Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:39:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: George Selgin advocates Bitcoin AGAIN  (Read 5938 times)
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 02:06:19 PM

Actually you are right. But you are wrong asking the question "This is good in what way?"

It's irrelevant whether or not it's good, the original question was whether or not Bitcoin is or has a government and the ability to fork it, what ever this would actually mean for the value of the system, proves it does not. If I want to use Bitcoin, I can, however I cannot force others to use my version of Bitcoin even if I modify the original Bitcoin and have enough rule enforcement power which is something a government could do.

why are u getting so "hung up" on the definitions of what ppl are trying to say?  such as "democracy" or "government"?

such as, i know exactly what rjk is trying to say when he says the governing rules of Bitcoin are the source code and algorithm which govern the Bitcoin community and network.

i also am convinced that democratic principles apply to Bitcoin.  miners can try to subvert the system to their benefit if they want but if it violates the wants or desires of the majority of users, they will simply leave.  no users, no network, no miners.  period.

users are not "forced" to use Bitcoin.  they have a choice unlike USD's here in the US which have to be used for a variety of purposes, taxes being one.

Because people and their delusions are responsible for most of bad outcomes in the world and I'm doing my damn best to avoid delusions being perpetuated in Bitcoin.

What bitcoin is: Honest, strict, free of coercion, voluntary, regulated by market consumers (a free market), sovereign, without entitlement of equality between users ect.

What bitcoin isn't: democratic, a government, being governed by people, promoting equality of any kind

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 04:53:32 PM

I'm doing my damn best to avoid delusions being perpetuated in Bitcoin.

What bitcoin is: democratic

What bitcoin isn't: democratic

Good job.    Grin
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 05:01:48 PM

Blow job.    Grin

Look... I can edit your posts so they say something completely different too.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 05:07:57 PM

Blow job.    Grin

Look... I can edit your posts so they say something completely different too.

But can you read my edits to determine what point they are trying to get across?

Many of the words and concepts hazek uses to describe bitcoin are synonyms for "democratic". 

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 05:44:42 PM

Many of the words and concepts hazek uses to describe bitcoin are synonyms for "democratic".  

That is exactly what I'm trying to dispute and disagree with, do I need to paste dictionary definitions again?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 05:47:26 PM

That is exactly what I'm trying to dispute and disagree with, do I need to paste dictionary definitions again?

those definitions were worthless as i've already said.  self referencing.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 05:47:38 PM

What bitcoin is: Honest, strict, free of coercion, voluntary, regulated by market consumers (a free market), sovereign, without entitlement of equality between users ect.

@Portnoy:
Can you please point to an existing democracy that can by described by even one of these terms?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 05:49:59 PM

@Portnoy:
Can you please point to an existing democracy that can by described by even one of these terms?

Precisely my point.

Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 05:56:00 PM

@Portnoy:

Precisely my point.

Oh so that's your big point?  Because a good real world example doesn't exist that nullifies the concept?    lol 
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 05:58:26 PM

@Portnoy:

Precisely my point.

Oh so that's your big point?  Because a good real world example doesn't exist that nullifies the concept?    lol 

We usually use words that describe what is to describe what is and not what isn't.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 06:30:42 PM

We usually use words that describe what is to describe what is and not what isn't.

Miners have the ability to do so while casual users do not. Where in these facts do you see your eulogized democratic equality is my question..?

well you don't.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 06:47:36 PM

Miners have the ability to do so while casual users do not. Where in these facts do you see your eulogized democratic equality is my question..?

well you don't.

huh?

Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 07:13:39 PM

@Portnoy:

I can point to many. I will only choose one to make the point: My girlfriend's book club.

Do you and hazek think that "democratic" is a term that should only refer to the political governance of nation states?   lol
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 07:27:16 PM

@Portnoy:

I can point to many. I will only choose one to make the point: My girlfriend's book club.

Do you and hazek think that "democratic" is a term that should only refer to the political governance of nation states?   lol

If the book club has a ruler(s) it can't be described by any of the adjectives I listed. And to answer your question: of course not.

Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 08:02:54 PM

@Portnoy:

If the book club has a ruler(s) it can't be described by any of the adjectives I listed.

It has no ruler. No central authority. It is democratic like bitcoin.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: