Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:38:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do average people run full nodes  (Read 2434 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 03:33:52 PM
Last edit: September 01, 2014, 04:25:25 PM by LaudaM

I don't think it consumes that many CPU cycles! Sure, it does consume them continuously, but merely verifying transactions isn't that processor consuming. I guess people like the idea of Bitcoin and like to be part of it, support it, and thus can also be proud of its success.

I agree. Not much CPU. But ram and disk space. yeah.
Right now it's taking up 24,6 GB (one of the folders) of space for me.
I have 4x4TB configuration.
How is this a lot of disk space? The RAM usage was less than 10% at any time.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 03:37:09 PM

Not arguing or anything, but can you explain why it harms the network ??

Full nodes aren't for average users. Most average users that are running the reference client actually harm the network.

99.9% of the people should stick with a light version as their wallet and never care about how the network works.

PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 03:47:06 PM

Full nodes aren't for average users. Most average users that are running the reference client actually harm the network.

99.9% of the people should stick with a light version as their wallet and never care about how the network works.

I did a few posts ago...
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 03:59:42 PM

Ah yeah sorry... I just saw your post and was intrigued so I clicked the reply button without reading further.

Thanks for that.

I did a few posts ago...

Cicero2.0

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 04:01:57 PM

I do it simply to help the network. It doesn't seem to use a lot of resources on my computer.

CozyLife

Activity: 84

Theymos, unban my account.

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 04:17:14 PM

I do it because it helps to increase the network security. It just feels right.

Due to an article that BitcoinTalk didn't like that I wrote on CCN, my account is banned. Theymos refuses to reply to my request for hearing his side of the story instead of banning my account. Please sign my petition to get Theymos to unban my account. Thank you.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 04:22:14 PM

It's the collegiality, selflessness and public spirited ness that characterises the crypto community
Self interest alone cannot explain why it works
Yep, it's an interesting conglomeration of rational self-interest and idealistic altruism.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
TimS

Activity: 250
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 04:24:26 PM

I know that it helps the ecosystem. It verifies transactions, keeps a full copy of the blockchain, etc...

But it consumes a lot of ram and CPU cycles.
I run Bitcoin Core (with limited incoming connections) and Armory. It takes a big one-time download that took a few hours, ~50GB of disk space (with plenty free), ~650 MB of RAM out of 16GB, ~1 CPU hour out of 400 (based on current uptime and CPU time usages), and minimal bandwidth requirements. The last few of those I can pause any time I want to reclaim the extra resources.
In return, I get to use a good, secure client (Armory) that's connected to the network independent of any external service or undue reliance on peers (to tell the truth about the state of the blockchain, or to protect my privacy). And having powerful local clients, instead of overly-simplified ones, helps me learn more about the technologies behind it. I also like helping secure the network.

For me, that's an agreeable trade, so I run a full node. For some people, the requirements are relatively larger, and the rewards are less important to them, so the balance does not tip in the "run a full node" direction.

Self-interest can, in fact, be sufficient, including in my case. Altruism is a small part of why I run a full node, but is not sufficient nor necessary in my case.

And I know how average users can hurt the network. If we had fewer average users, I'm sure I could bump up my max number of connections substantially. I have to keep it low because I'll occasionally have someone want to download a huge number of blocks from me, and I have little upload bandwidth, so it interferes with anything else I'm trying to do.
BIGbangTheory

Activity: 83

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 04:53:22 PM

I don't think it consumes that many CPU cycles! Sure, it does consume them continuously, but merely verifying transactions isn't that processor consuming. I guess people like the idea of Bitcoin and like to be part of it, support it, and thus can also be proud of its success.

I agree. Not much CPU. But ram and disk space. yeah.
Right now it's taking up 24,6 GB (one of the folders) of space for me.
I have 4x4TB configuration.
How is this a lot of disk space? The RAM usage was less than 10% at any time.
I think the disk space by today's standards is very small. By 5 years ago standards it would be a lot. At the rate the blockchain is growing and the rate that HD capacity is increasing the blockchain size will never be large in terms of possible hard drive space.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 04:58:30 PM

I know that it helps the ecosystem. It verifies transactions, keeps a full copy of the blockchain, etc...

I run Bitcoin Core (with limited incoming connections) and Armory. It takes a big one-time download that took a few hours, ~50GB of disk space (with plenty free), ~650 MB of RAM out of 16GB, ~1 CPU hour out of 400 (based on current uptime and CPU time usages), and minimal bandwidth requirements. The last few of those I can pause any time I want to reclaim the extra resources.
In return, I get to use a good, secure client (Armory) that's connected to the network independent of any external service or undue reliance on peers (to tell the truth about the state of the blockchain, or to protect my privacy). And having powerful local clients, instead of overly-simplified ones, helps me learn more about the technologies behind it. I also like helping secure the network.

For me, that's an agreeable trade, so I run a full node. For some people, the requirements are relatively larger, and the rewards are less important to them, so the balance does not tip in the "run a full node" direction.

Self-interest can, in fact, be sufficient, including in my case. Altruism is a small part of why I run a full node, but is not sufficient nor necessary in my case.

And I know how average users can hurt the network. If we had fewer average users, I'm sure I could bump up my max number of connections substantially. I have to keep it low because I'll occasionally have someone want to download a huge number of blocks from me, and I have little upload bandwidth, so it interferes with anything else I'm trying to do.
Just a quip -- you can run armoryd/bitcoind and limit bandwidth consumed to ~8kb/s down, 2kb/s up with it still being fully functional and up-to-date (req's should be significantly lower than that, but I haven't checked in a while and wanted to be conservative) using an application-level bandwidth throttler like NetLimiter.
HELP.org

Activity: 510
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 05:01:29 PM

I have DNS servers and such that run 24/7 and running a Bitcoin node doesn't make any noticeable difference.

Certified Bitcoin Professional
Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 08:06:07 PM

bitcoin-core "node" request :
- less than 180Mo of RAM
- with a 10Mb of cache (setting)
- restricted to 12 connexions (usually 8 )
- less than 10ko/s in Upload bandwidth
- at this day, 25Go of space disk
- less than 5% of CPU power (on 2,9GHz dual core style)

To alive an network ... that it can not be shutdowned (or controled) ... it's a gift.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 08:27:43 PM

Because they believe in Bitcoin project and they are enthusiast... just because of that
not everything has profit reason
rackcityb1

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 08:31:39 PM

Just a quip -- you can run armoryd/bitcoind and limit bandwidth consumed to ~8kb/s down, 2kb/s up with it still being fully functional and up-to-date (req's should be significantly lower than that, but I haven't checked in a while and wanted to be conservative) using an application-level bandwidth throttler like NetLimiter.
I would think that these limits would prevent you from relaying unconfirmed TXs as your node would spend much of it's time downloading recently found blocks (if the average block is close to the limit).
xrobesx

Activity: 335
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 08:45:30 PM

I agree that thin clients are much better for 99.9% of people. I think that is clear and also intended considering it was in the Satoshi's white paper as well.

But I'm not clear on how an average user running bitcoinqt actually harms the network. How so?

Because they don't open all the necessary ports to run a full node and so they end up being leechers slowing down the hole network.

what are the correct ports to open? That will up the connections from about 8 to many more correct?
Dimelord

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 08:50:41 PM

BECAUSE WE CAN!!!!!!!!!
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 08:56:16 PM

I agree that thin clients are much better for 99.9% of people. I think that is clear and also intended considering it was in the Satoshi's white paper as well.

But I'm not clear on how an average user running bitcoinqt actually harms the network. How so?

Because they don't open all the necessary ports to run a full node and so they end up being leechers slowing down the hole network.
It is not true that they are entirely leechers. A "half-node" can still relay transactions between 2 full nodes.
onezerobit

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 12:07:16 AM

Most people do it...for the sake of it (you should be thankful of them). And they do it to support BTC, so more people would be attracted by it.

And i am glad that they are doing it for free (i hope). That is the best part of it.

www.1zerobit.com - Don't just sit there, go trade
tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 01:18:48 AM

On my PC, running bitcoind uses about 26 GB of disk storage ($2.60 worth of storage at $100 / Terabyte), about 500 Mb of RAM storage ($6.25 at $100 for 8 GB) and about 10 minutes of processor time per day. (A fraction of a penny per day for extra electricity given that I already run the machine 24/7.) My machine has 4 TB of disk storage and 12 GB of RAM, so running bitcoin is not a big deal.  The only downside is the impact on network bandwidth, which may be significant if you have a pathetic ISP. Even this can be mitigated by limiting bandwidth made available for bitcoin.

doggieTattoo

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 01:57:29 AM

It is not true that they are entirely leechers. A "half-node" can still relay transactions between 2 full nodes.
This is better then nothing. IMO the blockchain is propagated enough right now that it would be just fine if most additional nodes were half nodes, as they provide the most important functions of nodes.

TIDEX ▬▬ .CRYPTO COINS AND ASSET TRADING. ▬▬ TIDEX
▬▬▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▬▬
NEW EXCHANGE   ZERO FEES
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: