Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:25:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: difficulty went down  (Read 2569 times)
chiropteran (OP)

Activity: 348
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2012, 03:40:06 AM

Is this summer heat shutting some miners down, or is this a result of dumb miners wasting work without the current version making invalid blocks?  A little of both, I guess.

Or is there another explanation?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 13, 2012, 04:41:24 AM
Last edit: April 14, 2012, 06:36:19 AM by Stephen Gornick

Well, the prior adjustment period had an increase of 8.5% so this drop of 3% doesn't even reverse half of the previous rise.
 - http://bit.ly/HCbFOp (difficulty history spreadsheet)

There definitely was a fair amount of wasted hashes on blocks that became orphaned but there's been enough time for miners to have updated and the hashing level hasn't yet turned back upward.
 - http://bitcoin.sipa.be/speed-lin-2k.png

There are miners rotating out of GPU mining and delving into FPGA mining, so during that transition there is a period where some are doing no mining, particularly if they need the proceeds of the hardware sales to fund the purchase of the FPGAs.  Even then, many end up on a waiting list for the FGPAs ordered, in the meantime.

Here's one miner that is making that switch:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=75616.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

freshzive

Activity: 447

View Profile
April 13, 2012, 03:55:38 PM

I'll take it!

Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
April 14, 2012, 01:47:01 AM

The large botnet that was mining zero-transaction blocks appears to have stopped, at least for the time being, but the increase won't be fully reversed due to the increase in FPGA mining and the greater hashrates of the 7xxx series ATI cards.
If BFL for example were to clear their backlog of orders we'd probably see 2000000+ difficulty in no time at all.
rograz

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 14, 2012, 08:33:05 PM

It somewhat get's mitigated by ppl dropping out tho, at least here in Europe a lot of ppl are very close to where it isn't worth the hassle when running old 58xx rigs around 2mh/w (unless you undervolt) and paying 0.15$+ per kwh.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 05:06:57 PM

Well, the prior adjustment period had an increase of 8.5% so this drop of 3% doesn't even reverse half of the previous rise.
 - http://bit.ly/HCbFOp (difficulty history spreadsheet)

There definitely was a fair amount of wasted hashes on blocks that became orphaned but there's been enough time for miners to have updated and the hashing level hasn't yet turned back upward.
 - http://bitcoin.sipa.be/speed-lin-2k.png

There are miners rotating out of GPU mining and delving into FPGA mining, so during that transition there is a period where some are doing no mining, particularly if they need the proceeds of the hardware sales to fund the purchase of the FPGAs.  Even then, many end up on a waiting list for the FGPAs ordered, in the meantime.

Here's one miner that is making that switch:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=75616.0

Stephen's right. He even correctly pointed out mrb who was known to have 15 gh/s as of last year:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6169.msg91235#msg91235

I'm pretty sure most of the more establish miners are moving to FPGAs either now or soon. I'm sure they are looking at this summer and cooling costs and focusing more on getting a better hash/joule right now. I'm actually looking at doing the same, but I'm still (mostly anyway) accumulating coin instead of selling.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2012, 05:12:58 PM

Even if the total network hashrate remains fixed, difficulty adjustments of ~5% are to be expected simply due to randomness.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Tittiez

Activity: 686

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 06:29:51 PM

Even if the total network hashrate remains fixed, difficulty adjustments of ~5% are to be expected simply due to randomness.

At the moment the next re-target is expecting -13.73%, doesn't look much like randomness.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 07:07:27 PM

At the moment the next re-target is expecting -13.73%, doesn't look much like randomness.

That's likely because we're only ~19% through this difficulty period.

Imagine if the first block after a difficulty change took 1 minute to solve -- then, you might 'expect' a -90% difficulty adjustment the next time.  But, if the 2nd block takes 59 minutes, then you'd be looking at a +600% difficulty adjustment.

Yes, there is going to be some variance in mining power over a 2 week period.  But, there is also going to be variance in luck.  13.73% variance over a period of a 2-3 days can be expected.
antares

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 10:29:38 PM

Imagine if the first block after a difficulty change took 1 minute to solve -- then, you might 'expect' a -90% difficulty adjustment the next time.  But, if the 2nd block takes 59 minutes, then you'd be looking at a +600% difficulty adjustment.

max readjustment is 400% up and down.
however, we are currently seeing a drop in hashing power of about 20-30%. this isnt normal fluctuation. I'd be rather interested in what is the real cause for this.
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 11:47:44 PM

however, we are currently seeing a drop in hashing power of about 20-30%. this isnt normal fluctuation. I'd be rather interested in what is the real cause for this.

Ah, thanks for reminding me about max adjustment.

One possibility though is summer heat.

I'm getting about 10-15% fewer m/hash come to think of it because I've had to downclock.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 08:57:06 PM

Ah, thanks for reminding me about max adjustment.

One possibility though is summer heat.

I'm getting about 10-15% fewer m/hash come to think of it because I've had to downclock.

Ditto.  I switched (just in time) most of my rigs to summer mode.  I do about 20% less.  I am underclocked and undervolted now. 

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 09:03:36 PM

Ditto.  I switched (just in time) most of my rigs to summer mode.  I do about 20% less.  I am underclocked and undervolted now. 

Same here although the watercooled ones are running at 15% higher clock.  Just need to get all the rigs converted. Smiley
TheHarbinger

Activity: 378

Why is it so damn hot in here?

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 09:27:16 PM

I had to downclock about a month and a half ago.   Undecided   I fucking hate Florida.

12Um6jfDE7q6crm1s6tSksMvda8s1hZ3Vj
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 10:44:32 PM

I had to downclock about a month and a half ago.   Undecided   I fucking hate Florida.

If you're in Florida, you definetely need FPGAs. How do you even deal with all those power outages over there? This must be killing rigs, too.

Greetings from a much too cold spring in Central Europe! Temps are still higher 40s during the day and 36 F right now (midnight).  Grin
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 10:53:46 PM

Speaking of heat and cooling, my current cooling setup is....odd.

Apparently, my rig is cooler with my desktop-case closed rather than leaving the sides of the case open (thanks to the CoolerMaster fans I'm guessing).  Interestingly, an open case with a desk fan blowing directly on the cards is hotter.

Even more interestingly, taking a desk fan and blowing it through one of the CoolerMaster case fans (fan squared) is the coolest.

Go figure.
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 11:05:06 PM

Apparently, my rig is cooler with my desktop-case closed rather than leaving the sides of the case open (thanks to the CoolerMaster fans I'm guessing).  Interestingly, an open case with a desk fan blowing directly on the cards is hotter.

Even more interestingly, taking a desk fan and blowing it through one of the CoolerMaster case fans (fan squared) is the coolest.

Go figure.

Not so odd at all. It's all about airflow and effective heat dissipation. If you leave out the sides, you ruin the airflow inside your case. Adding more fans, even a deskfan, won't help the heat to leave the case. Worst case you will just mix the hot air and a lot of it'll stay in the case. This, and the fact that open cases tend to accumulate much more dust and will build up additional heat made me go back to closed cases and air filters.
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 11:14:34 PM

Go figure.

Not so odd at all. It's all about airflow and effective heat dissipation. If you leave out the sides, you ruin the airflow inside your case. Adding more fans, even a deskfan, won't help the heat to leave the case. Worst case you will just mix the hot air and a lot of it'll stay in the case. This, and the fact that open cases tend to accumulate much more dust and will build up additional heat made me go back to closed cases and air filters.

Word.  CoolerMaster rocks.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 12:12:07 AM

It's also worth noting that Microsoft and some antivirus vendors took down a botnet that was supposedly mining on the Bitcoin network recently too, at one point it was getting between 15-20% of the mined coin by some estimations. I don't think it was recent enough to account for the present drop that looks to be a pretty steep one, but like others have said, give it another thousand blocks before trying to really estimate it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: