Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:48:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do when MTGOX gets shut down ? Are we ready for coincalypse ?  (Read 5449 times)
ShadowOfHarbringer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 05:29:15 PM

It is quite obvious that in (maximum) few years some of world's Governments are going to start perceiving Bitcoin as a threat.

When they do, first thing they are going to try is closing the biggest players (like MtGox, which allegedly is reponsible for 80% of all BTC trade in the world) to force the currency into underground.
Taking megaupload takedown into consideration this scenario is IMHO not only probable, but inevitable.

I wonder, is the market decentralized enough currently to support transition from big players to smaller, local markets ? I mean, shouldn't we all support different (other than MtGox) services so when government shuts it down, devastating effects of the catastrophe will be smaller ?

Government will try to stop Bitcoin, that is only a matter of time. We kind of already know that is going to happen since the beginnings, so why so many people are still using MtGox ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 05:33:52 PM

Tragedy of the commons.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 05:41:21 PM

Bitcoin is used globally.  If what you fear happening occurs, it will be telegraphed well in advance.  It took FinCEN nearly 15 years since the first prepaid debit cards existed to do anything to try to curb their use as an anonymous cross-border money transfer tool (i.e., could take more than $10K out of the U.S. legally if value was on prepaid debit cards).  Nearly a decade passed after the was first identified as a very real problem to the regulators.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 05:52:57 PM

I think if/when if happens, it'll fall in the category of "really crappy and inconvenient" but not "devastating." Bitcoiners will quite quickly move to other exchanges, though things would be a bit chaotic.

More import than "only using alternatives to gox so as to reduce reliance" is to make sure your financial exposure to Gox is always minimal. This means, don't keep all your BTC (or USD) there. If/when they are raiding, accounts will be frozen. So keep your money safe with yourself., and then the risk of using Gox is largely diminished. Don't let laziness be your excuse for keeping your funds in danger.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 05:57:07 PM

More import than "only using alternatives to gox so as to reduce reliance" is to make sure your financial exposure to Gox is always minimal. This means, don't keep all your BTC (or USD) there. If/when they are raiding, accounts will be frozen. So keep your money safe with yourself., and then the risk of using Gox is largely diminished. Don't let laziness be your excuse for keeping your funds in danger.

Yup.  When "black friday" (US Justice Dept war on online poker) hit some online poker players had six figures in their online poker accounts.   Some of that is still in limbo a year later.
ShadowOfHarbringer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 06:13:53 PM

What i mean is that perhaps something more could be done than we are doing now.
We could, for starters, inform all people that there are other exchanges through this forum.

Wouldn't it be in the interest of whole Bitcoin economy to place an ad somewhere on the forum saying "Centralization of currency exchanges is bad for the Bitcoin network. If you are only using MtGox, try using some other exchanges like XXXX, YYYY, ZZZZ" ?

----
And before someone starts accusing me, I am _NOT_ working for any of the other exchanges.
(Actually i planned to start an exchange myself, but the stupid law in my country killed the idea)

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 06:34:22 PM

MtGox doesn't have 80% of of all bitcoin trade, it's of the bitcoin exchange market.

The way to prevent this becoming a single point of failure is to move to smaller exchanges so it's more distributed, this would lessen the impact of such an event.

Lot's of smaller exchanges around the world makes it harder.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
ShadowOfHarbringer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 06:36:58 PM

OK, since nobody seems to be eager to do anything at all, i will add small ad in my signature.

Its not much, but it is something.

matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 06:37:46 PM

What we need is a darknet p2p based exchange.

ShadowOfHarbringer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 06:38:51 PM

That too, but not enough.

"Normal" people will probably always view darknet as the tool of hackers/pedophiles/sociopaths/money launderers/whatever.

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 06:40:53 PM

Free markets are reactive, not proactive.
ShadowOfHarbringer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 06:43:00 PM

Is that a rule that is always fixed in space-time continuum, or perhaps people could actually change that if they started working together at least a little ?

matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 06:48:27 PM

That too, but not enough.

"Normal" people will probably always view darknet as the tool of hackers/pedophiles/sociopaths/money launderers/whatever.

OK just a p2p exchange but if I had it my way the blockchain would be within the darknet too.

N12
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 06:49:06 PM

Is that a rule that is always fixed in space-time continuum, or perhaps people could actually change that if they started working together at least a little ?
It is difficult to change human nature. Noone is really going to care until shit hits the fan since it’s not really worth worrying about it when it is so far in the future, and people believe they won’t be affected anyway.

The thing is, I and others trade on MtGox because they have the best liquidity, because I can trade large quantities without much slippage there. It’s a natural monopoly, and the MtGox market itself is so small and illiquid that it can hardly be justified retracting volume from it.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 06:52:27 PM

It is quite obvious that in (maximum) few years some of world's Governments are going to start perceiving Bitcoin as a threat.

When they do, first thing they are going to try is closing the biggest players (like MtGox, which allegedly is reponsible for 80% of all BTC trade in the world) to force the currency into underground.
Taking megaupload takedown into consideration this scenario is IMHO not only probable, but inevitable.

I wonder, is the market decentralized enough currently to support transition from big players to smaller, local markets ? I mean, shouldn't we all support different (other than MtGox) services so when government shuts it down, devastating effects of the catastrophe will be smaller ?

Government will try to stop Bitcoin, that is only a matter of time. We kind of already know that is going to happen since the beginnings, so why so many people are still using MtGox ?

I reckon MtGox won't have 80% anymore if they get shut down.

People will stop using them if they shut down, so that takes care of itself.

Government would be dumb (yeah, ok, a distinct possibility) to shut down a big thing they can control like Gox.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 06:52:50 PM

Simple:  If MtGox gets shut down, I'll start using a different exchange.  There's several others out there, so what's the problem?
ShadowOfHarbringer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 06:54:29 PM

It is difficult to change human nature. Noone is really going to care until shit hits the fan since it’s not really worth worrying about it when it is so far in the future, and people believe they won’t be affected anyway.

So i guess we will be waiting until "shit hits the fan" instead doing something (even something small ?).

But what is the harm of actually doing something instead of sitting still and waiting until that happens ?

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 06:55:49 PM

So i guess we will be waiting until "shit hits the fan" instead doing something (even something small ?).

But what is the harm of actually doing something instead of sitting still and waiting until that happens ?
What is the harm in waiting until it happens?
ShadowOfHarbringer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 06:56:58 PM

Because we could do something, and we do not. Doing something could decrease the future disaster which will happen after they close MtGox.

Simple:  If MtGox gets shut down, I'll start using a different exchange.  There's several others out there, so what's the problem?

The people who lose their money will become a problem.
They will keep going around the internet and ranting that Bitcoin is unsafe because blah blah blah (which is obviously false, but still).

N12
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 06:57:17 PM

I share your sentiment, Shadow, but I don’t believe anything can be done about it since it is less profitable and more difficult in the immediate future to use less liquid and fractured exchanges.

What do you think was the harm with MyBitcoin?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: