Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:46:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Charlie Shrem Pleads Guilty - What do you think?  (Read 5930 times)
QuestionAuthority (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 05:07:26 AM

http://www.coinfinance.com/news/charlie-shrem-pleads-guilty

I know all of you are aware of this news already. I'm interested in what you think about it.

Should he have plead guilty? Fight for Bitcoin rights and become a martyr in prison or save himself?
Was a crime really committed or is this just a government attack on Bitcoin?
Was this a "scare" prosecution to make the rest of us "behave"?
Do you believe if he is guilty of the crimes accused he should pay for his actions? (the govt is right)
Do you think part of his "deal" includes selling out his friends, partners and clients?
Was this because there was already an ongoing investigation of Silk Road and he was unlucky enough to be dealing with them?
Do you know any insider info about what's really happening?

Here's my take on it. I like Charlie. I bought some stuff from him when he was selling in the marketplace on this forum. I had a problem with my order and he quickly made it right. I think he's a cool guy that fucked up. I don't think he sold anyone out. I think prosecutors like to put things to bed quickly so they make offers that are too good to be true that way they don't have to go to court. I think they had been looking at Silk Road for a long time and he was just a small part of that investigation.

I know people hate self moderated threads so I purposely didn't make this one. However, this isn't meant to be Charlie's public crucifixion so please be civil. You don't have to slander the man to state your opinion, he's been through enough.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tins

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 05:10:55 AM

He took the lesser crime to avoid a long possible sentence.
I'd think most of us, if put in his position, would be forced to do the same thing.
ANTIcentralized

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 06:58:24 AM

Was this a scare prosecution? - probably yes. The government has wanted to make an example of large players in the bitcoin world to discourage people from using bitcoin for illegal purposes.

Is he actually guilty? - technically yes. Although the reason he is guilty is really only because he did not reasonably gather the identity of the people he was selling bitcoin to. If he made a better effort to gain the identity of his buyers of bitcoin then he would not be guilty. The government really has him on nothing more then a technicality.

Do you think part of his "deal" includes selling out his friends, partners and clients? - based on the indictment it looks like the government thinks he acted alone. The fact that he is/was the CEO of bitinstant would likely mean that he is the highest ranking person in this "crime"
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 07:16:37 AM

im sure he wasnt thrilled about pleading guilty
tins

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 07:18:49 AM

When it came down to it, he had to think about the possibility of going away for a decade or longer. Gotta think about family first, always take the sure thing and the slap on the wrist versus possibly walking away scott free, but also possibly going away for a long, long time.
Mieehayii

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 07:20:10 AM

that is normal behavior

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀███▀████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▀▄█████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▄█▄▀████

███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀████████▀▀▀██▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀█████
███          ▀███   ████████   ██    ▀█████████   ██           ▀████   █████
███   █████▄   ██   ████████   ██      ▀███████   ██   ██████▄   ███   █████
███   ██████   ██   ████████   ██   █▄   ▀█████   ██   ████████   ██   █████
███   █████▀   ██   ████████   ██   ███▄   ▀███   ██   ████████   ██   █████
███          ▄███   ▀██████▀   ██   █████▄   ▀█   ██   ███████▀   ██   █████
███   ▄▄▄▄▄███████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ███   ███████▄      ██   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄███   █████
███   █████████████▄        ▄████   █████████▄    ██        ▄▄▄█████   █████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
.Any Store Can Buy, Sell and Accept Cryptocurrency.██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
[[[ Whitepaper    Twitter     Facebook]]]
[[[  Telegram      Medium     Youtube ]]]
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 09:58:46 AM

So what is the maximum sentence for "aiding and abetting an unlicensed money transmitter"? Seems pretty mild compared to the original charges so I am not surprised he took the deal. Unfortunately this also means that a court won't be considering the legality of a company like BitInstant. From what I remembered they'd made some effort to remain legit.
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 10:04:27 AM

I think he was (technically) guilty and others will learn from his mistakes.

I assume he's banned from working in the money-transmitter space.  Is he banned from operating Bitcoin businesses generally?
TrailingComet

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 10:30:34 AM

I am guessing he pled guilty to avoid being hit with more severe charges
Then again, maybe I watch too many US law and order shows!

Darude Sandstorm

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 10:37:20 AM

I'm sure he only plead guilty because that was his only option. Plead not guilty and he'd probably get a hell of a lot longer. What has the other guy pleaded?

maurya78

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 11:52:58 AM

Smells like a 12th hour deal was struck to give him the opportunity of a lighter sentence

Don't blame him for going down that path

BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 12:15:53 PM

Is he actually guilty? - technically yes. Although the reason he is guilty is really only because he did not reasonably gather the identity of the people he was selling bitcoin to. If he made a better effort to gain the identity of his buyers of bitcoin then he would not be guilty. The government really has him on nothing more then a technicality.

Thats actually not what my alleged crimes were. We have the identities of everyone. The prosecution alleges that I "with intent, promoted silk road". They make that connection by my alleged knowledge that a very small % of BitInstant Bitcoin purchases were by customers who wanted to buy something on silk road.

I assume he's banned from working in the money-transmitter space.  Is he banned from operating Bitcoin businesses generally?

Nope, Im actually working for one now  Grin http://www.coindesk.com/payza-launches-bitcoin-buying-consumers-190-countries/

I'd think most of us, if put in his position, would be forced to do the same thing.

Yes I was facing 30 years with money laundering charges.

Wont u face problem for discussing your sentence openly in public ?

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 12:29:23 PM

When it came down to it, he had to think about the possibility of going away for a decade or longer. Gotta think about family first, always take the sure thing and the slap on the wrist versus possibly walking away scott free, but also possibly going away for a long, long time.

Indeed you cant fight the machine single handed. Im sure in the end bitcoin will have been better off for charlie shrem contributions. 
oceans

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 12:48:21 PM

I think anyone in this kind of situation would have taken any chance they had to get themselves a lighter sentence even if it meant pleading guilty. It seems this was the case and I know many of us if put into the same situation would have taken the same decision.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 01:33:12 PM

Thats actually not what my alleged crimes were. We have the identities of everyone. The prosecution alleges that I "with intent, promoted silk road". They make that connection by my alleged knowledge that a very small % of BitInstant Bitcoin purchases were by customers who wanted to buy something on silk road.

I assume he's banned from working in the money-transmitter space.  Is he banned from operating Bitcoin businesses generally?

Nope, Im actually working for one now  Grin http://www.coindesk.com/payza-launches-bitcoin-buying-consumers-190-countries/

Wont u face problem for discussing your sentence openly in public ?

No

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 01:34:16 PM

So what is the maximum sentence for "aiding and abetting an unlicensed money transmitter"? Seems pretty mild compared to the original charges so I am not surprised he took the deal. Unfortunately this also means that a court won't be considering the legality of a company like BitInstant. From what I remembered they'd made some effort to remain legit.
max for his charge is 5 years, but he won't get sentenced to that.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
QuestionAuthority (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 01:34:42 PM

Thanks for dropping in Charlie. I knew you would. I read a Reddit thread that was accusing you of all kinds of horrible things that I knew weren't true and I wanted to give you a chance to address them if you could and not jeopardize your case. Reddit's down voting system keeps good answers at the bottom and lies at the top. Besides I don't think anyone would believe it was you on Reddit.

All of the questions in the OP were gleaned from that Reddit post. Can you address some of them without compromising your case? Do you believe you were just in the wrong place at the right time because they were investigating Silk Road already? Obviously you have the insider info I was talking about. Do you think your prosecution was meant to make the rest of us behave? Should we fear NY as a place to do business (are they gunning for us)? I know Coinbase already put the application in for a Bitlicense in NY. Should they withdraw it? (keep 49 states and give up on that one?)

clemahieu

Activity: 238
Merit: 122

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 02:04:14 PM

What would you recommend people do to avoid being in the same situation?

RaiBlocks coin:  Instant blocks, no fees
tins

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 04:28:47 PM

I think anyone in this kind of situation would have taken any chance they had to get themselves a lighter sentence even if it meant pleading guilty. It seems this was the case and I know many of us if put into the same situation would have taken the same decision.

Especially anybody with a family...imagine having to go decades without seeing those people you hold most dear in your life.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 04:30:56 PM

Especially anybody with a family...imagine having to go decades without seeing those people you hold most dear in your life.
I'd rather be dead. I'm not alone.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: