Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:23:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: what is this bitcoin holder trying to achieve?  (Read 2159 times)
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 05:34:37 PM

What if you are in a signature campaing tho? they remove you from the campaing if you don't use the same address every month, and you have to put it publicly in your bitcointalk profile. Is there any risk into any of this?

I have absolutely no interest in encouraging the excessive spam in this forum by legitimizing the ridiculous signature campaigns.  The fact that they require you to re-use bitcoin addresses is evidence enough for me that they are not well thought out and are poorly managed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MoonTime

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 07:29:35 PM

He probably was doing some underground transaction..or some rich businessman ..
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 09:32:13 PM

What if you are in a signature campaing tho? they remove you from the campaing if you don't use the same address every month, and you have to put it publicly in your bitcointalk profile. Is there any risk into any of this?

Signature campaigns payments are small, at most around 0.5 BTC, and you know when it will comes, so you can transfer it to a safe wallet as soon as you receive the coins.

I guess the rigor you take the advice should be proportional as what difference the money you are transacting would make to your life if lost, and how hard you need to keep privacy.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 09:40:00 PM

https://blockchain.info/address/1N5xzKKSB55x16JWv25FryVWTpzgvp5EXG

I don't understand what's the point of creating a new wallet, transferring almost all the money there, making a new wallet and doing the same repeatedly until you reach around 680 BTCs.

thank you in advance

It's merely a (hot) wallet with change-addresses. They're paying something (maybe even people withdrawing their coins from an exchange or something similar) while the rest of the input goes into another address (don't re-use addresses!)

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 05:50:57 AM

I have absolutely no interest in encouraging the excessive spam in this forum by legitimizing the ridiculous signature campaigns.  The fact that they require you to re-use bitcoin addresses is evidence enough for me that they are not well thought out and are poorly managed.
What about mining on eligius? Or mining on a pool that allows you to lock the payout address (BTC guild is one example of this). If your account at the pool gets hacked and your payout address is locked then you would not be able to suffer any losses.

I agree that signature campaigns do somewhat add to the level of spam on this forum, but I think it would still be here otherwise. I would argue the same principle would apply if someone's forum account were to get hacked that was enrolled in a signature campaign, their earnings would not be stolen by the hacker.

Both of these examples would give disincentives for people to try to hack forum accounts (and pool accounts).

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
Marlo Stanfield

Activity: 490
Merit: 280

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 01:42:51 PM

So you make a new account just to ask this?
I can't even open blockchain.info right now. Why are you tracking the specific address? This seems odd.
I was browsing blockchain.info when I saw on the front page a transaction with over 3000 bitcoins, it got my attention.

Basically it's very likely to be Bitcoin's own version of money laundering.

When hackers or anyone who wants their coins less traceable, they can use a mixing service that will send their coins through many stages of mixing for a small fee. Normally 1-3% randomly assigned.
I would not generalize this activity to only people who are up to no good. There are plenty of legitimate reasons why everyday people would want to use a mixer.

Also the 1-3% fees are much closer to under 1% today.

Yeah, definitely. I didn't mean to imply that anyone wanting privacy was up to good.

Thanks for pointing that out. Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: