Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:53:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: It's about time to turn off PoW mining  (Read 39781 times)
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 05:39:10 PM
Last edit: September 30, 2014, 05:59:43 PM by inBitweTrust

there is going to be another 2.0, or 3.0 that does this in a far more elegant manner than both nxt and btc, having all the apps in one download but also segmented for user friendliness. an app store, or marketplace that covers everything from apps to digital goods and the asset exchange within the client if you like, where users can enable or disable what ever apps they wish perhaps with the top 3-5 apps being default enabled. would you agree that that is the perfect solution to the "apps" issue?

The whole Bitcoin/blockchain/cryptocoin 2.0 , 3.0, ect... speak is mostly marketing talk for alts so don't pay attention to that.

Bundling apps and software is already happening in Bitcoin as you can see with various hot wallets, openbazzar, and other wallets like kryptokit.
The Future for bitcoin will have both single solution apps and bundled featured apps. I want them both and so does the market.

Bitcoin will likely be akin to HTML where many programs, aps , and blockchains are scaffolded to it including PoS and DPoS variants. If Bitcoin fails(possible) it is more likely that an inflationary government issued PoS or DPoS, or Ripple/stellar like coin takes over. I understand you won't want to hear this but I cannot see too many circumstances of Nxt growing beyond maintaining a niche market in the top 5 cyrptocoins at best. There are both network, and social reasons for this and Nxt has a very controversial IPO that will continue to always haunt it in the same way that Satoshi's 750k to 1 million coins will haunt bitcoin(Not as bad as a 2 month IPO where the date was changed however)

and you didnt answer my question...

"So again, what specifically can bitcoin accomplish that NXT cannot other than send and receive coins with out the use of a 3rd party or alternate blockchain right now?"

There are many wallets and aps that have functions other than sending and receiving Bitcoin. Kryptokit is one of them, but who cares if a feature uses multiple blockchains or there are many solutions and 3rd parties involved when they all use and depend upon the bitcoin blockchain. So your criticism of Bitcoin is that there is too much choice and you would rather have only one bitcoin client with everything included? That is a recipe for disaster and a sure way to never grow.  

A Few features that Bitcoin has over Nxt Right now (Outside of marketshare and adoption):

How about the quantity of choice in smartphone wallets, hot wallets , standalone wallets, multi-sig wallets?
How about all the API's and frameworks written?
How about all of the current and soon to be released Bitcoin Hardware wallets?
How about the Bitcoin ATM's?
How about the Bitcoin POS devices for merchants?
How about the numerous Bitcoin implementations written in many different frameworks and code?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kodtycoon
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 06:23:11 PM

there is going to be another 2.0, or 3.0 that does this in a far more elegant manner than both nxt and btc, having all the apps in one download but also segmented for user friendliness. an app store, or marketplace that covers everything from apps to digital goods and the asset exchange within the client if you like, where users can enable or disable what ever apps they wish perhaps with the top 3-5 apps being default enabled. would you agree that that is the perfect solution to the "apps" issue?

The whole Bitcoin/blockchain/cryptocoin 2.0 , 3.0, ect... speak is mostly marketing talk for alts so don't pay attention to that.

Bundling apps and software is already happening in Bitcoin as you can see with various hot wallets, openbazzar, and other wallets like kryptokit.
The Future for bitcoin will have both single solution apps and bundled featured apps. I want them both and so does the market.

Bitcoin will likely be akin to HTML where many programs, aps , and blockchains are scaffolded to it including PoS and DPoS variants. If Bitcoin fails(possible) it is more likely that an inflationary government issued PoS or DPoS, or Ripple/stellar like coin takes over. I understand you won't want to hear this but I cannot see too many circumstances of Nxt growing beyond maintaining a niche market in the top 5 cyrptocoins at best. Their are both network, and social reasons for this and Nxt has a very controversial IPO that will continue to always haunt it in the same way that Satoshi's 750k to 1 million coins will haunt bitcoin(Not as bad as a 2 month IPO where the date was changed however)

actually that isnt true by any means about 2.0/3.0 being just marketing gimmicks.. its down the architecture of the protocol. nothing to do with marketing. there is a very clear line between 1.0 and 2.0.

government issued PoS coins? seriously? haha like that would ever take off lol

"Nxt has a very controversial IPO that will continue to always haunt it in the same way that Satoshi's 750k to 1 million coins will haunt bitcoin(Not as bad as a 2 month IPO where the date was changed however)"

i actually fully agree with you on the matter posted above and its one reason why im fully invested in a coin other than nxt. believe it or not i actually hold a minimal amount of nxt. i hold most of my funds in a coin that has stakes on their asset exchange, a coin that im 100% certain is going to push nxt down a peg on coin marketcap and one you will hear about very soon. so ya im not fighting nxt's corner.. im fighting the 2.0 corner really. all the negativity aimed at nxt alone is enough to hinder further adoption. i dont like that so few have so much. but up until i found out about this other platform it was the most promising i could find.

as for the bundling apps.. would it not be better if there wasnt a need for third parties to bundle the software in multiple different clients?.. would it not be better if the software already came bundled and segmented as stock? if a new user wants to use bitcoin and also app x y z.. how do they find app x y z after downloading and installing a bitcoin client? they would have to search for the right bundled client and do a second downoad. the apps not being in the first client someone downloads is enough to put most joe soaps off. would it not be better if they could download the client of the software and find all the apps they need in the clients app store? joe soap is not going to want to go around looking for the right client that has the features they need to fit their needs. what if the next day they want to use a different feature thats not in that client? they would have to go find a different one that does have it. having to use 3rd parties to bring these features together is far from optimal.

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:15:45 AM

Bitcoin will likely be akin to HTML where many programs, aps , and blockchains are scaffolded to it including PoS and DPoS variants. If Bitcoin fails(possible) it is more likely that an inflationary government issued PoS or DPoS, or Ripple/stellar like coin takes over. I understand you won't want to hear this but I cannot see too many circumstances of Nxt growing beyond maintaining a niche market in the top 5 cyrptocoins at best. Their are both network, and social reasons for this and Nxt has a very controversial IPO that will continue to always haunt it in the same way that Satoshi's 750k to 1 million coins will haunt bitcoin(Not as bad as a 2 month IPO where the date was changed however)

actually that isnt true by any means about 2.0/3.0 being just marketing gimmicks.. its down the architecture of the protocol. nothing to do with marketing. there is a very clear line between 1.0 and 2.0.

government issued PoS coins? seriously? haha like that would ever take off lol

"Nxt has a very controversial IPO that will continue to always haunt it in the same way that Satoshi's 750k to 1 million coins will haunt bitcoin(Not as bad as a 2 month IPO where the date was changed however)"

i actually fully agree with you on the matter posted above and its one reason why im fully invested in a coin other than nxt. believe it or not i actually hold a minimal amount of nxt. i hold most of my funds in a coin that has stakes on their asset exchange, a coin that im 100% certain is going to push nxt down a peg on coin marketcap and one you will hear about very soon. so ya im not fighting nxt's corner.. im fighting the 2.0 corner really. all the negativity aimed at nxt alone is enough to hinder further adoption. i dont like that so few have so much. but up until i found out about this other platform it was the most promising i could find.

as for the bundling apps.. would it not be better if there wasnt a need for third parties to bundle the software in multiple different clients?.. would it not be better if the software already came bundled and segmented as stock? if a new user wants to use bitcoin and also app x y z.. how do they find app x y z after downloading and installing a bitcoin client? they would have to search for the right bundled client and do a second downoad. the apps not being in the first client someone downloads is enough to put most joe soaps off. would it not be better if they could download the client of the software and find all the apps they need in the clients app store? joe soap is not going to want to go around looking for the right client that has the features they need to fit their needs. what if the next day they want to use a different feature thats not in that client? they would have to go find a different one that does have it. having to use 3rd parties to bring these features together is far from optimal.
As far as the Bitcoin 2 marketing, I tried to create a separate distinction between the Bitcoin metadata derivative app development and the more ambitious Turing complete protocol development. The term is used for both which makes some conversations confusing.

Authority based coins are ideal for governments. Unfortunately, governments don't care about their economies anymore, they only care about their weapons. They still don't realize how powerful a PoW blockchain can be as a weapon, as well as an instrument of mass enlightenment.

Bitcoin is getting beyond apps. They will have ATMs and handheld devices so simple even a POTUS could use one.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
jaybny

Activity: 410
Merit: 250

Proof-of-Skill - protoblock.com

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 07:55:49 AM

has anyone looked at Bergstake or BRO or Breakout Coin? its PoS without checkpoints

Protoblock turns knowledge of American football into Fantasybit coin, a margin token used to monetize leveraged skill.

https://twitter.com/jaybny/status/1022596877332762624
ofortuna

Activity: 252

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 07:59:00 AM

Nxt and Peercoin have their issues.. check out the BRO coin solution and tell me if it's the holy grail.. or not...

We can save enough energy to power Ireland

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
████BREAKOUT STAKEWEBSITEMULTICURRENCY SMART CONTRACTS + SIDECHAINS ANN ★  COINSALE July 10 – July 24  ████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 07:59:17 AM

has anyone looked at Bergstake or BRO or Breakout Coin? its PoS without checkpoints

Do you have a link to the Bergstake white paper?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
jaybny

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 08:05:33 AM

http://satoshifantasy.com/bergstake-2/

http://satoshifantasy.com/media/satoshifantasy.pdf

Protoblock turns knowledge of American football into Fantasybit coin, a margin token used to monetize leveraged skill.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 08:22:42 AM

Ok, this isn't really a revolutionary idea as a way to remove the need for historical checkpoints.Bitcoin will be removing the need for checkpoints with the headers-first sync in the next version.

jaybny

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 08:27:58 AM

Ok, this isn't really a revolutionary idea as a way to remove the need for historical checkpoints.Bitcoin will be removing the need for checkpoints with the headers-first sync in the next version.

its a replacement for 100% pre-mined, or developer checkpoint centralized PoS blockchains.

fyi: PoS coins are now dependent on checkpoints.. unlike Bitcoin.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 08:39:24 AM

its a replacement for 100% pre-mined, or developer checkpoint centralized PoS blockchains.

The checkpoints are solving two different issues with PoW vs. PoS. In PoW it prevents faster hashing from rebuilding lower difficulty chains. In PoS they are the duct tape holding everything together which works fine if there is one central major stakeholder. I'm just not sure that Bergstake isn't even more elitist than DPoS.

jaybny

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 08:42:42 AM

The checkpoints are solving two different issues with PoW vs. PoS. In PoW it prevents faster hashing from rebuilding lower difficulty chains. In PoS they are the duct tape holding everything together which works fine if there is one central major stakeholder. I'm just not sure that Bergstake isn't even more elitist than DPoS.

what about proof-of-skill?

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 08:51:45 AM

Proof of Skill as I understand is re-signing old blocks. I don't see how that proves anything. It gives extra permanent stake for miners that develop faster technology mining. It can easily be abused if the developers already have GPU and ASIC mining available and only release CPU mining as open source.

jaybny

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 09:01:41 AM

Proof of Skill as I understand is re-signing old blocks. I don't see how that proves anything. It gives extra permanent stake for miners that develop faster technology mining. It can easily be abused if the developers already have GPU and ASIC mining available and only release CPU mining as open source.

no, there is no mining in Satoshi Fantasy , proof-of-skill . its Bergstake earned via fantasy football skills vs via mining in Breakout coin.

BRO uses CryptoNote so there already is GPU at launch 

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 09:11:21 AM

no, there is no mining in Satoshi Fantasy , proof-of-skill . its Bergstake earned via fantasy football skills vs via mining in Breakout coin.

A coin that is also a game. Now that is interesting. Would it work with Magic the Gathering too?

jaybny

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 09:49:48 AM

A coin that is also a game. Now that is interesting. Would it work with Magic the Gathering too?
gox! lol.

i dont know.. what are the rules?

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 10:02:11 AM

gox! lol.

Never played it. I will be curious about any stake based coin game. I've been working on one as well.

BreakoutCoin

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 03:51:41 PM

gox! lol.

Never played it. I will be curious about any stake based coin game. I've been working on one as well.

lets hear

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
████BREAKOUT COINWEBSITEMULTICURRENCY SMART CONTRACTS + SIDECHAINS ANN ★  COINSALE June 13 – July 7  ████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 05:36:21 PM

gox! lol.

lets hear
Let's just say it's diabolical.

Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 02:57:47 PM

Nxt doesn't use checkpoints. Please don't talk about PoS coins as if they were all the same. They use different algorithms.

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
delulo

Activity: 441

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 08:03:14 PM

Nxt doesn't use checkpoints. Please don't talk about PoS coins as if they were all the same. They use different algorithms.
about checkpoints and NAS https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6638.0
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: