Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:53:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If you use Skype, read this thread.  (Read 3371 times)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 12:52:48 PM

Hi. I'm the founder of one of the largest incubators in Bitcoin, the DCAO (Digital Commerce Advancement Organization). Although we use various project management solutions such as JIRA, we mostly communicate over Skype. Currently we have 50+ active members in the organization working busily on the produces and services that you use everyday.

While doing my chores on the Bitcoin Magazine today, I was realizing just how uncomfortable it is to discuss things in forum PMs and how many missed opportunities there are for people sharing ideas here on these forums with the wrong crowd. So completely separate from the DCAO, I'd like to start the first Skype Bitcoin group. The minimum requirements for this group are as follows:

You must either:
  • Love Bitcoin
  • Hate Bitcoin
  • Not yet have an opinion formed on Bitcoin

No Atlas allowed

Please add matthewnealwright to your Skype contacts and make sure to have your friend request say "Because Bitcoin" or else I'll think you're a random creeper and block you.

Thanks!

Matthew

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
R-

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Pasta

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2012, 01:13:02 PM

Sent you a request broski.
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 01:18:04 PM

IRC, have you heard of it?
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 01:19:43 PM

As an avid and hardcore IRCer from childhood on, I can tell you that the overall experience pales in comparison. Skype doesn't require a constant connection, keeps logs and rejoins you later without losing momentum, allows for video and voice calls, etc.

IRC is so 1990. (Skype is so 2000, but nothing better has come out yet so meh).

R-

Pasta

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2012, 01:42:23 PM

The IRC protocol was developed over the last 4 years since it was first implemented as a means for users on a BBS to chat amongst themselves. Now it supports a world-wide network of servers and clients, and is stringing to cope with growth. Over the past 2 years, the average number of users connected to the main IRC network has grown by a factor of 10.

- J. Oikarinen, D. Reed; Internet Relay Chat Protocol; RFC 1459; May 1993.

When I was born. Definition: Oldschool.
Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2012, 02:23:52 PM

I'm not much of a camguy, but what about GTalk/Google Hangouts? Does skype even do conferences?

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 02:28:05 PM

I'm not much of a camguy, but what about GTalk/Google Hangouts? Does skype even do conferences?

I don't use cams on Skype for group conferencing, only text. Skype functions just like IRC. Right now we're chatting text-only. Also, google products SUCK on mobile/tablets, I'm sorry but it's just true. Skype only kind of sucks on mobile, and mostly iPhone.

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 02:33:22 PM

As an avid and hardcore IRCer from childhood on, I can tell you that the overall experience pales in comparison. Skype doesn't require a constant connection, keeps logs and rejoins you later without losing momentum, allows for video and voice calls, etc.

Come on, man. Haven't you ever heard of a bouncer? Set up an IRC bouncer on a server or VPS with a stable connection, and it will feed you all unread logs whenever you reconnect to it, as well as other useful features. When you throw a good BNC into the mix with IRC, it blows the shit out of Skype so badly that you will never go back.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 02:35:37 PM

Come on, man. Haven't you ever heard of a bouncer?

Needs a bouncer:

+1 Skype

When you throw a good BNC into the mix with IRC, it blows the shit out of Skype so badly that you will never go back.

Needs a BNC:

+1 Skype

Supports video or phone:

+1 Skype

Cross platform for all mobile devices and easy to use:

+1 Skype

Sorry....I love IRC, but there is no contest.

nathanghart

Activity: 195

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 02:43:25 PM

Added you as a contact. Thanks bro.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 02:45:41 PM

Never let the lack of research get in the way of the facts.

But for those of you that like to spread all your information all over the internet, I suppose Skype is right for you.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 02:51:19 PM

But for those of you that like to spread all your information all over the internet, I suppose Skype is right for you.

It's right for businessmen.

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 03:03:58 PM

It's right for businessmen.
So how’s that magazine going, businessman?
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 03:07:17 PM

Needs a bouncer:

+1 Skype

A bouncer literally takes a fraction of a second to set up: http://geekbouncer.co.uk

Also you referred to a bouncer twice. BNC is short for bouncer.

Supports video or phone:

+1 Skype

I don't use cams on Skype for group conferencing, only text.

Contradicting yourself much?

Cross platform for all mobile devices and easy to use:

IRC is cross-platform too, it'll run on any OS + mobile device. Is there even a webclient for Skype yet?

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 03:15:12 PM

A bouncer literally takes a fraction of a second to set up: http://geekbouncer.co.uk

"Hey Mr Businessman! Let's communicate about topics related to making money, but if you want to, you've got to jump through some hoops. First, ever heard of IRC? Install this...."

I don't use cams on Skype for group conferencing, only text.

Contradicting yourself much?
I meant to say "much", but I hardly see why that would be considered contradiction since we're talking about the overall features of IRC vs. Skype. Skype is still way better for businesses than IRC. Sorry.

IRC is cross-platform too, it'll run on any OS + mobile device. Is there even a webclient for Skype yet?

Of course IRC is cross platform, it's a protocol not an app. And Skype is a closed protocol which is why it doesn't really have a web version that I know of.

schnell

Activity: 266

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 03:22:11 PM

Adding you when I get home Smiley
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 03:25:52 PM

"Hey Mr Businessman! Let's communicate about topics related to making money, but if you want to, you've got to jump through some hoops. First, ever heard of IRC? Install this...."

You have to sign-up to Skype and download the application.
With IRC its the same, sign-up to a bouncer and download the application. Most bouncers will automatically register your nick with NickServ and identify you automatically, so you have absolutely nothing to do.

In actual fact you don't HAVE to sign-up for a bouncer if you don't need to have your PM's saved for when your offline. You can still access the chat-logs via your browser.

I meant to say "much", but I hardly see why that would be considered contradiction since we're talking about the overall features of IRC vs. Skype. Skype is still way better for businesses than IRC. Sorry.

I just don't see the point of switching everyone to Skype when we're all on IRC right now (freenode #bitcoin-otc). We even have a bot that tells us latest bitcoin prices and assists us in trades + a feedback system that works really well. I'm currently working on an escrow bot for IRC so we don't even have to leave IRC to make trades via escrow. Does Skype have any of that?

Of course IRC is cross platform, it's a protocol not an app. And Skype is a closed protocol which is why it doesn't really have a web version that I know of.

You tried to use that as a point for Skype, which doesn't make any sense.

Anyways, there's no point arguing this because I can feel we're both wasting our time and will never listen to each other's points. Installing Skype and adding you.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 03:27:49 PM

Anyways, there's no point arguing this because I can feel we're both wasting our time and will never listen to each other's points. Installing Skype and adding you.

LOL..

R-

Pasta

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2012, 04:36:53 PM

It has been a good time.
Nicolai Larsen

Activity: 331

Earthling