Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:58:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] OpenBitASIC : The Open Source Bitcoin ASIC Initiative  (Read 50788 times)
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 01:34:00 AM

What's important in the end is that everybody can get a piece of the most efficient mining hardware for, say <1k USD. That is the only way to ensure Bitcoin mining does not get monopolized to a point where Bitcoin essentially loses its greatest strength: decentralization.

@SgtSpike: I wouldn't limit the pool of potential investors to miners alone - anybody who doesn't want Bitcoin to fail in the long run should have an interest in Bitcoin mining staying decentralized. This initiative is IMHO a very important step towards that end. I'd definitely help funding the development of such an open ASIC design!

waiting if GLBSE funding will be available! Interested thx

Seconded Smiley

+1

Seconded + 1 = Thirded?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Philj

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 05:19:24 PM

This sounds really sweet. can't wait till there is more concrete info and perhaps a prototype with lots of pics.
||bit

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 07:20:24 PM

I just ran across this thread, and love the idea. We'll see how it goes...and will be nice to see some competitionion in the ASIC business. ... go capitalism! Tongue
||bit

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 01:14:00 PM

Is there much difference in a Altera Hardcopy (ASIC?) versus a custom ASIC? ... Performance to cost in particular?
||bit

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 09:19:57 PM

Is this project and/or thread dying out?
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 09:21:38 PM

Seems like it is.

Why not use BFL SuperComputer instead of this vaporware project ?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83985.0

Stay tuned for 15 June announcement and sell all FPGA / GPUs you have that are not by BFL

Cheesy
DILLIGAF

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 09:39:18 PM

Seems like it is.

Why not use BFL SuperComputer instead of this vaporware project ?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83985.0

Stay tuned for 15 June announcement and sell all FPGA / GPUs you have that are not by BFL

Cheesy

BFL is on the same boat until they actually have a product to ship and if their past performance is anything to go by it will be give us your money and six months later we will ship.
Dhomochevsky

Activity: 242
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 09:57:09 PM

Last update by Gusti was only a couple of weeks ago. This is a long-term project meant to create an open source ASIC design. It's even mentioned in the thread, the first prototypes are slated for production in late 2012. I don't think 2 weeks of inactivity on this specific thread spells doom for the project. Q4 2012 seems like a realistic goal for something like this, as opposed to claims by other manufacturers, that also ask for thousands of dollars upfront and deliver months late, after lying about their specs.

So far, I have more trust in this project due to its more realistic goals, than in other commercial ones that so far have delivered nothing but promised the moon and the stars. Yes, it may turn out to be vaporware, but that remains to be seen.
gusti (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 11:10:15 PM

Project is alive and kicking. Not much news lately, so no posting. We are talking with 3 chip manufacturers.
Each need specific technical details before giving a quotation. As soon a manufacturer is elected, we will build a prototype to show. Pre-sales will come after that.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
||bit

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 11:50:39 PM

Project is alive and kicking. Not much news lately, so no posting. We are talking with 3 chip manufacturers.
Each need specific technical details before giving a quotation. As soon a manufacturer is elected, we will build a prototype to show. Pre-sales will come after that.

Thanks for the update.

Gusti, I asked this question in the thread, I was curious if you would help me with it.

"Is there much difference in a Altera Hardcopy (ASIC?) versus a custom ASIC? ... Performance to cost in particular?"

I'm not familiar with what a hardcopy is versus a custom designed ASIC.
Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 07:14:51 PM

Any news on pricing/performance?
norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 07:20:07 PM

subbed.

watching this closely!
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 07:21:43 PM

Think they have stated ~8GH/s@~100W@~$3,000

||bit

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 07:59:01 PM

Seems kinda high. Would such pricing be initial pricing to recoupe startup costs? I'd like to see it lower of course.

My understanding of ASIC's are that they can be like 10+ times faster than FPGA (correct me if I am wrong). I'd therefore expect ABOUT a ten times H/$ ratio. However, BFL could produce FPGA's that hashed at 8GH/$6000 (i.e. 10 BFL Singles). That is half as good as the ASIC H/$... not a tenth (or fifth since they seem to have a supplier trick in how they acquire the Stratix III's). But even some of the other deals imply only a four times advantage of the above project versus 10+ times what I'd guesstimate.

Any thoughts on that?
Coinoisseur

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 08:18:41 PM

An ASIC seller has to recover their initial investment. They aren't going to pass on all the MH/$ to the buyers, instead they will price to make it an obvious buy over existing alternatives.

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                      
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                      
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                        
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                          
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                              
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 08:30:49 PM

With it being opensource hardware anyone else can commission their own production run of the hardware so after the initial release get ready for loads of cheap(er) (official) copy's being released.  Yes as the years go on production runs will get cheaper and hardware advances following Moore's law should happen.  As with it being opensource hardware anyone can pick up on its designs to improve it and produce a new version.  That is one of the main advantages of this project over other closed-source alternatives.  With opensource hardware making this design cheaper so more widely used.  Then if the bitcoin protocol is changed (which could wipe out any ASIC) it will more likely take into consideration the dominate hardware design of the blockchain.  

matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 08:52:46 PM

Seems kinda high. Would such pricing be initial pricing to recoupe startup costs? I'd like to see it lower of course.

My understanding of ASIC's are that they can be like 10+ times faster than FPGA (correct me if I am wrong). I'd therefore expect ABOUT a ten times H/$ ratio. However, BFL could produce FPGA's that hashed at 8GH/$6000 (i.e. 10 BFL Singles). That is half as good as the ASIC H/$... not a tenth (or fifth since they seem to have a supplier trick in how they acquire the Stratix III's). But even some of the other deals imply only a four times advantage of the above project versus 10+ times what I'd guesstimate.

Any thoughts on that?

I'd like a 4GH/s@50W@$1,500 or even a 2GH/s@25W@$750 version to make the initial cost outlay lower to attract even more miners in and not just a "few" big players.

Shadow383

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 09:20:35 PM

Any thoughts on that?

I'd like a 4GH/s@50W@$1,500 or even a 2GH/s@25W@$750 version to make the initial cost outlay lower to attract even more miners in and not just a "few" big players.

Hell, I think we'd all love to get 2Ghash for $750  Wink
matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 09:31:00 PM

Any thoughts on that?

Hell, I think we'd all love to get 2Ghash for $750  Wink

Yeah if when ASIC's first come out if they can release an ASIC under $1,000 most (a lot of) hobby miners in the western world could jump on the bandwagon and not just the people with the prices of a BFL Mini-Rig to invest.  Therefore keeping the blockchain diverse and not in the hands of just a few miners.  Which could spell the end for bitcoin adoption.  If they offer amazing rates like 100GH/s@1kW@$10,000 only it could kill bitcoin mining for most people and its bitcoin miners who are they biggest supporters of bitcoin.  Reduce there number and reduce the number of bitcoin promoters and then also users.

gusti (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 09:37:46 PM

@||bit : hardcopy is lower NRE, with higher price per chip and lower performance, compared with a custom full ASIC. YMMV with different technologies and economies of scale.

@Shadow383 : no more news until we have final quotations from manufacturers. Each manufacturer has a different approach, which may lead to different price / performance on the final design.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: