Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:04:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Take a lesson from Yahoo  (Read 2137 times)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 02:28:29 AM

By the way, I never said Bitcoin is "like" Yahoo, I said, "Take a lesson from Yahoo" -- the lesson being that anything you put money into will rise and fall. Yahoo's value of over $100.00 was artificial, and it fell quickly. As I said before, a lesson I learned is that "past results do not guarantee future results".
Do not "expect" that Bitcoin will have great value in the future. It might, but don't "expect" it.

I did not read right I appolgize for that.  Your don't invest more then you can lose is a good philosophy in general.   

Past results do not guarantee future results is also fair.   

I think we are still early on in bitcoin and future will show us who invested right.  I think bitcoin will have a value but I honestly agree no one can say how much.  We can guess and go from past.  I personally think with more adoption of it will rise.   It seems more and more are adopting it so i think future is bright personally.  But again I could be wrong anyone could.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
williamj2543

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2014, 02:32:13 AM

I hope it stays somewhere at 1000, some of us will lose if bitcoin stays at 500, or falls lower, 1000$ is a nice rounded number plus we won't lose money.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
pr472 (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 05:07:43 PM

By the way, I never said Bitcoin is "like" Yahoo, I said, "Take a lesson from Yahoo" -- the lesson being that anything you put money into will rise and fall. Yahoo's value of over $100.00 was artificial, and it fell quickly. As I said before, a lesson I learned is that "past results do not guarantee future results".
Do not "expect" that Bitcoin will have great value in the future. It might, but don't "expect" it.

I did not read right I appolgize for that.  Your don't invest more then you can lose is a good philosophy in general.   

Past results do not guarantee future results is also fair.   

I think we are still early on in bitcoin and future will show us who invested right.  I think bitcoin will have a value but I honestly agree no one can say how much.  We can guess and go from past.  I personally think with more adoption of it will rise.   It seems more and more are adopting it so i think future is bright personally.  But again I could be wrong anyone could.

Thank you! We agree.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 06:09:24 PM

It seems that there a good number of people have bought Bitcoin as an investment. I'm not going to judge whether it is a good idea or not. But perhaps I can speak of one of my experiences with investments that you may want to consider.
In the year 2000, Yahoo stock was worth about $118.00. But the tech bubble burst, and in 2001, Yahoo stock fell to $8.11.  (I bought some at $8.90).
The good news is that Yahoo stock is now worth about $40.00-41.00. Yes, Yahoo stock has grown the past 13 years, but the growth has been gradual. The important word is "gradual". Most investments are like that. They usually grow over a period of time.
That is why I think it is unrealistic to think that Bitcoin will be worth $10,000 any time soon, or ever. There is nothing magical about Bitcoin that will make it like any other investment that has ever existed. Bitcoin will rise and fall, gradually. It just doesn't make sense to me that it will suddenly "shoot up" and stay there.
In other words, if you are invested in Bitcoin, you have to think long term. No one knows how any investment will turn out. I have been invested in the stock market for some time. The market has been good to me, but I have had some bad years too. All of my investments have grown, but grown gradually.

please watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHUPPYzzZrI
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 05:09:21 AM

Yes, you're right, this could very well be a path Bitcoin may take. Then again, it could be more prudent and profitable to short Bitcoin now and wait for it to go even lower. Thing is: No one knows what's the right thing to do :/

How do you short Bitcoin?

Coef

Activity: 882

Exhausted

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 05:46:51 PM

Yes, you're right, this could very well be a path Bitcoin may take. Then again, it could be more prudent and profitable to short Bitcoin now and wait for it to go even lower. Thing is: No one knows what's the right thing to do :/

How do you short Bitcoin?

You can do margin trading (both in long or short positions) on exchanges like Bitfinex.
You can as well employ options trading if you believe the price will go down.

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2014, 06:32:18 PM

I agree with the general investment ideas and advice, but the fundamental flaw in the OP's statement is they omit the intrinsic properties of Bitcoin.

Bitcoin is deflationary by nature but not a deflationary spiral like a traditional monetary system:

"Elaborate controls to make sure that currency is not produced in greater numbers is not something any other currency, like the dollar or the euro, has," says Russ Roberts, professor of economics at George Mason University. The consequence will likely be slow and steady deflation, as the growth in circulating bitcoins declines and their value rises.

The 21 million Bitcoins cap and block reward halving come into play as well.

With scarcity and a supply limit as known properties of Bitcoin, the price in theory should go up.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
pr472 (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 10:57:28 PM

I agree with the general investment ideas and advice, but the fundamental flaw in the OP's statement is they omit the intrinsic properties of Bitcoin.

Bitcoin is deflationary by nature but not a deflationary spiral like a traditional monetary system:

"Elaborate controls to make sure that currency is not produced in greater numbers is not something any other currency, like the dollar or the euro, has," says Russ Roberts, professor of economics at George Mason University. The consequence will likely be slow and steady deflation, as the growth in circulating bitcoins declines and their value rises.

With scarcity and a supply limit as known properties of Bitcoin, the price in theory should go up.

Anytime you make an investment, you believe "in theory" that it will go up. But in reality, prices go up or down because of factors that are unforeseen or unexpected. Bitcoin is no different.
ANTIcentralized

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 11:45:41 PM

Anytime you make an investment, you believe "in theory" that it will go up. But in reality, prices go up or down because of factors that are unforeseen or unexpected. Bitcoin is no different.
This is true. There is no guarantee that the price of bitcoin will increase over time. I do however think that over long periods of time (10+ years) it likely will be much higher then it is today
Chemistry1988
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 09:17:05 PM

We have roughly 160 new blocks everyday (https://btc.blockr.io/charts), which brings us 8000 new bitcoin everyday.
So isn't that exactly an increase in money supply? Shouldn't we call it inflationary?
williamj2543

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 11:27:02 PM

We have roughly 160 new blocks everyday (https://btc.blockr.io/charts), which brings us 8000 new bitcoin everyday.
So isn't that exactly an increase in money supply? Shouldn't we call it inflationary?
When the BTC limit is reached, no more btc left printing, which I think should deflate it.

▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
no141

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 11:30:48 PM

The whole point in knowing to invest in bitcoin is simple. It's the demand and usage. Get either of those up, and the value can go up. The problem is counties with huge populations are having an impact on the expansion.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: