Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 10:45:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin, altcoin, litcoin, dogecoin  (Read 8936 times)
barneystinkcoin (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 08:27:48 AM

What's the difference between those coins? Does it have the same prices? Though I only hear about bitcoin a lot. What's altcoin, litcoin and dogecoin got to do?
Neg

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 08:37:49 AM

http://coinmarketcap.com/

No, they don't have the same prices. They have very different values. Please see the above site. Most of the other alts are just crapcoins and you shouldnt bother with them.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 08:56:54 AM

What's the difference between those coins? Does it have the same prices? Though I only hear about bitcoin a lot. What's altcoin, litcoin and dogecoin got to do?
They are copies of bitcoin that some greedy persons made
They really often introduce no important features and sometimes contain viruses but try to fool noobs into thinking they are much more robust/safe/fast/beautiful/practical/whatever than Bitcoin

You can trade them in several places (keep in mind that pump&dumps are the way to go there)

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Buziss

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 08:57:46 AM

Bitcoin = the coin created by satoshi in Jan 2009
Altcoin = alternate coin = all other coins

Litecoin = the first altcoin created in 2011
Dogecoin = another altcoin created in 2013

oceans

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 12:06:45 PM

Bitcoin is the one that was created first and is the original as many would say. None of the prices are the same and the others are ones that people thought they could create and make copies of bitcoin with just calling them different names, mainly people who feel they can make a quick buck out of creating something similar.
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 12:27:37 PM

Litecoin is far from being the first altcoin

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 12:43:54 PM

Sorry, but I couldn't get your point. Can you explain? Smiley

~~MZ~~

catlinhappy

Activity: 126

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:52:54 PM

They all vary in price and value, but for more info visit http://coinmarketcap.com/ to update yourself.

deebob

Activity: 123

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 04:17:58 PM

~~MZ~~

Its totally different

"Litecoin offers three key differences from Bitcoin, which its developers hope will make it better than Bitcoin.[6][7]

The Litecoin network aims to process a block every 2.5 minutes, rather than Bitcoin's 10 minutes, which its developers claim allows for faster transaction confirmation.[2][15] The drawbacks of faster block times are increased blockchain size, and an increase in the number of orphaned blocks. Advantages include greater resistance to a double spending attack over the same period as Bitcoin, if both networks had the same computing power.
Litecoin uses scrypt in its proof-of-work algorithm: a sequential memory-hard function requiring asymptotically more memory than an algorithm which is not memory-hard.[16]
The Litecoin network will produce 84 million litecoins, or four times as many currency units as will be issued by the Bitcoin network.
The original intended purpose of using scrypt was to allow miners to mine both Bitcoin and Litecoin at the same time.[12] The choice to use scrypt was also partially to avoid giving advantage to video card (GPU), FPGA and ASIC miners over CPU miners. Mining litecoin with a CPU or video card is approximately 1000 times slower than mining bitcoin with the same CPU or video card.

Due to Litecoin's use of the scrypt algorithm, FPGA and ASIC devices made for mining Litecoin are more complicated to create and more expensive to produce than they are for Bitcoin, which uses SHA-256.[17]"

From Wikipedia the most legitimate of sources...

howareyo

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 04:26:20 PM

Bitcoin is the first and most traded cryptocurrency and probably the only one with a bright future.
dougg

Activity: 145

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 04:33:52 PM

Bitcoin is the first and most traded cryptocurrency and probably the only one with a bright future.
A hugely speculative statement. Altcoins do have some purpose even as a reserve crypto.

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 04:37:56 PM

~~MZ~~

The first altcoin is Namecoin

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 01:17:26 AM

Dogecoin has permanant inflation built-in. Not good for investment like most of altcoins.

Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 01:40:51 AM

For newbies all is important is really to know that you can trust altcoin. Most of them are pump and dump attempts. Bitcoin is well known and trading it is secured. There wont be radical differences in value either. Others altcoin can't provide that.
grantenierman

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 02:01:27 AM

litecoin and dogecoin is an altcoin altcoin is pretty much anything but bitcoin because bitcoin is the first.
grantenierman

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 02:05:31 AM

Check out www.coinwarz.com nice list of altcoins and alot of starting mining tools bitcoin is even included
jollybit

Activity: 26

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 03:00:53 AM

But theres a lot of altcoin out there. For you? What is the best there is? Litecoin? Doge? Stellar? Seed?
gregheflee

Activity: 25

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 05:55:08 AM

litecoin and dogecoin is an altcoin altcoin is pretty much anything but bitcoin because bitcoin is the first.

So all of these altcoins then are called, cryptocoin right? Or am i wrong?
nagabeler

Activity: 126

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 08:09:20 AM

how  about price trends ? do they moving to the same price trend?

i mean if BTC/USD price go down, how about DOGE or Litecoin or any other altcoin? do they also go down?

Buziss

Activity: 896

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 09:05:26 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2014, 11:59:02 AM by Buziss

how  about price trends ? do they moving to the same price trend?

i mean if BTC/USD price go down, how about DOGE or Litecoin or any other altcoin? do they also go down?

Usually, but not necessarily.

The BTC/LTC and Doge/LTC rates move freely due to demand and supply.
For example, BTC/LTC drops from ~0.03 to ~0.01 for the past months. https://bitcoinwisdom.com/markets/btce/ltcbtc

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: