Sad.
georgehosterguy

Activity: 196
Merit: 12

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 06:23:39 PM

I disagree.  99% would be closer to the truth.  1 out of 100 alts.  Or maybe 5 out of a 1000 alts.  So 99 or 99.5% are devs who want to get rich.

rokkyroad
Legendary

Activity: 1090
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 06:49:39 PM

One thing for sure; easy money for the everyday trader is no longer possible in the altcoin biz unless you are a damn lucky gambler.  

Going "long" is really dangerous. Even established coins have lost tremendous value in recent months and may not survive.

Obviously,  the scum/scam/quickrichschemes have done irrepairable damage.

Sadly, more and more money will leave altcoins. Who will survive and flourish? I guess you have to acknowlegde those coins who still manage to stay in the top 10.

Safest place for money is btc. Why challenge the risk on altcoins when you can trade btc with those nice 100 dollar spreads?

" If you have to spam and shout to justify your existence then you are a shit coin."  TaunSew
BBristow79

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 07:16:04 PM

I like to think of alt coins as the .com bubble. There were companies everywhere preaching innovation and products that didn't exist. Investors threw money at them hoping they could catch a winner. Alt coins are the same idea.

If you look at those .com companies some made it big. Most failed and were forgotten by everyone except the investors. I feel the same outcome will occur with Alt coins.

We have a full fledged alt coin war going on right now. This war has pitted all coins against each other and only a few will survive. For me it can't happen soon enough.

I have found the coins I feel are winners and have spread my investment around. None have a pre-mine or ninja launch. None are PoS, all PoW.

We want unregulated and that's what we got. We have to push the BS coin aside and look for the gems.

The part that kills me the most is that we're trying to go mainstream. Now think of yourself as a new investor. You finally figure out how to set up a wallet and purchase some BTC. What are your chances you're going to make money off of an Alt? How many will get scammed? How many will never return? We could have had these investors as crypto enthusiasts and they could've been a great resource to bring crypto mainstream. Rather than that we have someone who now hates Crypto and makes sure to tell 10 of his friends about his negative experience.

I'm not naive enough to think we can avoid this but all the infighting between coins, FUD and general misinformation we all spend too much time defending is taking our resources away from building our community (as crypto in general) and innovation. Once the alt coin war is over, we should be able to refocus on the survivors. New coins will hopefully only survive if they bring something new/better to the table. The Alt coin crypto market will grow, become harder to manipulate, and we can welcome new blood.
Willisius

Activity: 364

I'm really quite sane!

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 07:18:00 PM

I think the majority of people agree that most altcoins only exist to make money for their "developers." It's really a mess. The word "innovation" is used all over the place, so much that it has lost a lot of meaning. A central issue is that it's really easy to fork Bitcoin (as it should be), so a dedicated scammer can make multiple coins in a short period of time.

Digital commodity? Commodities and currencies are two different things. Sadly, I agree. Even Bitcoin is thought of as a commodity by many, rather than a currency.
Bitbirdhunt

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:07:14 PM

Alts are outcome of bitcoin and its success.They couldn't be unseen either while some of the many had many their way till the up and stood out reaching a price level
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 08:11:59 PM
Last edit: August 29, 2014, 08:28:13 PM by MicroGuy

I have a plan on how we can turn the altcoin wreckage into a literal Goldmine.

- Consolidate development.
- Concentrate our collective energies.
- High vibrational.
- True decentralization.
- Positive focus.
- Low entropy.

It's time to consolidate our forces and concentrate our collective energies into a high vibrational positively-focused competitive powerhouse. If everyone would sell 10% of their current holdings and move those funds into Goldcoin, we could build a mighty force of early adopters and talented developers.

A community with the collective power to roll out infrastructure and bring a true decentralized cryptocurrency to the masses.
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:24:06 PM

alts with..

any premine even 0.01%

zero post devs

You can't know then that Bitcoin was instamined for months by Satoshi. He was 75% of the network hash at times.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 12:20:28 AM

i don't have much use for opinions from guys who post in the Altcoin section once a year sorry..

FUD first & ask questions later™
From Above

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 12:23:46 AM

i don't have much use for opinions from guys who post in the Altcoin section once a year sorry..
+1

like all the never seen hero member and legendary member who come here lately playin the new pimps LOL

~CfA~

HomerS

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 12:26:29 AM

most alts are shite obviously

~CfA~

say someone with Trust: -17: -3 / +0(0)
Warning: Trade with extreme caution!

--> Ignore
cabbagehead, he's spamming into every diskussion  Huh

squall1066 (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 01:19:44 AM

+1

like all the never seen hero member and legendary member who come here lately playin the new pimps LOL

~CfA~

Grin I agree, I don't understand why I don't post more often to get such smart comments back  Roll Eyes I will have to post more often, As someone who does not post often in this section, on this forum, obviously has nothing important to bring.  Wink
From Above

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 01:22:08 AM

+1

~CfA~

Grin I agree, I don't understand why I don't post more often to get such smart comments back  Roll Eyes I will have to post more often, As someone who does not post often in this section, on this forum, obviously has nothing important to bring.  Wink

i didnt say that
im sure u have something important to share
we just noticed lots of legendary members saying they r the messiahs
not u bro

~CfA~

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: