Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:13:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Email from Dwolla Regarding Reversals  (Read 10398 times)
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 08:28:56 PM

Someone please explain to me how having a Facebook account makes a person less likely to be committing fraud?

Who says it does. Maybe they just want your FB info for marketing? I bet if I had your social connections I could identify several hot leads.  Sad

The Article linked by Stephen Gornick. Social networks are now being used for credit checks.

I was just wondering if that was a pretext to get your information. If I really wanted to establish identity I would ask for a bill from the gas company, not a face book account.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Splatter

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 08:52:28 PM
Last edit: April 17, 2012, 09:10:42 PM by Splatter

emailed today:

RE: Dwolla ID:  XXX-XXX-XXXX

To Whom It may concern,

Regarding your decision to force facebook or other social network & require a social security number even though I have never traded over the established 5k limit I now request you close my account.

Because of this decision I have withdrawn all remaining money from my account & would like this account closed as soon as this transaction clears.

Further, please delete and all my personal information, including linked bank accounts to this dwolla account.

Thank You,

So now where to I go to get my cash into campbx, Any ideas?
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 08:56:42 PM

Facebook thing and 30 day wait won't really prevent fraud. Afterall most crimebots record every keystroke and login so the potential fraudster would already have all Dwolla/FB/everything and can just buy the SSN# from a lookup service.

Bitinstant should crowdsource trusted people to do cash in hand trades in every city and pay an affiliate fee or something Smiley No more banks or dwolla middlemen. Sort of a giant hawalla network

I would happily participate in such a thing. I wonder how you'd go about vetting so many people though...

Thats a good idea actually.....

Count me in...they already have sites like bitcoinmap and btcnearme.com, but there are not of nodes on them, and they don't appear to have any stats or feedback mechanism for reputation. Even better would be a p2p client.

I'm grumpy!!
wogaut
Donator

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 09:02:44 PM

Facebook thing and 30 day wait won't really prevent fraud. Afterall most crimebots record every keystroke and login so the potential fraudster would already have all Dwolla/FB/everything and can just buy the SSN# from a lookup service.

Bitinstant should crowdsource trusted people to do cash in hand trades in every city and pay an affiliate fee or something Smiley No more banks or dwolla middlemen. Sort of a giant hawalla network

I would happily participate in such a thing. I wonder how you'd go about vetting so many people though...

Thats a good idea actually.....

+1

BusmasterDMA

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 09:30:16 PM

Just looked into this myself.  CampBX accepts USPS money orders, personal checks, and payments from bank bill-pay services.

Bears.  Beets.  Battlestar Galactica.  Bitcoin.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 09:38:39 PM

Now selling Dwolla to mtgox service for 0.50 cents.  Just send funds to https://www.dwolla.com/hub/812-665-7282 with the MTGOX comment that MtGox uses to identify your account.  I will keep a quarter and send it on to MtGox with the comment intact.  I'll probably get my account marked for these requirements before long, and I'll be doing it manually so there will be a delay while I sleep and when I'm AFK, but I can process them within 12 hours from now until Friday, April 20th (I'll be travelling Saturday) or until I get marked.  Of course, there's a chance I'm already marked for having transacted with MtGox, so I would appreciate it if someone who's account doesn't meet the requirements could check and let me know.

Dwolla account ID # 812-665-7282 has been suspended.

Oh well.  At least my account was empty.

That was to be expected! You shouldn't have posted it publicly in the forum. Do you think they are not here looking into these threads?
vampire

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 09:42:15 PM

Someone please explain to me how having a Facebook account makes a person less likely to be committing fraud?

Who says it does. Maybe they just want your FB info for marketing? I bet if I had your social connections I could identify several hot leads.  Sad

The Article linked by Stephen Gornick. Social networks are now being used for credit checks.

My name is pretty generic, also I used a different English spelling of my name.... GL to them. The only thing that pops up from social networks is linkedin.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 09:43:29 PM

Now selling Dwolla to mtgox service for 0.50 cents.  Just send funds to https://www.dwolla.com/hub/812-665-7282 with the MTGOX comment that MtGox uses to identify your account.  I will keep a quarter and send it on to MtGox with the comment intact.  I'll probably get my account marked for these requirements before long, and I'll be doing it manually so there will be a delay while I sleep and when I'm AFK, but I can process them within 12 hours from now until Friday, April 20th (I'll be travelling Saturday) or until I get marked.  Of course, there's a chance I'm already marked for having transacted with MtGox, so I would appreciate it if someone who's account doesn't meet the requirements could check and let me know.

That was to be expected! You shouldn't have posted it publicly in the forum. Do you think they are not here looking into these threads?

Meh.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Splatter

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 10:33:14 PM

Just looked into this myself.  CampBX accepts USPS money orders, personal checks, and payments from bank bill-pay services.

Yeah I saw that myself. Looked into using bill pay from my bank only problem is 5 business day turn over. Yikes send them payment today, it would get there by next Tuesday. That's rough for trying to do business, better off dropping a check / usps in the mail.
BusmasterDMA

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 10:51:40 PM

Yeah I saw that myself. Looked into using bill pay from my bank only problem is 5 business day turn over. Yikes send them payment today, it would get there by next Tuesday. That's rough for trying to do business, better off dropping a check / usps in the mail.
Guess it depends on your needs.  I'm looking to replace a Dwolla monthly-recurring ACH payment, so the billpay method seems to fit that need.   BTW, I've never had a Dwolla transfer take any less than five business days either.

Splatter

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 11:10:15 PM

Yeah that's true. I always got around that by putting cash in before I needed it & maintaining a balance so it was there ready for me,  I can just do the same with bill pay.

SistaS0uljah

Activity: 43

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 12:07:03 AM

If you don't like this, cancel your account today, right now.

I just confirmed with Dwolla support that all 4 steps are now a requirement before sending money to MtGox.
- The 30 bank transfer history I have no problem with.  
- Accessing my Facebook and Social Security number is an unnecessary invasion of my privacy that I will not tolerate, and is the main reason I am cancelling my account.
- The fact that they are up-selling their new Hub Pages product is repugnant, particularly that it is a requirement before you can send money to certain people.  

If you have an account and don't want to comply with their bullshit verification, contact support and ask for it to be deleted.  They should feel some pain from this new policy.
I tried deleting my Dwolla account right after TradeHill went down, but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do this.  I posted a question on their Facebook page asking how one goes about deleting/cancelling a Dwolla account, but it was never answered.  So if I understand you correctly, you have to contact their customer support to ask for your account to be deleted?  Wouldn't it automatically be disabled if you haven't used it in more than 30 days?
SistaS0uljah

Activity: 43

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 12:09:23 AM

If you have an account and don't want to comply with their bullshit verification, contact support and ask for it to be deleted.  They should feel some pain from this new policy.

except that, IIRC, your account won't actually be deleted for a very long time.

They offered to suspend my account, I told them to permanently delete all data that they are not required by law to retain.  They still haven't responded.
I tried deleting my Dwolla account right after TradeHill went down, but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do this.  I posted a question on their Facebook page asking how one goes about deleting/cancelling a Dwolla account, but it was never answered.  So if I understand you correctly, you have to contact their customer support to ask for your account to be deleted?  Wouldn't it automatically be disabled if you haven't used it in more than 30 days?
BusmasterDMA

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 12:27:06 AM

It would seem the fastest method is now to post your account number in this thread.

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 06:12:58 AM

It would seem the fastest method is now to post your account number in this thread.

Suspended, not closed. I have a feeling that closing the account and having your information forgotten is impossible.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 05:36:32 PM

http://help.dwolla.com/customer/portal/articles/269223-how-can-i-delete-my-dwolla-account-

Their TOS says they keep your info for at least 3 years, that is what "suspended" means.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
R-

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Pasta

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 06:14:51 PM

Definitely disatisfied with their SMS verification policy
R-

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Pasta

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 06:16:14 PM

Frankly I think this is interesting. I do not like the FB verification however. It should be an opt out feature along with SMS verification

Robert
BusmasterDMA

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 01:07:07 PM

Seems Dwolla has had a "reversal" of policy.  The Facebook requirement is no longer listed:

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 02:13:27 PM

Seems Dwolla has had a "reversal" of policy.  The Facebook requirement is no longer listed:

LOL...man are they priceless. For anyone with trapped funds, I was able to move them into BitFloor without any verification. No more Dwolla for me! Smiley

I'm grumpy!!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: