Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:42:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WTF is up with Dwolla?!? They're even bigger dirtballs than I thought!!  (Read 6524 times)
cryptoanarchist (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 08:23:04 PM
Last edit: April 17, 2012, 08:04:05 PM by cryptoanarchist

That is, if they didn't already. Went to use BitInstant this morning to transfer money from Dwolla and got this nonsense:

SSN? Link to a social network? I guess one like FaceBook so that they can track you better?? What kind of bullshit is this?

I'm grumpy!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Uncurlhalo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

|Argus| Accounting and Auditing on the Blockchain

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 08:24:35 PM

I believe this is more of a Dwolla thing and less a BitInstant thing. It seems Dwolla has implemented some changes recently and this is sadly one of them.

Argus the revolution in making
cryptoanarchist (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 08:29:09 PM

I believe this is more of a Dwolla thing and less a BitInstant thing. It seems Dwolla has implemented some changes recently and this is sadly one of them.

Edited..

I'm grumpy!!
zer0

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 09:20:40 PM

Just use trustcash and deposit cash in a bank.
Better than waiting 30 days for Dwolla, or that really stupid 'Social networking' requirement.

jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 09:37:50 PM

They've officially sucked since they made unauthorized withdrawals from Tradehill's account and then erased old transactions from already issued account statements to try to hide it. Don't give your business to thieves.
stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 10:27:04 PM

Just use trustcash and deposit cash in a bank.
Better than waiting 30 days for Dwolla, or that really stupid 'Social networking' requirement.

I only use Dwolla so that I can trade on InterSango and CampBX. Other than that, I keep a $0 balance over there.

Ben Milne seems like a tool of the banks and generally a douche. I mean really, a Facebook requirement?!?! If someone ever sets up Jim Bell's "Assassination Marketplace", I got $100 for someone to kick his ass.

Seems they are just doing this for marketing.  They can see who your friends are and try to get them to use Dwolla.  Just plug in a fake facebook page with no friends.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
cryptoanarchist (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 10:29:28 PM

They've officially sucked since they made unauthorized withdrawals from Tradehill's account and then erased old transactions from already issued account statements to try to hide it. Don't give your business to thieves.

I know, I know..."thieves" is being polite. Hopefully Intersango and CampBX will offer other withdrawal methods, but it seems they're all partners in statism.

I'm grumpy!!
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 11:37:23 PM

I know, I know..."thieves" is being polite. Hopefully Intersango and CampBX will offer other withdrawal methods, but it seems they're all partners in statism.

There is a real lack of options in the "non reversible" payments industry.
That claim is what drew us (not just TradeHill all of Bitcoin) to Dwolla in the first place. Obviously the rest of society doesn't all share that need.

Jered

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
cryptoanarchist (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 08:11:45 PM

So here are some of the claims that Dwolla made to me today:

It is totally within their right to change their terms and conditions of using their service without giving any prionotice to their customers. That's right, despite any existing contract law, Dwolla can just change contract midstream , and they don't even have to tell people.

To move money out of Dwolla, you MUST either link to a bank account, or supply a SSN, and be part of Facebook or Twitter.

I told them that I didn't have an SSN, and that SSNs were technically only for Federal employees and it was a felony for me to claim to have one, and their manager, Ian, told me that that wasn't "germaine" to the conversation and had to hang up.

These guys are just purely criminal. I already knew because of what happened to Tradehill but I wanted to trade on the exchanges that take dwolla so I used them anyway.

I guess I just paid for it. Lesson learned. Fuck Dwolla, fuck their employees and their dogs and children as well. May they all die of anal cancer.

I'm grumpy!!
Aggro
Donator

Activity: 296

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 10:18:15 PM

May they all die of anal cancer.

LOLLLLLLLLL sorry that was too funny. I just picture Ben Milne lying sideways in some hospital bed ...
girlsgonebitcoin

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2012, 10:20:21 PM

May they all die of anal cancer.

LOLLLLLLLLL sorry that was too funny. I just picture Ben Milne lying sideways in some hospital bed ...
lol ^^ this
Splatter

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 11:43:44 PM

Email their support and tell them you want to cancel the account. I did it today, as well as others I saw in another thread. The more people that do this, maybe they will get the message.

stochastic

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 12:11:47 AM

It is totally within their right to change their terms and conditions of using their service without giving any prionotice to their customers. That's right, despite any existing contract law, Dwolla can just change contract midstream , and they don't even have to tell people.

To move money out of Dwolla, you MUST either link to a bank account, or supply a SSN, and be part of Facebook or Twitter.

I told them that I didn't have an SSN, and that SSNs were technically only for Federal employees and it was a felony for me to claim to have one, and their manager, Ian, told me that that wasn't "germaine" to the conversation and had to hang up.

These guys are just purely criminal. I already knew because of what happened to Tradehill but I wanted to trade on the exchanges that take dwolla so I used them anyway.

I guess I just paid for it. Lesson learned. Fuck Dwolla, fuck their employees and their dogs and children as well. May they all die of anal cancer.

They didn't ask for your real SSN did they? They only ask for your SSN.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 12:45:14 AM
Last edit: April 18, 2012, 01:42:04 AM by psy

So they need FULL CONTROL of your social network accounts to verify you?

Interesting, to say the least... Has anybody contacted the EFF about this? I bet they will be thrilled!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 01:30:36 AM

Incidentally, two threads regarding this policy change by Dwolla:

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=76866.0;all
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=76571.msg853929#msg853929

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Keyur @ Camp BX

Activity: 299

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 03:43:02 AM

CA,
     We support several withdrawal methods besides Dwolla, including my personal favorite USPS Money Orders.  We will also add couple of more methods soon.

Keyur

Please stay tuned to our news and announcements feeds at:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/CampBX
Facebook: https://facebook.com/CampBX
hongus

Activity: 736
Merit: 100

Adoption Blockchain e-Commerce to World

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 03:46:56 AM

I put some random digits the same length as an SSN and it accepted it o.O

But I'm still closing my account

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 03:47:32 AM

CA,
     We support several withdrawal methods besides Dwolla, including my personal favorite USPS Money Orders.  We will also add couple of more methods soon.

Keyur

Good thing to hear. Personally, I think dwolla is starting to go under.
stochastic

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 03:56:02 AM

I put some random digits the same length as an SSN and it accepted it o.O

But I'm still closing my account

I just logged in and was asked to identify my gender, "Male, female or other" and my employeer identification number since I have a business account.  Since when did businesses have sex organs?

Anyway, maybe we should have a stock letter to close a Dwolla account for bitcoin users to really send a message.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 04:25:12 AM

Dwolla certainly has sex organs as they really fuck up a LOT!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: