Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:16:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are bitcoins still safe even on computers disconnected from the Internet?  (Read 2087 times)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 07:25:44 PM

Your response ignores the fact that if your credit card information is stolen and used without your permission then you are protected as a consumer, while if your private key is stolen then your bitcoin is essentially gone. This prevents people from being incentived to taking great measures to protect their credit card information, as the worse case scenario is they suffer a minor inconvenience while waiting for a replacement card while someone who has bitcoin has a vested interest in keeping their private keys safe (as asked about by the OP) because if they are compromised then you are essentially out of luck.

my responses do not ignore it at all. again
THE TECHNOLOGY!! does not prevent data loss via NSA spies.

the whole reimbursement and convenience aspect is nothing to do with security or technoogy *think outside the box please*

the reimbursement and convenience is an after the fact effort. which is done by businesses. and as such bitstampt or coinbase COULD add this.

again the insurance and reimbursment is something BUSINESSES should think about as it has nothing to do with the bitcoin-core team,
again the insurance and reimbursment is something related to human social preferences, not something to do with financial security based on hacking.

paypal and credit cards, even with pin numbers and cvs numbers, even with asking for names and addresses still wont stop NSA hacks.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sifter

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

CoinBooster Rep

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 07:27:21 PM

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/national/nsa-hacked-100-000-computers-radio-signals-article-1.1580254

This is fairly old news, and I'm also not familiar with what kind of threat this might pose.  Hopefully someone more knowledgable can share their input.

Since it's now no secret that the NSA has the capacity to hack into computers via radio waves (though apparently only on computers constructed with the proper hardware), what does this mean for things like Armory's offline transactions?  Do you believe that this poses a viable threat, particularly if companies increasingly integrate backdoor radio transceivers into household computers and mobile devices?

Moreover, has this issue been considered by the core devs?

I really hope not, but if your hardware is touched your probably in deep sh1t.

CoinBooster.io - Earn up to 67mil satoshi per day. Claim every 5 minutes. NO POP UPS! HIGH ROI
Bitcointalk Official Thread
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 10:47:41 PM

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/national/nsa-hacked-100-000-computers-radio-signals-article-1.1580254

This is fairly old news, and I'm also not familiar with what kind of threat this might pose.  Hopefully someone more knowledgable can share their input.

Since it's now no secret that the NSA has the capacity to hack into computers via radio waves (though apparently only on computers constructed with the proper hardware), what does this mean for things like Armory's offline transactions?  Do you believe that this poses a viable threat, particularly if companies increasingly integrate backdoor radio transceivers into household computers and mobile devices?

I don't think it would be an issue. The possibility of this happening is still only theoretical and has not been proven. There are also ways to shield your computer from radio waves relatively  easily.

Also if you have your offline wallet secured with a sufficiently strong password this will not be as much as an issue because even if they got the wallet file they would need to crack your password in order to do anything with it.

the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 10:54:06 PM

This is fairly old news, and I'm also not familiar with what kind of threat this might pose.  Hopefully someone more knowledgable can share their input.

Since it's now no secret that the NSA has the capacity to hack into computers via radio waves (though apparently only on computers constructed with the proper hardware), what does this mean for things like Armory's offline transactions?  Do you believe that this poses a viable threat, particularly if companies increasingly integrate backdoor radio transceivers into household computers and mobile devices?

I don't think it would be an issue. The possibility of this happening is still only theoretical and has not been proven. There are also ways to shield your computer from radio waves relatively  easily.

Also if you have your offline wallet secured with a sufficiently strong password this will not be as much as an issue because even if they got the wallet file they would need to crack your password in order to do anything with it.

Referring to bolded section, I considered this but quickly dismissed it as it would certainly not be an issue to upload a keylogger and wait.
ForgottenPassword

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 01:06:16 AM
Last edit: September 07, 2014, 01:17:43 AM by ForgottenPassword

Referring to bolded section, I considered this but quickly dismissed it as it would certainly not be an issue to upload a keylogger and wait.

Why would an attacker even need to upload one? hardware keyloggers are really cheap:
https://www.keelog.com/

There is no question about it, if someone can modify your hardware they can easily steal your data, there are plenty of ways to do this kind of thing. How about a Raspberry Pi with a hardware keylogger connected to your keyboard, a SATA interface connected to your drive and a 3G modem to send back the data, all of that is dirt cheap and freely available. <$100 and you can exfiltrate data from an airgapped machine pretty easily. You could probably make it smaller by using a modified android phone instead for example.

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

Tip Address: 13Lwo1hK5smoBpFWxmqeKSL52EvN8U7asX
itsAj

Activity: 588

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 02:20:29 AM

The paranoid would not use a hardware keyboard to enter their password, but would rather use a keyboard that allows you to click on the various letters on a screen (preferably with the letters in some random order) to enter your password.
sifter

Activity: 574

CoinBooster Rep

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 07:03:11 AM

The paranoid would not use a hardware keyboard to enter their password, but would rather use a keyboard that allows you to click on the various letters on a screen (preferably with the letters in some random order) to enter your password.
[/quote
If this is the case,  use the ease of access keyboard not a third party software. (assuming that you are using Windows)

CoinBooster.io - Earn up to 67mil satoshi per day. Claim every 5 minutes. NO POP UPS! HIGH ROI
Bitcointalk Official Thread
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 07:38:34 AM

blah blah blah boring topic.

the real question is

Is using paypal safe on computers connected from the Internet?
Is using debit/credit cards safe on computers connected from the Internet?

Yeah with the reversal options i never worry about my paypal tbh
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2014, 03:17:03 PM

Why would an attacker even need to upload one? hardware keyloggers are really cheap:
https://www.keelog.com/

There is no question about it, if someone can modify your hardware they can easily steal your data, there are plenty of ways to do this kind of thing. How about a Raspberry Pi with a hardware keylogger connected to your keyboard, a SATA interface connected to your drive and a 3G modem to send back the data, all of that is dirt cheap and freely available. <$100 and you can exfiltrate data from an airgapped machine pretty easily. You could probably make it smaller by using a modified android phone instead for example.
You would need physical access for this to be possible. It should also be somewhat obvious if there is a raspberry PI near your cold storage computer that should not be there. The article in the OP is talking about the NSA using radio waves to get your cold storage wallet file, if they had physical access then they might as well make a physical copy of the hard drive and would be redundant to use this technology.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
cambda

Activity: 759
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 03:39:44 PM

yes since the 1960's you should always have assumed telephone and mobile communication devices were being listened into. but sinc 2000 (well atleast publicly known 2008) you have to also assume any device mobile or desktop, router or houselight may contain this chip.

I dont believe all devices are infiltrated with some NSA chip, only if your suspected and order something you receive modified device, thats almost certain.
itsAj

Activity: 588

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 04:46:46 PM

If this is the case,  use the ease of access keyboard not a third party software. (assuming that you are using Windows)
Even a third party software keyboard would likely provide sufficient protection because the computer would not be exposed to the internet.

Also now that I think about it a little bit, I would question the legal standing for the NSA to be able to remotely search a person's computer like this.
ariyaromadhona

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 07:03:34 PM

i think we dont talk about safe oor unsafe .. i think everythink has a risk ..
somebody can steal your computers and find your wallet pasword and get your BTC .. etc.
anythink can happend ,
somebody already talk about it a while ago .. he ask 'Do you like Bitcoin because it concept or just going to be rich? "
if you love it concept i think you'll enjoy it , and if you are like to be rich .. you have to take the risk Smiley
cameltoe

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 07:07:42 PM

Nothing is 100% safe I tell ya
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 08:12:35 PM

Nothing is 100% safe I tell ya

Cameltoe is always right. 

dankkk

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 08:59:28 PM

How would they upload a key-logger if the computer is disconnected from the internet? I think they would need to have physical access in order to accomplish this.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: