Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:00:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Mining  (Read 1070 times)
Blackstone1031 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 05:44:52 AM

Hi, everyone. I hope I'm putting this in the right place. I never was one for forums, but I've become utterly fascinated with the idea of crypto currency, and I thought I'd try my hand at mining. The problem is, despite my rig being built for (at the time) higher-performance gaming, I'm not generating much in the way of hashrate. I posted in an old GTX 660 thread here (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=164599.0), but I thought I'd post a topic in the mining forum directly to get my feet wet.

My current setup is a Core i7 860 Win 7 x64 rig, running 4gb DDR3 with an EVGA GTX 660 Superclocked, and currently only generating about 80 average hash/s running tsiv's ccminer/CUDAminer... thing. I'm not really tech-savvy, but I know it's not an ideal setup especially since the barrier to entry for BTC and LTC is in ASIC territory now. I'm trying to save for a new rig (or just some better GPUs, got slots I'm not using right now), and I'd love some advice if you have it to give.

tl;dr: New miner, what do?

And glad to be here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thew3apon

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 06:16:48 AM

Hi, everyone. I hope I'm putting this in the right place. I never was one for forums, but I've become utterly fascinated with the idea of crypto currency, and I thought I'd try my hand at mining. The problem is, despite my rig being built for (at the time) higher-performance gaming, I'm not generating much in the way of hashrate. I posted in an old GTX 660 thread here (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=164599.0), but I thought I'd post a topic in the mining forum directly to get my feet wet.

My current setup is a Core i7 860 Win 7 x64 rig, running 4gb DDR3 with an EVGA GTX 660 Superclocked, and currently only generating about 80 average hash/s running tsiv's ccminer/CUDAminer... thing. I'm not really tech-savvy, but I know it's not an ideal setup especially since the barrier to entry for BTC and LTC is in ASIC territory now. I'm trying to save for a new rig (or just some better GPUs, got slots I'm not using right now), and I'd love some advice if you have it to give.

And glad to be here.

You can try using your current cpu and gpu for mining. You should try non-asic coin like darkcoin. Anyway, even asic now is unprofitable so advice not to buy any miner.
Blackstone1031 (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 06:20:18 AM

Is Dark still viable? I was thinking Vert if I could find a way to get my hashrate up. Theoretically, I should be able to get into the kilahash range with this machine, but I'm just not seeing it.

I mean, seriously: 80 hash/s mining Ducknote from a dead pool. I played Wildstar and Skyrim at full bore when they both came out, no problems.

I... don't really know if that's a good barometer for system power any more or not.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 06:39:40 AM

And glad to be here.

I HIGHLY suggest looking into ROI calculations.  Sadly GPU days are dead for most.

Look and see about asics.  You can get so much MHz for your electricity it just is hard to compete with.
Blackstone1031 (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 06:51:36 AM

From what I've read, even the ASICs days are numbered, given that small-scale server farms are now dedicated to mining BTC and LTC. I suppose it's only a matter of time until they get around to making boards for other algorithms, but part of me thinks when that happens, altcoin devs will just throw in the towel. Hell, from what I've researched, Vert has outright said if somebody develops an ASIC that works with their coin, they're going to crash the value.

EDIT: I mean, please, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm fascinated by cryptos as a hobbyist, but I want to turn a profit too, even if it's a small supplement. I've always had a fascination with investing, but never could come up with seed money to do anything with. Or has the profiteering phase of crypto currency passed entirely?
petersiddle98

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 07:50:55 AM

All in all, none of the mining is profitable. Even if you have free electric, you still need to choose the correct products..

CryptoCarmen

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 11:50:50 AM

And glad to be here.

You should go mine Monero is CPU and GPU mineable, here is thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.0 , there is all you need to know or just go to their IRC and ask
Blackstone1031 (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 04:38:13 PM

And glad to be here.

You should go mine Monero is CPU and GPU mineable, here is thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.0 , there is all you need to know or just go to their IRC and ask

I've been trying. CoinWarz has it listed as "Under Maintanence" and I'm not getting any response from the pools I've tried. I'll check out the IRC.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: