Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:16:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Day - Nominations  (Read 3205 times)
phelix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 06:41:43 AM

As it has been a bit calm here lately:

It would be nice to have a bitcoin day to "celebrate our independence from the central bankers" as anonymous put it (see link below).

I invite you to present your nomination in this thread so we can then vote.

previous suggestions:

January 3rd    https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25900.0
   genesis block date
   the obvious one but not a good date imho because lots of people are on holiday and still have a hangover

February 9th
  first time Bitcoin / USD parity

December 12th    https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54386 (Satoshi Nakamoto Day)
   last message from the great leader

I would prefer a day in summer, though. Ideas?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 06:42:11 AM

some people reserve the second post, I have no idea why but will do too
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 07:17:13 AM

Three calendar years.  

One of the highlights last year on this date was that Bitcoin had reached "thousands of nodes".  That same metric ended up at tens of thousands of nodes during the summer (using the same metric: http://stats.bitcoin.it/rrd/nodes_total-year.png ).  Other node count methods calculate differently: http://bitcoinstats.org/count.html for example.

Last's year's birthday post:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2579.0

I can't find the post but since the generation of blocks rather than the calendar time is more important, there have been suggestions to not use calendar time then to mark a "birthday".

Since bitcoin has an event every 210,000 blocks whose timing roughly correlates to an occurance once every four years, how about timing the event to one fourth of that 210,000 blocks.  Or every 52,500 blocks -- roughly one year, but will vary based on rates of change of difficulty.  This would put the birthday in December this year.  About December 9th, to be more specific.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

R-

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Pasta

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2012, 07:22:53 AM

Put it on a regular boring day that isn't a holiday. That way, people can rejoice, skip work or school and have a warm fuzzy feeling bout Bitcoin.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 07:34:33 AM

How about April 17th so that we can both rejoice and be reminded that the game is not over yet?

phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 10:16:06 AM

Put it on a regular boring day that isn't a holiday. That way, people can rejoice, skip work or school and have a warm fuzzy feeling bout Bitcoin.
+1  Grin
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 10:16:57 AM

How about April 17th so that we can both rejoice and be reminded that the game is not over yet?

Huh   did anything happen last week?
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 10:17:22 AM

US Tax day.

phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 10:21:17 AM

Three calendar years.  

One of the highlights last year on this date was that Bitcoin had reached "thousands of nodes".  That same metric ended up at tens of thousands of nodes during the summer (using the same metric: http://stats.bitcoin.it/rrd/nodes_total-year.png ).  Other node count methods calculate differently: http://bitcoinstats.org/count.html for example.

Last's year's birthday post:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2579.0

I can't find the post but since the generation of blocks rather than the calendar time is more important, there have been suggestions to not use calendar time then to mark a "birthday".

Since bitcoin has an event every 210,000 blocks whose timing roughly correlates to an occurance once every four years, how about timing the event to one fourth of that 210,000 blocks.  Or every 52,500 blocks -- roughly one year, but will vary based on rates of change of difficulty.  This would put the birthday in December this year.  About December 9th, to be more specific.

yeah, block height is cooler.

but 262,500  hmmmm   315,000, 367,500,...   why did the great one not make it every 200,000 blocks 

edit: also the block reward change is a big event of its own - we need an additional bitcoin day Smiley

to be honest I had hoped for a date that would come up in the next couple of months...

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2012, 03:13:45 PM

US Tax day.

It was the 17th this year because the 15th fell on the weekend. But my dad was born on the 17th in 1938 (RIP, you old fart [he knows its not in disrespect])

Dad showing off the last walleye he caught.
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 02:14:04 PM

@Phin: you are classic

another date of importance is the creation date of satoshi's paper: March, 24th 2009

mila

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 02:20:37 PM

May 22
first real world transaction ever settled with bitcoins (2010 two pizzas for 10.000 bitcoins)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137.msg1195#msg1195

your ad here:
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 03:07:49 PM

May 22
first real world transaction ever settled with bitcoins (2010 two pizzas for 10.000 bitcoins)

that is the thing!

bitcoin pizza day! on that day every bitcoin believer must order a pizza for bitcoins!

Looking forward to the day I get 10.000 pizzas for two bitcoins  Cool
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2012, 03:37:56 PM

May 22

My birthday is May 21, so I support this decision!
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 04:49:45 PM

Since bitcoin has an event every 210,000 blocks whose timing roughly correlates to an occurance once every four years, how about timing the event to one fourth of that 210,000 blocks...

Why does it have to be every year? Why can't it be every four years like the Olympics or the World Cup. It will make it a more special celebration people will look forward to.
I like it having a floating date instead of pinning it down, and will make it something that will generate a lot of buzz and anticipation as the date approaches. That may make it like the flash mob phenomena in some ways.

/edit the best celebrations are not those we plan and organize ahead of time but those which just happen... organically; spontaneously.    
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2012, 05:00:30 PM

Since bitcoin has an event every 210,000 blocks whose timing roughly correlates to an occurance once every four years, how about timing the event to one fourth of that 210,000 blocks...

Why does it have to be every year? Why can't it be every four years like the Olympics or the World Cup. It will make it a more special celebration people will look forward to.
I like it having a floating date instead of pinning it down, and will make it something that will generate a lot of buzz and anticipation as the date approaches. That may make it like the flash mob phenomena in some ways.

/edit the best celebrations are not those we plan and organize ahead of time but those which just happen... organically; spontaneously.    

Something like a random date generator picked the previous year via a notable pushing a button.

wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 07:22:35 PM

The block-parties every 210,000 blocks will surely happen anyway, so we already have such a very special celebration.

It can't hurt though to have another Bitcoin day to celebrate every year and a floating date according to block-height would be very appropriate. I like the 52,500th block idea since it is the most logical one, but it will probably stay in winter for a long time. Anyway, here's a few alternatives from the top of my head:

- Once every 50,000 blocks or roughly 11.6 months. Pretty intuitive, would not collide with the block-partys and soon be in summer. Projected dates for the next 5 years:
  • 2012: October 1st
  • 2013: September 13th
  • 2014: August 26th
  • 2015: August 8th
  • 2016: July 21st

- Once every 2^16=65536 blocks or roughly every 15 months. Would not collide with a block-party within the next 50,000 years but there would be years without a Bitcoin day and it is probably a bit too nerdy - even for Bitcoin Wink Projected dates for the next 5 years:
  • 2012: September 7th
  • 2013: December 6th
  • 2014: none
  • 2015: March 6th
  • 2016: June 4th

- Pick a good (notable) calendar date and take the nearest 10,000th block. That would mean it could only vary about +-2 months around that day and therefore stay roughly in the same season every year.

- Celebrate the 10th difficulty adjustment every year. Would always be around spring.

- Countdown to the last Satoshi. The block with the last Satoshi ever to be mined will be 6,929,999. Divide that by 100 and you have kind of a percentage counter for Bitcoin which will increase roughly every 16 months. A nice property but maybe too long a cycle. Projected dates for the next 5 years:
  • 2012: November 25th
  • 2013: none
  • 2014: March 21st
  • 2015: July 15th
  • 2016: November 7th

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 07:49:19 PM

The block-parties every 210,000 blocks will surely happen anyway, so we already have such a very special celebration.

Which is kinda my point. We already have a natural candidate for a "Bitcoin Day" that people will already celebrate
without need of them being coaxed or enticed. We don't need to try and contrive something else.

I suppose there is always the fear, for some, that Bitcoin may not last another four years... which, I feel, will make
it all the more worth celebrating when the day arrives.

My opinions.
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 08:03:26 PM

I suppose there is always the fear, for some, that Bitcoin may not last another four years...
I don't think that's the problem, it's just too long to wait Smiley

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 08:44:31 PM

Which is kinda my point. We already have a natural candidate for a "Bitcoin Day" that people will already celebrate
without need of them being coaxed or enticed. We don't need to try and contrive something else.

I suppose there is always the fear, for some, that Bitcoin may not last another four years... which, I feel, will make
it all the more worth celebrating when the day arrives.

My opinions.
On the block reward change dates (is there a better name?) all bitcoineers' attention will be on the system and markets. For outsiders this has not much meaning. I thought about the bitcoin day more as a marketing thing.

@wareen: thanks for your analysis and ideas

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: