Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:53:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: for Win - share a data directory  (Read 1297 times)
icreator (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 04:43:45 AM

Why blockchain directory not shared on MS Windows?

for each user bitcoin clien upload full blockchain anew. Why?

please make common data directory in common for all users path!

Erachain Blockchain is fully ready for use Digital Ecosystem based on blockchain technology for business and government with low transaction costs, identification and built-in functions.
+Decentralized exchange of tokens in Erachain
Willisius

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I'm really quite sane!

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 12:38:23 AM

You can specify the same data directory with "-datadir" in a .conf file. See here.
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4186
Merit: 8421

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 03:31:46 AM

You can specify the same data directory with "-datadir" in a .conf file. See here.
This does not enable you to share a data-directory. Doing that will just corrupt your data directory if you manage to bypass the startup locks.

Actual storage can be shared by using a file system that support copy on write, or copying a data directory and replacing the block files with hardlinks.

Because of those alternatives I wouldn't spend any time developing or reviewing functionality to improve this further, and would instead favor finishing the pruning support.
icreator (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 06:16:10 AM

it is not for end-users
it is for professionals Sad

Erachain Blockchain is fully ready for use Digital Ecosystem based on blockchain technology for business and government with low transaction costs, identification and built-in functions.
+Decentralized exchange of tokens in Erachain
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 09:35:12 AM

it is not for end-users

Its not even a solution*, read the post by gmaxwell again. I think for those "end-users" you have in mind a slim client (e.g. Electrum, Multibit, etc.) would be perfect. While I dont think that its good to have less and less full nodes Im also positive that there will be enough "professionals" as you call them.

*IIRC its not even possible to define a data dir from config file, but only via launch argument. That information might be outdated though.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 09:16:55 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2014, 09:45:54 PM by Dare

it is not for end-users

Its not even a solution*, read the post by gmaxwell again. I think for those "end-users" you have in mind a slim client (e.g. Electrum, Multibit, etc.) would be perfect. While I dont think that its good to have less and less full nodes Im also positive that there will be enough "professionals" as you call them.

*IIRC its not even possible to define a data dir from config file, but only via launch argument. That information might be outdated though.

You can't specify the datadir in the config file, because the config file is stored in the datadir. The wiki page has specifics on what can and can't be specified in the config file.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: