Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:49:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: It's about time to turn off PoW mining  (Read 39781 times)
delulo

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 05:47:35 PM

I think you have a reading comprehension problem. I'm suggesting to convert Bitcoin itself to PoS. I wasn't aware PoS was an altcoin. Your argument is laughable.

PoS Bitcoin will be an alt-coin as long as the majority of the nodes feel that PoW is adequate. It would take dramatic events to convince me that PoS is better than proof-of-work: mainly since PoS does not solve the initial distribution problem in a fair way.
initial distribution? Bitcoin is already distributed. It doesnt get more widely distributed through further mining since mining is only profitable for large scale professional businesses... .
Also see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=770591.msg8720662#msg8720662

Sold 50% due to mining concentration
did you buy in again? Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
delulo

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 05:56:20 PM

ok you go and try and find private buyers of millions of dollars of a coin in less than 12hours.. Good luck with that.. You couldn't even sell 2m worth in 12 hours.. Probably not even 1m or even 500k dollars worth.. Your being out right stupid and picking at straws.. If you think what you just posted is possible in 12 hours then you are an idiot

You don't need to find these buyers within 12 hours. You can court buyers over any length of time and negotiate on a price over months. The sale just needs to happen in 12 hours.

With the example of NXT 8-12 individuals control a majority of the coins so there are many alternative forms of attacks that are technically profitable for any user wanting to take profits and burn the bridges when they leave.

There are many reasons why an early stakeholder may be motivated in attacking Nxt:

1) Disillusioned with community, personal disagreements, or lack of long term hope so wish to take profits and exit with a "bang" for emotional reasons
2) Stake holder who wishes to take profits now and than create his own fork or new PoS and thus wishes to show vulnerability in Nxt. The new PoS coin could attempt to address weaknesses within Nxt like initial distribution or the framework and promote DPoS or some other gimmick to attract disillusioned Nxt Users.
3) Government(s) wishing to attack Nxt
4) A nihilist with too much time on their hands and wishes to inflict "justice"
5) Jealous Bitcoin fanatic who wishes to discredit competing alts
ect...

Your being out right stupid and picking at straws..

If you aren't even considering these attack scenarios and consider them "picking at straws" than you are just another PoS fanboy who isn't serious about security like the rest of us.

inBitweTrust I couldn't agree more with you that it is essentially important to recognize the trade offs of both systems if we want to have a discussion that ehances the understanding of everybody. I would highly appreciate it if you would set an example. You just didnt reply anymore to this one https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=770591.msg8940111#msg8940111 (I think I wrote it in a way that does not deny the weak spots of POS).
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 06:32:05 PM
Last edit: September 27, 2014, 07:16:09 PM by inBitweTrust

Interesting! But then you would have the problem of actually nothing at stake (an attacker would just have to create millions of full nodes) plus own stake. In the end you have NXT like POS with the additional requirement to create a ton of full nodes to attack the network. It could be said that an attacker might be better at creating full nodes at scale than the average stakeholder which would make the system more easy to attack.

1) You are assuming there in only one attacker creating nodes which is unlikely as Bitcoin has grown to such a degree that you should assume multiple attackers. Multiple attackers creating nodes only strengthens the Bitcoin protocol.

2) In the rare case only one attacker is present or there is collusion between attackers than PoW would prevent the attack for any transaction of value. Confirmations from PoNode only are to validate small purchases where the tradeoffs of instant confirmation are justified like buying a cup of coffee. Transactions of greater value will be confirmed with both PoNode and PoW confirmations.  

An attacker would have to trick stakeholder into thinking that his delegates are good delegates. The DPOS implementation of BTSX is in its early days. Today almost all delegates are some reputable forum members.
Yes, and this is how I would carry out an attack on DPoS with only a few thousand dollars:.
1) 6 months ahead of time create many faux delegates by creating identities and usernames in the community.
Each one of these users will have a unique personality which would appeal to a certain demographic. I would pay a few people to
develop and post and interact with the community to build the reputations of these members.
2) Buy a few old usernames(Lengendary) on forums and carry on interacting with the community
3) Create one or multiple user campaigns  to help the DPoS or charity that people could get on board with both the created users and the existing purchased identities of "legendary" members.
4) Have many of these created and purchased usernames run as delegates
5) Take polls and see who are likely potential delegates
6) Take the best delegates that are likely to win and pad their votes with:
   a) for an internal attack from an existing large stakeholder(s): many faux wallets each voting for the fake candidates to insure many of them are elected
     b) For an outside attack I would slowly buy up some stake over 6 months and than use that stake amongst many fake wallets to pay(vote for) my own fake delegates
7) Since all of the stake is paid to my own fake usernames I have lost nothing except a few thousand from the PR campaign and buying up a few usernames
8 ) Once 51 or more seats are won I have plenty of time to sell off my stake to lose nothing or possibly profit while I plan the attack

This initial PR investment could be paid off and a large profit made by an attack on the network once 51 or more delegates are claimed.

Later the idea is that big companies or trustworthy public individuals from the crypto (currency) world would provide delegates: Exchanges, payment processors, DAC developement companies, trustworthy stakeholders; basically everyone that has an interest in a working BTSX system provides a delegate. Those entities then would have a lot more to loose (credibility of an exchange for example) than they could gain from a 51% attack which might be reversed anyway by a fork.
Regarding your attack: Stakeholders would have to be convinced that the random flood of delegates the attack set up are more trustworthy then the current delegates. That might work with 1 or even a few but not with 52.

I agree that delegates with known identities would make the above listed attack very difficult to accomplish. But the anonymous nature of delegates was one of the selling point of DPoS and for good reason. Using real identities with DPoS delegates introduces a whole new set of weaknesses.

1) Lobbyists
2) Kidnapping and ransoms
3) Makes it easier for Hackers to infiltrate their wallet/node( with anonymous delegates, hackers have to spread their resources and make probabilistic attacks instead of targeted ones)
4) Government regulation

When you have real identities running a DPoS those real identities can be attacked by gangs, hackers, or governments. With PoW or PoNode you can be anonymous.

Do you have any idea what happens to delegates who don't go along with the "helpful" plans of government regulators? Quest was the only large cell company to not roll over and give the the NSA an unconstitutional backdoor (initially)to their systems and this is what happened shortly after:

http://www.fbi.gov/oklahomacity/press-releases/2010/ok111210.htm

Coincidence? The NSA has many large databases of all the crimes everyone is committing worldwide that they can retroactively charge you with if you don't play ball.

Now if that happens there could be a fork that reverses the double spent / reversed transactions. Like you said correctly this might harm others who made transactions between the point in time when the double spend happened and when transactions are halted to fork. Those ppl could be compensated through a fund. The advantage would be that the incentive for a double spend attack would decrease to zero when the attacker knows that there is such a fund and a fork would reverse his double spend anyway. How could such a fund be funded (work only work if BTSX grows and tx volume picks up; but gives you an idea what delegates could be good for apart from tx processing): Buy a delegate or several delegates who commit to paying parts of their delegate pay into such a fund. Those delegates then campaign among Stakeholders with this fund.

As for forking to protect a network in general: Let's assume someone has acquired 51% of all hashing power for Bitcoin's sha256 mining then Bitcoin would have to find and implement a new proof of work algorithm in order to fork and get rid of the 51% control of a single party.
When someone has acquired 51% of stake in a POS coin you can simply fork and not honor this 51% and let the market decide which network is considered more trustworthy (probably the one without the 51% control....).

You keep mentioning a hard fork to reverse the transaction in case of an attack. This is a separate conversation because:
 All coins allow for this. We are discussing how to protect a currency before this is needed. Even suggesting this is problematic as relying on this protective measure reduces trust and fungibility in the currency. Why do you think the Nxt Community decided to bribe/settle with the hackers recently who cleared out BTER exchange instead of reversing the transaction ?

Your insurance scheme is also outside the discusion as any currency can implement this insurance plan. We are discussing security to dissuade or prevent an attack in the first place and insurance doesn't do this.

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2014, 06:43:40 PM
Last edit: September 27, 2014, 06:56:03 PM by phillipsjk

Sold 50% due to mining concentration
did you buy in again? Smiley

No I did not. I do not have extra money at the moment (part of the reason for selling half: I just sold more aggressively than I would have otherwise).

I spent a large chunk on more efficient miners: that have been sitting idling for nearly 2 months now. I should really get on configuring them.

I will change that tag if I ever buy back in.

Even with PoS you need to distribute the coins with PoW or you end up with horrible distribution of coins. The longer the PoW stage and more people having a coin, the fairer distribution. Hard to beat Bitcoin imo
Did you look at the Bitcoin distribution?
My propostion would be that POW vs. POS does not have any effect on the distribution. The only effect is how many ppl know about it while it is distributed.
As for the distribution period: This has two effects:
1) The longer it is the more ppl can get in
2) The longer it is when POW is used for distribution the more do economies of scale matter which centralizes the distribution.

Keep in mind that  large miners need to recoup large costs. As they sell newly minted coins, that increases distribution. (My miner's cost is dominated by commercial Internet costs (only because I run a full node). The Asics I have draw only 80W in total ("free" power).)

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
delulo

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 06:57:12 PM

Keep in mind that  large miners need to recoup large costs. As they sell newly minted coins, that increases distribution.
...but this doesn't make the distribution more flat which could be considered fair. What would be the purpose of just putting more coins out there. If there would be no new coins newcomers would just buy them from old stakeholders.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2014, 07:03:23 PM

Keep in mind that  large miners need to recoup large costs. As they sell newly minted coins, that increases distribution.
...but this doesn't make the distribution more flat which could be considered fair. What would be the purpose of just putting more coins out there. If there would be no new coins newcomers would just buy them from old stakeholders.

People already complain that Bitcoin unfairly enriched the early adopters. By minting new coins, you force the early adopters to transfer wealth to the new miners. These centralized miner will then sell the coin to new users.

If the miners refuse to sell coins, the price will go up, prompting other miners to mint and sell coins. Edit: If the price goes up early adopters will sell coins as well.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
TRex95

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 07:56:08 PM

Keep in mind that  large miners need to recoup large costs. As they sell newly minted coins, that increases distribution.
Money will never be "fair" in ways that makes everyone happy. If your argument for using PoS coins that it is a more fair way of distributing wealth, I guarantee you that you will be sadly disappointed if PoS ever goes "mainstream"
delulo

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 08:04:34 PM

[see below]

many faux wallets each voting for the fake candidates to insure many of them are elected
it doesn't matter how many wallets you have. The size of the stake matters.

What is an internal attack vs. an external attack?

Consider that you would have to do this probably with more than 100 forum accounts and at least 52 of them have to get voted in. That means that stakeholders trust your delegates more than the majority of those than are now in place!
Also there are hangouts where the delegates speak today which doesn't reveal their identity but would completely prevent your attack alone unless you hire more than 52 people that do that for half a year.
If you sold your stake which voted for your delegates other's now have the voting power. Your delegates would have to have a decent advantage in approval otherwise they get voted out right away when those you sell your stake to make other choices than to vote for all your delegates.
But let's still assume the worst case occurs, then those delegates have about the same possibilities to pull off a 51% attack as mining pools have today. Miners can go to another pool or mine alone if they realize that their current pool is harming the network. Likewise delegates can get voted out so the attacker would loos his 51% of delegates as quickly as harmful mining pools. So there is not much difference except for the energy costs of mining which have to be paid by someone and the fact that no bitcoinholder decides which mining pool secures their chain.

The cost difference has a big impact: 'block production power' in POW costs a ton of money but close to nothing in DPOS. In the long run electricity costs of POW can not be subsidized by all coinholders (inflation) so that all pay for miners will have to come from tx fees in the long run if you want to incentivize Bitcoin holders to hold their coins. As only 1/250 of the pay miners get today comes from tx fees either tx fees will have to increase by 250x or the hashrate will fall by / 250 if tx/second as well as the average tx fee of ~10 cents stay the same. The result is that the hash rate would probably drop so that is gets cheap (and even cheaper since Sha256 hashing lets allows you to attack other POW networks as well) to buy or rent 51% of the hashing power.

This relates to the difference in hard forking as a solution to reverse attacks: If someone has 51% of the global Bitcoin (and Bitcoin clones) specific hashing power than a hard fork would require implementing a new proof of work (e.g. scrypt). This (hard forking) process would be a lot easier and quicker with POS (imagine that the community would have to find a consensus over the new algorithm and then implement and test it) because in any POS system you could simply take the same code but exclude the attack's stake.

I agree that delegates with known identities would make the above listed attack very difficult to accomplish. But the anonymous nature of delegates was one of the selling point of DPoS and for good reason. Using real identities with DPoS delegates introduces a whole new set of weaknesses.
I would agree that security would be enhances if governments would not forbid to be a delegate. We know governments can forbid all kinds of things for all kinds of reasons but delegates are only doing a time stamping service like miners in POW do so I don't see an objective reason.

2) Kidnapping and ransoms
3) Makes it easier for Hackers to infiltrate their wallet/node( with anonymous delegates, hackers have to spread their resources and make probabilistic attacks instead of targeted ones)
That applies to mining pools as well. And like I said above delegates have as much power as mining pools and both can be "voted out" of their 51% control.

Your insurance scheme is also outside the discussion as any currency can implement this insurance plan. We are discussing security to dissuade or prevent an attack in the first place and insurance doesn't do this.
Agreed, except for the different possibilities to finance such a fund like described in my initial post.

delulo

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 08:06:13 PM

Keep in mind that  large miners need to recoup large costs. As they sell newly minted coins, that increases distribution.
Money will never be "fair" in ways that makes everyone happy. If your argument for using PoS coins that it is a more fair way of distributing wealth, I guarantee you that you will be sadly disappointed if PoS ever goes "mainstream"
That is not my argument at all. I just relied to the poster who said that he would not use POS for Bitcoin because POS did not solve the "initial distribution problem".

That
By minting new coins, you force the early adopters to transfer wealth to the new miners. These centralized miner will then sell the coin to new users.
actually is a nice angle from which I didn't see it yet. But wouldn't justify 10% inflation per year to me as a bitcoinholder.
inBitweTrust

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 08:34:31 PM

What is an internal attack vs. an external attack?

Not much of a difference...

Internal attack = existing large stake holders or group of large stake holders who turn on BtSX
External Attack = recent or new stakeholder who seeks to profit from hacking DPoS or attack it

That means that stakeholders trust your delegates more than the majority of those than are now in place!

Yes, its a PR campaign. You would slander existing delegates and offer irresistible promises as new delegates.

Also there are hangouts where the delegates speak today which doesn't reveal their identity but would completely prevent your attack alone unless you hire more than 52 people that do that for half a year.

How do the existing delegates prevent an attack of this nature with their hangout? You wouldn't need to hire 52 people , just a few controlling a thousand personalities and profiles.

If you sold your stake which voted for your delegates other's now have the voting power. Your delegates would have to have a decent advantage in approval otherwise they get voted out right away when those you sell your stake to make other choices than to vote for all your delegates.

There is plenty of time to string along campaign promises while the stake is sold and than attack all before the next election. Why are you assuming these stakeholders will not vote for one of my other faux candidates as well or re vote for an existing candidate?

But let's still assume the worst case occurs, then those delegates have about the same possibilities to pull off a 51% attack as mining pools have today. Miners can go to another pool or mine alone if they realize that their current pool is harming the network. Likewise delegates can get voted out so the attacker would loos his 51% of delegates as quickly as harmful mining pools.

Yes, I have been acknowledging the weaknesses of pool consolidation in PoW. My suggestion is to make changes to encourage decentralization rather than replacing one weakness for another.

So there is not much difference except for the energy costs of mining which have to be paid by someone and the fact that no bitcoinholder decides which mining pool secures their chain.  The cost difference has a big impact: 'block production power' in POW costs a ton of money but close to nothing in DPOS.

Energy costs and asic costs actually. Why do you discount this as a security measure? You are simultaneously talking about the extreme wastes in asic and electrical costs and than when it comes to security suggest "there is not much difference " when calculating the incentives of an attacker. You can't have it both ways. With a decentralized p2p PoW mining arrangement an attack would be very difficult. You keep arguing against Bitcoin if the status quo remains of centralized pools which I am arguing along with you that this needs to change.

The result is that the hash rate would probably drop so that is gets cheap (and even cheaper since Sha256 hashing lets allows you to attack other POW networks as well) to buy or rent 51% of the hashing power.

You are ignoring increases in efficiency due to Moores law and better ASIC technologies. Hash rate may decrease in growth in the future but is unlikely to ever drop.

This relates to the difference in hard forking as a solution to reverse attacks: If someone has 51% of the global Bitcoin (and Bitcoin clones) specific hashing power than a hard fork would require implementing a new proof of work (e.g. scrypt). This (hard forking) process would be a lot easier and quicker with POS (imagine that the community would have to find a consensus over the new algorithm and then implement and test it) because in any POS system you could simply take the same code but exclude the attack's stake.

You keep mentioning the hard fork solution to rollback an attack on the DPoS blockchain as a good thing. I don't want rollbacks to be easy, they shouldn't happen at all. The ease this can happen with DPoS is a sever weakness, not strength. Why again did the Nxt community pay off the hackers who stole all the coins from BTER rather than perform a rollback?

We know governments can forbid all kinds of things for all kinds of reasons but delegates are only doing a time stamping service like miners in POW do so I don't see an objective reason.

How about the example I have mentioned several times? Government regulators demand delegates prevent certain transactions occurring due to terrorists, illegal actions like drugs, or "think of the children" .... blacklisting. What happens to delegates who don't follow the regulations?

That applies to mining pools as well. And like I said above delegates have as much power as mining pools and both can be "voted out" of their 51% control.

Yes, I am in agreement.... I want to encourage p2p mining. This can be accomplished many ways within bitcoin without DPoS or PoS.

inBitweTrust

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 01:49:09 AM

bitshares x will not beat beat bitcoin simply because the distribution of its coins are concentrated to a small group of early adopters. There needs to be a distribution mechanism that is more fair than bitcoin + more secure for a cryptocurrency to have a chance at beating bitcoin. Maybe one of the bit-share assets like bitUSD takes off, it may end up beating bitcoin but we will see.

The dilemma any ALT faces is that they better hope their coin doesn't beat Bitcoin because doing so will undermine their own currency in relation to Fiat.

Bitcoin has the most market support, the most users, the most developers, the most investors, the most hardware, the most wallets, the most apps, and about 8 times greater than all the other crypto currencies combined in market share.

If Bitcoin fails than it will cast a shadow of doubt within all much , much weaker currencies long term viability as a store of value. People will be unlikely to make investments if any of these digital currencies could become obsolete because of a new feature or a passing meme.

The protocol and security design wouldn't save the image either because technically Bitcoin could be converted to PoS, DPoS or a PoS/PoW hybrid and if it doesn't than people would equally distrust the viability of BTSX because who knows, perhaps a new coin that is a vDPoS/PoR would be superior in the future.

The best an ALT should and can hope for is being adopted as a sidechain/treechain or maintaining a unique quality with a distant 2 or 3rd place in marketshare.

This is the reason why many BTSX and other alt proponents haven't sold all their Bitcoins despite what they feel about Bitcoin or PoW and many within this thread are pushing for changes within BTC instead of simply encouraging others to sell their BTC and buy their coin.

Not recognizing this and allowing Bitcoin to die will paint a bleak dystopian future with a digital fiat coin being adopted instead.

inBitweTrust

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 02:09:21 AM
Last edit: September 28, 2014, 02:29:56 AM by inBitweTrust

I don't agree with this, are you saying bitshares is a scam then?

It has nothing to do with BTSX being a scam or not but a test of the overall strength of a coin because the amount of adopters and a wide distribution is important for its security and market usefulness.

Bitcoin is similar to USDs distribution percentages or if you assume that Satoshi's unmoved coins won't be spent a Little bit better in wealth distribution amongst its userbase. BTSX has a much more balanced distribution rate of wealth amongst its adopters than Nxt and probably more dispersed than even Bitcoin.

The problem with BTSX is that their are so few used at the moment. My estimates are a mere 7-8 users total. This means that those early investors who bought into Bitshares will likely remain large stakeholders in the future as they are unlikely to sell off much of their assets so early in the game and holding onto their assets gives them special privileges that you don't get with BTC. Overtime you would expect a very sharp divide between the haves and have not with BTSX in the future.

Someone could use a non-volatile asset like bitUSD and have no idea they are using a cryptocurrency, (think of a bitUSD debit card or something). This would bring the price of bitshares up without needing any consumer/investor confidence in cryptocurrencies.

The same could be said about any alt if the alts blockchain is used instead of the currency directly. I wasn't refering to users but to investors and developers and hardware manufactures(point of sale devices, hardware wallets, ect...) . These are the companies that have to think long term , users can happily use digital currencies in the short term just like any other gaming digital currency(WOW gold, ect) . When a company has to invest millions of dollars for a potential 10 - 20 year pay off(minimum ) it is critically important that they are bullish longterm and some new coin cannot dissolve their investment overnight. While the protocols maybe open source and some of the API's there is a ton of developer knowledge, custom code protected by IP, custom hardware protected by patents, and marketing investment into Bitcoin that would all be worthless if Bitcoin died and the same could also be assumed if BTSX took over.

There already are pundits and economists who discount Bitcoin for the explicit reason that it could become the next Napster or Myspace when another coin takes over. (I argue BTC is more akin to IPv4 or HTML) They are using this argument suggesting that cryptocurrencies in general have nothing backing them and we must rely upon Fiat as only a state token backed by "oil, guns and the taxes from the future unborn" give validity to a currency. If BTC dies than this is giving strong evidence to support their argument.

devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 11:04:31 AM

Nxt disallows block-chain re-organisations past 720 blocks, so you have to mount your attack within 12 hours of selling your coins. Selling 51% of NXT, or even 20% of NXT, within a 12-hour window would crash the price. You'd lose a fortune. This is not a cheap attack.

One could always negotiate a wholesale price with multiple private parties to sell off the Nxt without touching any exchange and crashing the market. These private parties would be ignorant to the fact that this offer was being made to many other members because the purchasing party would want to keep secret the wholesale purchase as to not draw attention to a possible large sale and thus instigators other traders to sell as well before they have a chance to do so.

In such scenario the outside attacker would have to take a minor loss but not anywhere near as much as you suggest.

Well, they better hurry up to attack then, because once Transparent Forging in NXT is activated before the end of 2014, the window to attack will be as short as 10 minutes (10 blocks) and the stake they will need to attack will be over 90% Smiley
inBitweTrust

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 12:39:06 PM
Last edit: September 28, 2014, 12:50:51 PM by inBitweTrust

Well, they better hurry up to attack then, because once Transparent Forging in NXT is activated before the end of 2014, the window to attack will be as short as 10 minutes (10 blocks) and the stake they will need to attack will be over 90% Smiley

Transparent forging is still in development and the details have not been fleshed out so your comment is hypothetical(We are still waiting on a whitepaper) but I would like you to answer some severe security weaknesses within this proposal outlined below-

Quote from:  Come-from-Beyond
"Transparent Forging" allow each user's client to automatically determine who will generate the next block, so that they can then send their transactions to that node. This will also allow additional fees to be realized for immediate/priority transactions.

An equally important feature of Transparent Forging is an outstanding security feature of the protocol to temporarily reduce to zero the forging power of accounts who should generate the next block but don't. This transparent forging feature will prevent against even a 90% majority owner of all NXT branching out and forcing a fork. So if an account has 90% of all Nxt and doesn't generate a block when scheduled, the system will reduce its mining power to zero temporarily to prevent a bad fork from being forced.

You don't see the glaring problem with this?

devphp

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 12:46:28 PM

Transparent forging is still in development and the details have not been fleshed out so your comment is hypothetical(We are still waiting on a whitepaper) but I would like you to answer some severe security weaknesses within this proposal outlined below-

Quote from:  Come-from-Beyond
"Transparent Forging" allow each user's client to automatically determine who will generate the next block, so that they can then send their transactions to that node. This will also allow additional fees to be realized for immediate/priority transactions.

An equally important feature of Transparent Forging is an outstanding security feature of the protocol to temporarily reduce to zero the forging power of accounts who should generate the next block but don't. This transparent forging feature will prevent against even a 90% majority owner of all NXT branching out and forcing a fork. So if an account has 90% of all Nxt and doesn't generate a block when scheduled, the system will reduce its mining power to zero temporarily to prevent a bad fork from being forced.

You don't see the glaring problem with this?

There are minor issues that I see, like someone can try to ddos the staker but nothing that could be a serious problem in practise with pre-defined forgers in queue. But you can outline possible attack vectors here or on nxtforum.org. I am sure Come-from-Beyond will post a detailed answer to your concerns.
devphp

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 12:52:05 PM

There is a whitepaper, if you check my posts history, I posted the link to NXT whitepaper yesterday. But it's far from complete, NXT is in permanent development mode and will probably be like that for a year or longer. Too many features are scheduled to be implemented.
inBitweTrust

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 12:52:42 PM
Last edit: September 28, 2014, 01:43:40 PM by inBitweTrust

There are minor issues that I see, like someone can try to ddos the staker but nothing that could be a serious problem in practise with pre-defined forgers in queue. But you can outline possible attack vectors here or on nxtforum.org. I am sure Come-from-Beyond will post a detailed answer to your concerns.

- Few issues off the top of my head:
1) multiple accounts can be controlled by the same person, transparent forging technically doesn't solve anything
2) During delays due to a bug or disagreements than a necessary hard fork will be blocked.

Even discussing this proposal is silly though as there is no whitepaper yet and a lot of the details are being discussed in secret amongst 3-4 devs.

Lets wait for a whitepaper to be proposed first , and for the sake of your community, you guys are given enough time to discuss and test this potentially dangerous change.

edit-- https://www.dropbox.com/s/cbuwrorf672c0yy/NxtWhitepaper_v122_rev4.pdf

See below what the whitepaper cites:

Quote from: NXT Whitepaper
Since this algorithm has not yet completely been implemented, and
because its implications on the Nxt network are significant, it will be outlined
in a separate paper

vipgelsi
Legendary

Activity: 1736

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 12:56:33 PM

I just wish it happened in the summer since winter is less of a problem.
devphp

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 12:56:56 PM

1) multiple accounts can be controlled by the same person, transparent forging technically doesn't solve anything
2) During delays due to a bug or disagreements than a necessary hard fork will be blocked.

The same person would have to control multiple accounts AND all those accounts would have to be selected for forging 10 blocks in a row which is prevented by the algo is my understanding of it. But you're right in that TF is still not revealed in code, we should await to discuss it till it's implemented. But even 51% and 720 blocks window is orders of magnitude more difficult to exploit than exploiting PoW.
inBitweTrust

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 01:08:48 PM
Last edit: September 28, 2014, 01:22:27 PM by inBitweTrust

The same person would have to control multiple accounts AND all those accounts would have to be selected for forging 10 blocks in a row which is prevented by the algo is my understanding of it. But you're right in that TF is still not revealed in code, we should await to discuss it till it's implemented. But even 51% and 720 blocks window is orders of magnitude more difficult to exploit than exploiting PoW.

The size of the window doesn't matter much as an attack can be coordinated to happen at a specific time.
With 8-12 people controlling most of the NXt stake it isn't orders of magnitude more secure than PoW.

Frankly, with its botched initial distribution, Nxt is doomed to never grow beyond a niche community as there is enough of a negative historical stigma to taint Nxt's history thus another DPoS or PoS has significant advantages.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: