Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:06:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Smartphones & Bitcoin  (Read 6066 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 01:54:15 PM

At the onset, this thread has two purposes: Which smartphone should I get and to discuss various models and best uses in relation to Bitcoin, of which may become an ongoing dialog.

In the next few days, I'll be getting a smartphone, for I'll need it to better demonstrate Bitcoin to potential new users. Early last year, I did have the new Android HTC and Verizon, but discontinued the service due to not being able to use it in the middle of nowhere where the barns were located. I calculated that I lost tens of thousands of dollars due to lost sales those close to three weeks. It was even a nightmare to revert my primary number back to my Walmart Tracfone. I will keep the Tracfone, for it's the one that works most anywhere, and use the smartphone for the populated areas. Pretty smart of me, eh? But I digress.

That said, which smartphone should I consider, coupled with which carrier? I won't be streaming movies or watching many videos on the phone, but will probably do a lot of web surfing. That should be the extent of my bandwidth usage. Moreover, the device will be used and shown to others for Bitcoin demonstrations.

Which smartphone do you use and with which carrier? Are better phones and services coming out over the horizon, and how easy is it to change out one phone to another (with the same carrier, provided I'm not locked in a contract) when a better phone does hit the market?

Thank you, in advance.

~Bruno~

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 02:01:56 PM

Get a Samsung Galaxy S2
4.27'' AMOLED display, Android 4, Gorilla Glass etcetc... I love to see a iphone with his "retina display" (wich is just a norma lcd display) pale when compared to the GS2 AMOLED

Better phones coming out? Yes, the Galaxy S3 in some months.

P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 02:13:49 PM

There are always better phones on the horizon, but frankly, Im still using my old LG P-500 upgraded to Android 2.3 and while it doesnt feel super fast while browsing, it actually does all I need, and then some. HIgher res screen would be nice, but I dont like carrying enormous bricks around either.

For the bitcoin apps out there, just about any android (2.3+) phone on the market would be fine, if not overkill.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 02:14:54 PM

Get a Samsung Galaxy S2
4.27'' AMOLED display, Android 4, Gorilla Glass etcetc... I love to see a iphone with his "retina display" (wich is just a norma lcd display) pale when compared to the GS2 AMOLED

+1

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 02:32:43 PM

Get a Samsung Galaxy S2

Very nice suggestion, Gabi. I just viewed this video: Samsung Galaxy S2 vs HTC Sensation vs iPhone 4 Screen.

I look forward to reading other suggestion on phones (which I see are coming in) as well as comments of the various carriers.

~Bruno~
vampire

Activity: 574

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 02:43:00 PM

IPhone 4 battery > Android. I charge my phone may be once every 2 days... And the size is perfect. I don't need larger phones.
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:02:36 PM

I use both iPhone and Android, because I have been developing for both platforms.

I would say that android devices actually suck more from user perspective. The software is often buggy, and the device hardware seems cheap. However it is more open than iPhone, and you have more bitcoin software etc.

iPhone offers superior user experience IMHO, however it is more closed platform.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:12:02 PM

Please specify "android devices"

Since you are speaking about iphone, i expect that the android device is the Galaxy S2 or an equivalent. And sorry but the GS2 is better than the iphone

Sure, there are some 200$ android devices that sucks, it's true, but ehi they are cheap. You can't compare a 600$ iphone with a 200$ android.

ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 03:16:13 PM

I have a samsung galaxy S2.
it works great Smiley

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
istar

Activity: 523

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:16:45 PM

I second that.

Get the Samsung Galaxy S2.

Yesterday a friend got the Sony Xperia so I compared the phones for quite some time.
The Sony have a higher screen resolution, a little faster processor etc.
(But you wont notice the difference.)

The Sony Xperia screen lacks the oumph in colors. They look bland.
When surfing the higher screen resolution did not make it easier to read text, maybe even harder.

It got less battery time and the interface although good, is not as good.
Though its still a topnotch phone.

It has slightly better camera that can be accessed with a button, without having to unlock the phone and it can be connected with Hdmi straight to a TV, thats nice.

Go with any of those.

Do not get Iphone. They are made of glass.

But if you got big pockets, and I don´t mean deep, I mean big as in really big.
Get the Samsung Note. Its quite big which makes it great for surfing, really good batterytime etc.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 03:18:38 PM

I have a samsung galaxy S2.
it works great Smiley

oh, and did I mention that I bought it with bitcoins, using spendbitcoin.com Smiley

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:32:25 PM

I would say that android devices actually suck more from user perspective. The software is often buggy, and the device hardware seems cheap. However it is more open than iPhone, and you have more bitcoin software etc.

While you're right in general, the average quality of software is lower.  It's not true that all software for android is low quality.  It's simply that being an open market allows the crap to get through too.

With android you have to be willing to try a few apps to find the best one; or read some reviews, or go off recommendations.  If you do that, android software is fine.

For me, the advantages of having a freer market (and hence am able to choose from a wide variety of, say, bitcoin software) outweighs any disadvantage from having to try three apps to find one that doesn't suck for any particular job.

Don't forget the killer feature of Android though: it doesn't require iTunes.

As to "cheap hardware"... you get what you pay for.  If you buy a £99 ZTE Blade, then you can't really complain that it's not as good as a Samsung Galaxy or a HTC One.  The advantage, again, of Android is that you get to choose hardware to suit you.  For example, I like a phone that uses a full size SIM and has the ability to use extra SD storage.  There is an Android phone for me.  There isn't an iPhone for me.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:41:44 PM

As to "cheap hardware"... you get what you pay for.  If you buy a £99 ZTE Blade, then you can't really complain that it's not as good as a Samsung Galaxy or a HTC One.

Sorry I didn't specify earlier, I have HTC Desire. It cost something like 500 euros when I bought it maybe 1,5 years ago, and I think it is crappier than iPhone 3GS.

However of course things have progressed since then. I haven't tried out Samsung Galaxy S2. However I'm pretty sceptical that it has better user experience than iPhone 4S. I have seen some, being used by my friends.

2_Thumbs_Up

Activity: 323
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 04:14:42 PM

Get a phone with NFC.
vampire

Activity: 574

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 04:42:10 PM

As to "cheap hardware"... you get what you pay for.  If you buy a £99 ZTE Blade, then you can't really complain that it's not as good as a Samsung Galaxy or a HTC One.

Sorry I didn't specify earlier, I have HTC Desire. It cost something like 500 euros when I bought it maybe 1,5 years ago, and I think it is crappier than iPhone 3GS.

However of course things have progressed since then. I haven't tried out Samsung Galaxy S2. However I'm pretty sceptical that it has better user experience than iPhone 4S. I have seen some, being used by my friends.

I had a Nexus One a while ago, it sucked compare to Iphone 4. I also had T-Mobile G1... Which was crap as well... The original Iphone was so much better.

I have a Galaxy Tab, which is unusable with 2.3 firmware - too slow.

I am pretty much done with Androids now, they were all crap and overpriced.
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 06:06:22 PM

Each to his own I suppose; I've got a HTC Desire too and find it perfectly acceptable.

My friend has a 3GS and it's definitely showing its age; whereas the Desire is as good as it ever was.  If nothing else, being able to install BitcoinSpinner et al makes it worth having an android.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 07:20:50 PM

I'm waiting on the Samsung Galaxy SIII!!!!

Mousepotato
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 07:21:00 PM

Very happy with my S2, i don't understand the comment above about iPhone having superior battery life?
I can run about 3 days on my S2 (that is if i don't watch youtube movies all day long... xD), just regular calling, messaging, looking up  some stuff on the internet.
When surfing a lot and watching videos, having all kinds of messengers logged on, facebook tumbler stuff like that, yea it's  drained in a day then.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 07:41:32 PM

Get a phone with NFC.
i'd get a Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250
-android 4
-nfc
-amoled
BusmasterDMA

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 07:50:22 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2012, 08:30:52 PM by BusmasterDMA

Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is the most polished version to date.  As far as hardware I highly recommend the Galaxy Nexus.  It is one of only a few device already running 4.0, and it will be the first device to get updates directly from Google.   Also has NFC and a large, sexy screen for showing off the Bitcoin clients.

In regard to service, I'm a little surprised Verizon doesn't offer the best signal out there where the barns are located.  Your Walmart Tracphone is likely piggybacking off Sprint's CDMA network, so you might want to consider Sprint also.

In regard to switching out devices, you can't beat AT&T and T-Mobile (both GSM networks).  Switching phones is as easy as moving your SIM card.  And all the cool European/Asian import phones tend to be GSM. (T-Mobile USA doesn't offer the Galaxy Nexus, so I bought an unlocked GSM model from the UK)

Bears.  Beets.  Battlestar Galactica.  Bitcoin.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: