Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 07:34:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins with elections  (Read 1086 times)
nelruk (OP)

Activity: 115
Merit: 11

Bitcoin is revolution

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 03:03:14 AM

In US, I've heard some candidates accept BTC for donations. This really inspired me to ask myself about the electoral financing in political campaigns.The US' electoral commission is more energic when it comes to show the spending of the parties but in other countries (specially in Latin America and Africa) I say also good because withdrawing will be easier and they will have more control about their spending but it also let the door open to use some money laundering during these times or am I wrong?

What do you think about the paper of Bitcoin in elections?

Bitcoin is revolution. Visit http://bitcoinlandia.net Smiley my personal blog about bitcoin in spanish
Jay Gatsby

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 03:05:57 AM

Which candidates accept BTC for donation?
Justine

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 03:13:54 AM

In US, I've heard some candidates accept BTC for donations. This really inspired me to ask myself about the electoral financing in political campaigns.The US' electoral commission is more energic when it comes to show the spending of the parties but in other countries (specially in Latin America and Africa) I say also good because withdrawing will be easier and they will have more control about their spending but it also let the door open to use some money laundering during these times or am I wrong?

Kind of open up all kind of fund raising issue if they do that. There are rules for taking money and limit on how much money politician can accept per person.
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 05:26:08 AM

Candidates running for office would still need to gather the identity of the people giving the donations the same way they gather the identity of people giving fiat based donations.

Campaign donations is one thing that bitcoin is not appropriate for. It would make it too easy to appear that many people are donating to a candidate when in fact only one person is giving a lot of money (more then they should be). This could result in the candidate being inappropriately influenced by the person donating a lot of bitcoin to their campaign.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
oceans

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 09:07:36 AM

I honestly did not know that some candidates actually accept bitcoin. I can imagine it may raise a lot of suspicion though to be honest when accepting bitcoin, as stated I know they are only allowed to accept a certain amount per person and with bitcoin they could somehow cheat that or even mistakenly not realise someone is giving more and it could look bad for them.
SamTsuedo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 09:15:20 AM

I think bitcoin donation would make Governments more concerned against btc as it's hard to keep track of it.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1570

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 11:14:32 AM

Candidates running for office would still need to gather the identity of the people giving the donations the same way they gather the identity of people giving fiat based donations.

Not required for small donations.

Under the FEC's opinion, campaign treasurers bear the responsibility for the legality of each donation, and for now virtual-currency donations are limited to $100.

http://bitcoinvox.com/article/905/more-political-candidates-accepting-bitcoin-donations

This one for example:

http://www.coinspeaker.com/2014/07/28/one-congressional-candidate-accept-bitcoin-california/

Christina Gagnier, is not only a technology lawyer and a business owner but also she is a democrat representing  California’s 35th Congressional District. According to the latest news, she became one more US congressional candidate to accept donations in bitcoins.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
BitcoinBadger

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 12:58:36 PM

If they accept bitcoin as a donation may be in the future they legalize bitcoin more supportively and help make bitcoin acceptance easy to the folks
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 05:19:29 AM

Not required for small donations.

Under the FEC's opinion, campaign treasurers bear the responsibility for the legality of each donation, and for now virtual-currency donations are limited to $100.

http://bitcoinvox.com/article/905/more-political-candidates-accepting-bitcoin-donations

This one for example:

http://www.coinspeaker.com/2014/07/28/one-congressional-candidate-accept-bitcoin-california/

Christina Gagnier, is not only a technology lawyer and a business owner but also she is a democrat representing  California’s 35th Congressional District. According to the latest news, she became one more US congressional candidate to accept donations in bitcoins.
I think it would still be easy to make it look like a bunch of $95 donations for example were coming from multiple people but instead were coming from one person (and the person running for office knew this, or would later be made aware of this after he won the election).

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 05:21:23 AM

I think bitcoin donation would make Governments more concerned against btc as it's hard to keep track of it.

i don't think government cares about that. in fact, the republicans in the supreme court are responsible for the citizens united case, which made way to bring even more money into politics.
H.W.Z

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 05:38:31 AM

I think it is not good for the BTC. After receiving BTC, they will dump them all to fiat cash for the spending of campaign. It probably will cause the price drop.

dankkk

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 08:03:04 AM

i don't think government cares about that. in fact, the republicans in the supreme court are responsible for the citizens united case, which made way to bring even more money into politics.
Having a lot of money involved in politics is a good thing as long as the money is involved in issue advocacy as opposed to candidate advocacy. Issue advocacy is something in which a specific issue is advocated, for example trying to get the keystone pipeline built; it will allow for a public debate regarding various issues that people consider to be important enough to spend money on.
OperationMortar

Activity: 16

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 08:40:26 AM

Bitcoin is a worldwide currency and the thing is - you can't prove elections through the whole world just because it's impossible and not every BTC user will answer your question. So? What are you gonna do?
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 09:32:32 AM

I can see Bitcoin being used for some anonymous campaigning, stuff that spreads the message without going through the usual channels.

I recall during Ron Paul's campaign a guy set up a phone polling system that he had to pay for, he could get X amount of calls to voters for Y dollars...he had people send him money via PayPal to do the calls. People sent him some money, he made a lot of calls until the FEC contacted him and said they considered that a donation and that he could not exceed the maximum donation.

If the same thing were done via bitcoins with the calls anonymized then money could be used to campaign without using the usual FEC channels. All completely illegal but unstoppable. Perhaps a decentralized Internet advertising method could come along that uses bitcoins which could be used as well.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
LancangDam

Activity: 11

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 09:38:29 AM

I can't understand the idea of elections because it's diffult for me to get how the greatest anonymous currency will provide its own elections.
itsAj

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 03:32:06 AM

Having a lot of money involved in politics is a good thing as long as the money is involved in issue advocacy as opposed to candidate advocacy. Issue advocacy is something in which a specific issue is advocated, for example trying to get the keystone pipeline built; it will allow for a public debate regarding various issues that people consider to be important enough to spend money on.
I think this will be a key issue when it comes to the involvement of bitcoin in elections. In citizens united v. the FEC, the supreme court found that people and corporations were able to spend as much money as they want on an election as long as the money was not directed towards a specific candidate. Donations to a specific candidate can still be limited.

As long as it is not the candidates themselves that accept bitcoin, but rather then PACs that support the same political party and ideas that a candidate supports then I can see bitcoin being used in elections. 
Fabrizio89

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 04:54:08 AM

There was an article from vice sometime ago about the topic: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/bitcoin-could-change-voting-the-way-its-changed-money. A political party in Italy (Movement 5 Star) was experimenting with a similar concept in their meetups, I guess it could soon become a reality at least in internal issues that require members voting and then probably in real elections.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: