Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 12:09:02 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reuters: Bitcoin gets boost as U.S. watchdog (CFTC) approves first swap  (Read 2817 times)
FUR11

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

FURring bitcoin up since 1762

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 10:23:15 PM

So this swap is an agreement to sell bitcoin at an agreed rate in the future, right? Does it mean merchants who accepts bitcoin do not need to sell the bitcoin they received on the exchange immediately?

That actually sounds like another very risky investment vehicle or tool to me! Aren't swaps basically used for leveraged or margin trading? I only see all those swaps over on Bitfinex, where people lend their money to others and they get wiped out afterwards, lol!

BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 10:23:40 PM

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but shouldn't this help the approval process for the Winklevoss ETF?  I would think this is another step towards showing how this is a legitimate investment.  

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 10:25:12 PM

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but shouldn't this help the approval process for the Winklevoss ETF?  I would think this is another step towards showing how this is a legitimate investment.  

this will do nothing to speed up the approval

but the FUD about it not being approved at all should stop.

FUR11

Activity: 378

FURring bitcoin up since 1762

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 10:34:50 PM

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but shouldn't this help the approval process for the Winklevoss ETF?  I would think this is another step towards showing how this is a legitimate investment. 

this will do nothing to speed up the approval

but the FUD about it not being approved at all should stop.

What are the latest news on the COIN ETF, anyways? There have been rumors that it is stalling or may get cancelled completely!? Is this true or is this just plain and simple FUD, really?

Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 12:19:42 AM

the chance's of someone delivering Bitcoin at below market rates just because they have signed a futures

contract could still be fantasy,

"had to construct an index to gauge the value of bitcoin that the CFTC was satisfied could not easily be manipulated"

this is just fancy terminology to say Terra had the money/connections to pay for CFTC approval,

All exchanges will rise and fall together,

sure if they want to have a gauge that extrapolates out 6 months to provide an average please

go back up to the first line I wrote,

Good on Terra for doing it and we wish them well for investing in Cryptocurrency.

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2014, 08:02:30 AM

TeraExchange Receives US Approval to Launch First Bitcoin Derivative

http://www.coindesk.com/teraexchange-bitcoin-derivative-cftc/

counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 09:06:08 AM

I think this does a ton to help Bitcoin be more widely accepted and it helps legitimize it more so in the eyes of those who've been sitting on the sidelines.  They are probably tons of people who are unsure what Bitcsoin is really all about and now they have more of a reason to look into it.  They likely won't but hey it is what it is.
hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 266

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 11:33:51 AM

There are no exchange of bitcoin at all in this swap - it's all in USD. You guys are talking about a future contract.

This is more like your Costco price warranty. You have Bitcoins today but if it's worth less in a year, you get the difference. However, in the case of the swap if it's worth more then you pay the difference. Also, the reference may not be today's price as long as both parties agree to it.

coinits
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 11:44:18 AM

dosn't really mean anything if it does explain it to me
You are too dumb to understand things like this.  However, I'll tell you one thing you can understand - this is fucking huge. 

Sure bud just answer the question instead of trying to sound like an ass hat
The answer will be of no use to you.  You'll just have to believe that bitcoin swaps are a very important step forward.  It basically means, now wall street is actually involved and designing financial products around bitcoin.  Never before has that been done. 

Look, this stuff is technical.  It's not really good for morons.  Try a Frisbee.

This is terrible news. It is all about TPTB taking control of BTC.

News flash: Wall Street is a criminal enterprise. They will make a mess of it and dictate the price. Look at what they have done to gold and silver with their fake metal ETFs and their rehypothecated shit sales of metal. They will sell the same Bitcoin to different entities all at the same time, and they will do this, because it will be outside of the blockchain. They will shuffle bitcoin to the entity that is being audited to make the books jibe.

These cocksuckers will control the market and control the price. It is huge alright. It is a huge fucking disaster.

Jump you fuckers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yge311sFhC8

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
vipgelsi
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 11:47:05 AM

At this day and age any news is good for bitcoin especially watchdog groups we need to stay relevant.
Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 11:55:00 AM

So this swap is an agreement to sell bitcoin at an agreed rate in the future, right? Does it mean merchants who accepts bitcoin do not need to sell the bitcoin they received on the exchange immediately?

I think so. But you have to pay for the facility.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 03:56:44 PM

dosn't really mean anything if it does explain it to me
You are too dumb to understand things like this.  However, I'll tell you one thing you can understand - this is fucking huge. 

Sure bud just answer the question instead of trying to sound like an ass hat

translation:

I want to sound smart by calling you stupid, but the truth is I do not understand it myself either.

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 04:03:04 PM

Technically this is true. However someone selling a futures contract to sell something in the future generally has the same effect on the "spot" market as an outright sale would have.

i'm not an expert on this subject, but i think there is a few crucial differences that make the pressure less harmful.

1) The sell is in the future, meaning the market has more time to respond (either positively or negatively)

2) If the seller would agree with the current price, he would have sold outright, but clearly the seller is hoping the price will improve in the timeframe of his contract, therefore, the intended selling price is higher than an immediate sell, therefore even though there is sell pressure, it's not like they want to sell it 'at any cost' like a market order.

All in all future contracts do drive the price down, but not the same as a market sell.
zorke

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 04:57:34 PM

the chance's of someone delivering Bitcoin at below market rates just because they have signed a futures

contract could still be fantasy,

"had to construct an index to gauge the value of bitcoin that the CFTC was satisfied could not easily be manipulated"

this is just fancy terminology to say Terra had the money/connections to pay for CFTC approval,

All exchanges will rise and fall together,

sure if they want to have a gauge that extrapolates out 6 months to provide an average please

go back up to the first line I wrote,

Good on Terra for doing it and we wish them well for investing in Cryptocurrency.
The person selling the bitcoin would need to put up some kind of collateral to enter into the agreement. As the price is less favorable to the seller, more of the collateral is taken from them. If the level of collateral falls below a certain level then the account would automatically enter into a buy futures transaction to unwind the sell transaction (individual contracts are fungible)
hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 266

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 01:19:24 AM

It's not a future contract but a swap. The margin calls do not work the same way.

Someone asks if it's like a future and then a bunch of people reply "yes". Now this thread assumes it's a future. No offense but this is how misinformation is spread.

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 02:06:40 AM

when reuters write about bitcoin it must be big news
wasserman99

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 07:23:03 AM

Technically this is true. However someone selling a futures contract to sell something in the future generally has the same effect on the "spot" market as an outright sale would have.

i'm not an expert on this subject, but i think there is a few crucial differences that make the pressure less harmful.

1) The sell is in the future, meaning the market has more time to respond (either positively or negatively)

2) If the seller would agree with the current price, he would have sold outright, but clearly the seller is hoping the price will improve in the timeframe of his contract, therefore, the intended selling price is higher than an immediate sell, therefore even though there is sell pressure, it's not like they want to sell it 'at any cost' like a market order.

All in all future contracts do drive the price down, but not the same as a market sell.
If someone were to sell a futures contract to sell 1 BTC then someone else will need to buy a futures contract for 1 BTC. When they enter into this contract the buyer would now not buy the 1 BTC they would otherwise buy on the spot market. The buyer would still have all the benefits of owing the 1 BTC except for being able to spend it on the network until the contract expires and the 1 btc is delivered

bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 07:29:55 AM

This should have a positive effect on Bitcoin. Bitcoin rules Cool Cool

iamahappyminer

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 11:15:53 AM

We called TeraExchange- the minimum trade size is $1M USD and only eligible contract participants can trade the swap.

This is great news for those that have large mining operations, companies with a lot of flow like Coinbase and a step in the right direction for the trustworthiness of Bitcoin trading as this is the first regulator outside of the money transmission world to approve a digital currency product. Counter-party risk, a mainstay of the digital currency trading industry, will hopefully be eliminated for traders as more products get approved. In addition, this is good news for the ETF as the SEC and CFTC have similar regulatory mandates.
Dawnbreaker

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 03:46:29 PM

I don't understand, what is going on? A swap?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: