Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:33:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: kiba going crazy with the moving???  (Read 5903 times)
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 02:46:12 AM

What you perceive as "the right place" might be perceived differently by other people, so why don't you leave things where they are and save some time for yourself and other?

My sorting algorithm is about 99% accurate as far as I am concerned.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 02:47:53 AM

My sorting algorithm is about 99% accurate as far as I am concerned.

You must be joking  Grin Grin Grin
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 02:48:29 AM

You must be joking  Grin Grin Grin

Nobody complains. I consider that a "yes".

mewantsbitcoins

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 02:50:04 AM

I admire your determination, but that's just stupid
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 02:56:53 AM

I admire your determination, but that's just stupid

Don't like the moving? Complain each and every time I moved something. Than I'll stop moving anything.

Right now, it looks to me to be the first complaint about an everyday routine maintenance activity.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2011, 03:14:49 AM

I don't think Kiba was saying that he doesn't care what people think. I think he was saying that he doesn't care which section this particular post goes in. Sorry, Kiba, if I'm wrong and being presumptuous.

In general I don't think there is usually one right section for a post. If someone wants economic analysis of a subject or thought they'll put it there. They might put the exact same post in say project development if they are more interested in the logistics of actually doing the thing or want help or something.

A good rule would be to trust that someone with 100+ posts knows about all the sections and made an informed decision about where to place a thread unless it is totally obviously wrong. Like a WTB in Meta, people sometimes mistakenly think they are in a different forum. Noobs though are more often careless, and also less likely to have a strong desire for putting it in a certain place. I don't start many threads, but if I do I know I want them where I put them.

So, more deference to old-timers and more 'help' for newbies imo. And less moving in general, though I know some of it is just transitional.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 03:21:03 AM

I don't think Kiba was saying that he doesn't care what people think. I think he was saying that he doesn't care which section this particular post goes in. Sorry, Kiba, if I'm wrong and being presumptuous.

Right. I don't really fight hard when push come to shove. A few posts back and forth about a particular thread in question should be the end of it.

On the other hand, I am highly amused by people asserting their independence against me as if it were for the very spirit of the forum.  Cheesy

Folks, this is just maintenance. No need to blow it out of proportion.

Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 03:22:31 AM

I don't mind all the moving, however I'd prefer if it just got completely moved, without leaving behind a message saying where it went.

All those little empty "This has been moved" threads are annoying.

People can always use the search if they're looking for something specific.

mewantsbitcoins

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 03:24:32 AM

Right. I don't really fight hard when push come to shove. A few posts back and forth about a particular thread in question should be the end of it.

On the other hand, I am highly amused by people asserting their independence against me as if it were for the very spirit of the forum.  Cheesy

Folks, this is just maintenance. No need to blow it out of proportion.

Have you ever wondered why you are the only mod feeling the need to move threads?
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 03:25:13 AM

Have you ever wondered why you are the only mod feeling the need to move threads?

No.  Wink

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 03:27:45 AM

I don't mind all the moving, however I'd prefer if it just got completely moved, without leaving behind a message saying where it went.

If you are a participant in a thread, you will be wondering where the thread goes.

Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 03:47:43 AM

If you are a participant in a thread, you will be wondering where the thread goes.

And then you will see the search feature and the earth will start rotating again.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 03:52:50 AM

OPs can move their topics back if they disagree with moves. Then we can have a discussion about whether it was appropriate.

A few of kiba's recent moves were unnecessary, IMO. I try not to move topics unless almost all people would agree with my categorization.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2011, 04:35:24 AM

this is a forum full of anarchists and hackers; you are moving their posts (infringing on their speech!).  of course they get upset.

Freedom of speech only applies on your own property. If these forums get too oppressive, we'll just make our own.

That being said, I don't really see the point in organizing things too strictly. If I click on a thread entitled "the economics of Bitcoin" then I expect to see some economic discussion. I don't really care if it's in the "Bitcoin Discussion" or the "Economics" section. I doubt anyone is going to feel slighted. Then again, I don't really care about the moves either. I just like arguing. Tongue
asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 07:00:05 AM

Isn't this the whole problem of items fitting into multiple categories. Threads should be tagged based on each category they fall under, not exclusively placed in one section.

@kiba: your lust for power will be your undoing. One day, the forum will rise up and take back what is theirs! You think you can just push us around, tell us where threads will go? We will not be subject to your tyranny much longer. Sleep with one eye open...
eof

Activity: 156

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 12:09:49 PM

Isn't this the whole problem of items fitting into multiple categories. Threads should be tagged based on each category they fall under, not exclusively placed in one section.

You're asking for something other than a message board..
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 12:22:43 PM

A hugely active board such as this one does need active moderation. I don't agree that what Kiba is doing is wrong. He's only putting things in the right place, not deleting them.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
fabianhjr

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Do The Evolution

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 08:06:18 PM

He is also leaving a lot of "moved" messages, for which is completely unnecessary.
Plus some changes are arguable, topics should only be moved if it is completely clear they are in the wrong section.

Also, his attitude of "don't care" isn't the best.

That is all this thread is about.

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 09:48:50 PM

Also, his attitude of "don't care" isn't the best.

And you reported.

He doesn't care, why should he be a mod? This is a pressing issue that must be resolved in a civil way.

I am curious that people call for stripping my power simply because of the perceived excess categorization and simply because of my attitude.

Perhaps, I will be stripped of my power. Big fricking deal. Other mods will be there to pick up the slack.

Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 11:58:09 PM

Calling for stripping of powers seems silly. He's one of the most active members and obviously not malicious.

I just say, relax a bit bud Smiley You're wasting your time trying to fit everything perfectly and making the forums look a bit cluttered

Besides, I have enough trouble reading all the threads that show up already!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: