Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:15:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's all take a moment to thank Apple  (Read 2006 times)
yokosan (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 09:12:16 PM

Thank you Apple for investing lots of money into the infrastructure to enable mobile payments.

And thank you for getting people used to the idea of paying with your mobile phone.

Also, thank you for negotiating contracts with visa, mastercard, american express. As usual you really are the master negotiator, well done.

Now google, paypal, everybody in the online payment scene is going to be worrying what the fuck can they do to compete.

Well I think we all know what can compete don't we... think about how every time you use apple pay somebody (most likely the merchant) has to pay both VISA/Mastercard/AE and now Apple as well...

Think about those credit card fees you get when buying abroad, do you really think those will magically dissapear when you use apple pay? No way.

Apple has done what they do best. They have made a really great user experience, and an app that is easy to use. And they have the mass appeal to get lots of users.

BUT, at the end of the day it's still a credit card, albeit a much more convenient one in app form.

All of the fundamentals of Bitcoin stand strong on this one and Apple is laying the foundations for us so that mobile payments take off.

As a side note... great you can pay for mcdonalds with apple pay. But what about the smaller independent stores...? They know they need to accept mobile payments, but are they going to want to pay extortionate fees, or are they going to look to the better alternative of Bitcoin?

I think we all know the answer. Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 09:31:59 PM

You forgot to mention Apples flawless security track record....  Grin

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
andy35

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 09:55:52 PM

Apple sells most of it's products to people with plenty of disposable income, and they might not worry about paying extra fees. Android users are more likely to have to ask how much something costs before buying it. They are unlikely to be happy paying extra Apple fees on top of VISA/Mastercard/AE.
yokosan (OP)

Activity: 700

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 10:03:23 PM

Do you really think that Samsung, Sony, HTC, Huawei, etc, are going to let the iPhone take all the mobile payments for itself.

It is simple. Android (Linux) and Bitcoin are a match made in heaven.

Even if Apple is the #1 in the industry at mobile payments, the top-end android phones wont go down without a fight and this is all growth for Bitcoin.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 10:20:28 PM

Do you really think that Samsung, Sony, HTC, Huawei, etc, are going to let the iPhone take all the mobile payments for itself.

It is simple. Android (Linux) and Bitcoin are a match made in heaven.

Even if Apple is the #1 in the industry at mobile payments, the top-end android phones wont go down without a fight and this is all growth for Bitcoin.

I like how you think Yokosan!  Grin

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Vamos

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 10:34:50 PM

Me too!   You are right in the money/bitcoin.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 11:12:16 PM

Apple sells most of it's products to people with plenty of disposable income, and they might not worry about paying extra fees. Android users are more likely to have to ask how much something costs before buying it. They are unlikely to be happy paying extra Apple fees on top of VISA/Mastercard/AE.

True dat. I'm happy to pay more for convenience. I can always get more cash, time is more precious to me. Ymmv

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 11:12:54 PM

Now if someone makes btc that convenient...

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
Habeler876

Activity: 624

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 11:57:31 PM

Yep, just another way to use credit cards. A more accessible Square. At the end of the day, this is just another "pull" method of payment. It suffers from the drawbacks that credit cards do (obviously). I don't want merchants sticking their hands in my wallet. The "push" nature of bitcoin payments are what make it revolutionary -- or rather, what makes the payment system aspect revolutionary. Apple can't compete with that.

wren

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 04:38:44 AM

apple pay is the worst news for bitcoin in months. you people are delusional.
forzendiablo
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1000

the grandpa of cryptos

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 04:42:46 AM

apple didnt want to add BTC things due to their plan but hey ended having to

BTC to the moon!

yolo
Raystonn

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 04:44:06 AM

Apple Pay isn't a competitor to Bitcoin any more than Paypal is.  Just another USD payment provider.
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2014, 04:52:44 AM

The chargebacks with Apple Pay and OneTouch is going to be ridiculous for merchants.

If it's as easy as one button, where do people sign? As a merchant, we deal with chargebacks all the time. Credit card companies want to see receipts with signatures, or else the customer gets their money back. Where's the incentive for merchants to add Apple Pay?

Apple Pay and OneTouch is the same shit wrapped up in a new box. Instead of pulling your card out of your wallet, you're now touching your phone to some device. Only the "act of payment" has changed. The fundamental technology/rails is the same.

piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 06:27:16 AM

Apple Pay isn't a competitor to Bitcoin any more than Paypal is.  Just another USD payment provider.

This. They'll hardly even cover USA alone, which is what, 4% world population? Minus people who do not have iphone, we're at 1% at best, and that's their maximum theoretically possible market now.

Besides, the first hack of the encrypted card data allowing iphone virus to conveniently pay with "one touch" and the whole idea is compromised.

i am satoshi
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 10:23:21 AM

Apple Pay and OneTouch is the same shit wrapped up in a new box. Instead of pulling your card out of your wallet, you're now touching your phone to some device.

This +10

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2014, 10:45:26 AM

As long as we have bitcoin credit/debit cards, we can ultimately spend bitcoin with Apple pay or Google Wallet.
Room101

Activity: 541
Merit: 362

Rules not Rulers

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 11:39:41 AM

the poor aren't buying iphones. They are buying cheap androids and now the Mozilla phone. I agree with the OP. If this get mobile payments in general more accepted, it will benefit  BTC more than apple in the long run.

Bitcoin is the greatest form of protest there is. Vote in the only way that really counts: with your money.
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 11:46:00 AM

The chargebacks with Apple Pay and OneTouch is going to be ridiculous for merchants.

If it's as easy as one button, where do people sign? As a merchant, we deal with chargebacks all the time. Credit card companies want to see receipts with signatures, or else the customer gets their money back. Where's the incentive for merchants to add Apple Pay?

Apple Pay and OneTouch is the same shit wrapped up in a new box. Instead of pulling your card out of your wallet, you're now touching your phone to some device. Only the "act of payment" has changed. The fundamental technology/rails is the same.

maybe that they have to buy yet another expensive terminal  Cheesy  (including contracts, fees, maintenance...)

edit: i run a retail shop. to let customers pay in btc i had to invest ... hm... how much is the cost of a bw printout ... 2 cents ?
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 12:19:30 PM

You forgot to mention Apples flawless security track record....  Grin

ROFL!!!  Grin
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 12:24:05 PM

I said it before, I'll say it again: Fuck Apple.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: