Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 11:38:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Money was stolen out of my localbitcoins account  (Read 2423 times)
Magicman420 (OP)

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 09:55:55 PM

I have never been phished in 2 years in the darknet then today I buy . 8 (my paycheck this week) I,ride home from the bank and the money is gone.. I log out then back in and it says only my ip was last login(so no one else) ... Something is up I don't have a,keylogger,on my computer but something is up this person (maybe lbc employee) is stealing like crazy. I just don't get it.

SCAMMER ADDY :1DzPa5AdWk1yukdTbCnVMA76tHsDDdb2oe

Anyone wanna tell me how this could happen I'm in total devastation and asked for money in another forum and got laughed at..  Don't think is a laughing matter I'm broke Sad but I'm not gonna drop a addy just hope for some good karma see if I can get some peanut butter and jelly from the food bank for this week lol..was gonna turn that 400 into,1,000 you,know how it works Wink
Xiaoxiao
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

The Golden Rule Rules

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 09:58:11 PM

Do you have 2FA activated?
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 10:05:44 PM

I have never been phished in 2 years in the darknet then today I buy . 8 (my paycheck this week) I,ride home from the bank and the money is gone.. I log out then back in and it says only my ip was last login(so no one else) ... Something is up I don't have a,keylogger,on my computer but something is up this person (maybe lbc employee) is stealing like crazy. I just don't get it.

Anyone wanna tell me how this could happen I'm in total devastation and asked for money in another forum and got laughed at..  Don't think is a laughing matter I'm broke Sad but I'm not gonna drop a addy just hope for some good karma see if I can get some peanut butter and jelly from the food bank for this week lol..was gonna turn that 400 into,1,000 you,know how it works Wink

Its good if u please post the Tx hash of the transaction by which your fund was stolen.

Magicman420 (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 12:08:45 AM

Its good if u please post the Tx hash of the transaction by which your fund was stolen.

09/05/2014 10:49         0.80908    Sent to 1DzPa5AdWk1yukdTbCnVMA76tHsDDdb2oe
txid 499dc004aead4f1aa2bad8b998f5bb58f980f8ebbaa37aeec962e408608feb79
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3235

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 12:18:37 AM
Last edit: September 06, 2014, 12:30:00 AM by odolvlobo

it is very possible that your bitcoins were stolen because you logged into a fake localbitcoins site by accident and the site recorded your name and password.

The scammers pay for an ad on google and when people type "localbitcoins" into google, the fake site is listed first because it is a paid ad. People click on the ad and log in because it looks just like the real site.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Magicman420 (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 12:21:03 AM

it is very likely that your bitcoins were stolen because you logged into a fake localbitcoins site by accident and the site recorded your name and password.

Scammers pay for ads on google and when people type "localbitcoins" into google, the fake site is listed first because it is a paid ad. People click on the ad and log in because it looks just like the real site.

Lol really bro I've made 50 purchases on localbitcoins.. It was someone I used before got he coins then 10 minutes later they were withdrawn no password or anything  weirdest thing ever
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 04:41:25 AM

it is very likely that your bitcoins were stolen because you logged into a fake localbitcoins site by accident and the site recorded your name and password.

Scammers pay for ads on google and when people type "localbitcoins" into google, the fake site is listed first because it is a paid ad. People click on the ad and log in because it looks just like the real site.

Lol really bro I've made 50 purchases on localbitcoins.. It was someone I used before got he coins then 10 minutes later they were withdrawn no password or anything  weirdest thing ever
I don't understand exactly what happened. You said that you purchased .8 BTC from someone on LBC, was it a face to face trade? If so then the seller would have had to release escrow for the bitcoin to be available in your account. You seem to imply that someone somehow withdrew bitcoin from your account. I do not see what the person you bought from has to do with anything if this was the case. I also do not see how you know the coins were withdrawn with no password.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 08:27:03 AM

install firewall, antivirus and antimaleware. update all. scan.

deinstall all shitty mining progs or free bitcoin generators.

Magicman420 (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 07:11:26 PM

I don't understand exactly what happened. You said that you purchased .8 BTC from someone on LBC, was it a face to face trade? If so then the seller would have had to release escrow for the bitcoin to be available in your account. You seem to imply that someone somehow withdrew bitcoin from your account. I do not see what the person you bought from has to do with anything if this was the case. I also do not see how you know the coins were withdrawn with no password.

No it wasn't the seller.. I bought the coins then 10 minutes later someone withdrew them.. Never hit a fishing link never used same password or name on any site.. I'm so confused how I got hacked
dankkk

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 08:02:39 PM

No it wasn't the seller.. I bought the coins then 10 minutes later someone withdrew them.. Never hit a fishing link never used same password or name on any site.. I'm so confused how I got hacked
How do you know you never clicked on a phishing link? You could have easily clicked on a link that would capture your login information, forward it to LBC and log you in if the credentials were correct. This would steal your credentials while hiding the fact that they were stolen from you.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 08:08:51 PM

well ... since february 2014, i have to WITHDRAWN when to many BTC is stored to VIRTUAL wallet.
MightyBTC

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 08:16:04 PM

While you are in some other mood you don't know you are being phissed.Sorry to hear your loss
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 09:15:16 PM
Last edit: September 07, 2014, 04:37:06 AM by haploid23

You might have clicked on a phishing link a while back and the scammer just waits dormant until you have a large transaction. Why didn't you activate 2FA? It would prevent this kind of stuff. You can even give out your user name and PW, but no one will be able to withdraw unless they have your personal device.

wasserman99

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 10:22:08 PM

You might have clicked on a phising link a while back and the scammer just waits dormant until you have a large transaction. Why didn't you activate 2FA? It would prevent this kind of stuff. You can even give out your user name and PW, but no one will be able to withdraw unless they have your personal device.
2FA does not work quite that well (at least not all the time). There are always potential ways around 2FA on websites. I would consider it to be reckless if someone is careless about their password simply because 2FA is enabled. 2FA should only be an additional security method, not the only security measure.

Xiaoxiao
Legendary

Activity: 1274

The Golden Rule Rules

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 10:23:47 PM

You might have clicked on a phising link a while back and the scammer just waits dormant until you have a large transaction. Why didn't you activate 2FA? It would prevent this kind of stuff. You can even give out your user name and PW, but no one will be able to withdraw unless they have your personal device.
2FA does not work quite that well (at least not all the time). There are always potential ways around 2FA on websites. I would consider it to be reckless if someone is careless about their password simply because 2FA is enabled. 2FA should only be an additional security method, not the only security measure.

What way does one get around 2FA?  Could someone brute force 2FA such as google AUTH ?
itsAj

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 03:07:16 AM

What way does one get around 2FA?  Could someone brute force 2FA such as google AUTH ?
Various sites have had ways to get around to needing to input the 2FA code, or being asked for the 2FA code. I vaguely remember an example of a website allowing a user with 2FA enabled for someone to login via the API with just the username and password.

In theory it would also be possible to have 2FA disabled if you were to contact customer service and claim you are having difficulty receiving text messages with your 2FA device (social engineering).
abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 04:02:40 AM

Painful to hear.  However, it's somewhat of low price tuition for higher learning. I recommend enabled in the security settings:

(1) 2FA + (2) Login guard which requires additional authentication for new browser detection.

If the above two are enabled, it would be very very very difficult to steal coins from your wallet.
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2014, 04:40:54 AM

Yes but I don't think this applies to LBC, which is the case with OP. You need 2FA to log in, withdraw coins, or release coins from escrow. Basically anything that involves movement of coins needs 2FA. To disable the 2FA, you'd have to have access to it in the first place.

MineForeman.com
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2014, 05:13:29 AM

Two Factor Authentication (2FA) is the best thing since sliced bread.  It almost makes choosing a password trivial, the additional security that you gain almost makes passwords obsolete.

Neil

Bitcoin News http://mineforeman.com/ || MinePeon - Bitcoin mining on the Raspberry PI http://mineforeman.com/minepeon/ || MinePeon Wiki http://minepeon.com/ || MinePeon Forums http://minepeon.com/forums/
Envrin

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 05:16:22 AM

And when you contacted LBC customer support, they said.... Huh?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: