Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:52:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Researchers claim quantum breakthrough  (Read 2364 times)
istar (OP)

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 03:18:51 PM

Researchers say they have designed a tiny crystal that acts like a quantum computer so powerful it would take a computer the size of the known universe to match it.

And I thought remote control to the TV was a big breakthrough...

http://digg.com/newsbar/topnews/researchers_claim_a_quantum_breakthrough_a_computer_so_powerful_it_would_take_a_computer_the_size_of_the_known_universe_to_match_it?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=tweet&utm_content=1574th&utm_campaign=digg2000

If this is true, the consequences of it will be hard to grasp.
But what consequences will it have on Bitcoin? In the coming years?

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gamer4156

Activity: 1008
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 03:21:27 PM

None, this is decades from being utilized.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 03:36:10 PM

As a researcher who often claims things and listens to claims of peers, all I can tell you: never trust a scientist. Long gone are the days of scientific method and integrity. There are solid facts and statistics showing that only 10-30% of published academic research can be reproduced. The morale of the story: be very reserved, and don't fall for it easily.

Here's an exercise for you: whenever faced with an article making grandiose, game-changing claims (curing cancer, developing new computing technologies, etc.) - make a note of it. Few years later, check on the status or even existence of these claims.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 04:01:03 PM

The Nature article linked does not seem to be directly relevant to the story, but perhaps it's over my head.

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2012, 04:17:51 PM

Who wants my HD6990?

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 04:38:44 PM

More likely it's already being utilized and whatever you read in that article is news from decades ago.

If you think that the greatest current technological advancements of the present are made available to the public, think again.

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 05:32:15 PM

In my opinion the more pressing issue is the steady decline in the number of actual nodes in the Bitcoin network looking less and less like the resilient decentralized bittorrent and more and more like an easy target for the government.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
gamer4156

Activity: 1008

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 10:26:50 PM

More likely it's already being utilized and whatever you read in that article is news from decades ago.

If you think that the greatest current technological advancements of the present are made available to the public, think again.

You believe that they currently have said computer operational and at their disposal??
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2012, 11:54:11 PM

Quantum computing is so far away from reality it is not an issue.  Quantum computing doesn't involve the equivalent of a a CPU yet.  It is more a series (very limited) of gates that can have states and hard coded processes only.  They are not programmable in the traditional sense.

doobadoo

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 02:33:20 AM

Quantum computing is so far away from reality it is not an issue.  Quantum computing doesn't involve the equivalent of a a CPU yet.  It is more a series (very limited) of gates that can have states and hard coded processes only.  They are not programmable in the traditional sense.

Isn't it possible to just up the encryption strength in future versions?  Wasn't the bitcoin protocol written at a high enough level that all it would take is a software update to move from 256 bit or whatever to 1024 bit?

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2012, 04:28:45 AM

uhm ... if this quantum combuter is 10^20 faster at solving the invers to your hasing function, you have a problem. Also please think of all the charged accounts that will not reallize they would need to act to protect their property. Getting the old coins to more secure addresseds requires human interaction ...

On the other hand I guess that some advance in techmology like this will help rediscover all those bitcoins lost due to accidentally deleted wallets. At some point more computing power will go into breaking the biggest stashes of old bitcoins than into securing the bitcoin network.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 04:47:05 AM

Remember quantum computers have a exponential engineering difficulty increase for every added qbit.

Building a quantum computer with 15 bit is (some factor above 1) harder than a 14bit one.
the thing that we are still working out is: "what is this factor."    Tongue

One off NP-Hard.
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 05:10:34 AM

As a researcher who often claims things and listens to claims of peers, all I can tell you: never trust a scientist. Long gone are the days of scientific method and integrity. There are solid facts and statistics showing that only 10-30% of published academic research can be reproduced. The morale of the story: be very reserved, and don't fall for it easily.

Here's an exercise for you: whenever faced with an article making grandiose, game-changing claims (curing cancer, developing new computing technologies, etc.) - make a note of it. Few years later, check on the status or even existence of these claims.

This. Do not trust something just because it is "peer reviewed", Peer reviewed is much better than nothing. There is no doubt it is 1000x better than listening to your neighbor or pizza guy. Even so, many researchers have no idea what they are doing or how to even analyze their data. Moreso even if you want to do that you do not have time due to publish/perish. All the folk publishing half-analyzed, half-controlled, filtered results get the publications, money, and jobs. Many who try to do it right get discouraged early. It is a culture problem. Personally, I am glad I have realized this early on.

Most of what is published (at least in the biomed field) is barely worth anything. You need to assess all the nearly worthless results together and then you may have something. One paper alone is like nothing.
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 05:13:55 AM

Also, I was talking about reading actual journal articles. If you get your science news via the media... you are probably worse than uninformed on most topics.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12899

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 05:48:47 AM

Isn't it possible to just up the encryption strength in future versions?  Wasn't the bitcoin protocol written at a high enough level that all it would take is a software update to move from 256 bit or whatever to 1024 bit?

Changing the crypto isn't backward-compatible, so everyone would have to upgrade. I don't think this would be too difficult, though.

Bitcoin's 256-bit ECDSA keys are really strong (equivalent to 3072-bit RSA keys in strength), and SHA-256 is still secure with quantum computers, so I don't see it being a problem in the near future. NIST and ECRYPT II say that Bitcoin's crypto is good until at least 2030.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
check_status

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 06:25:18 AM

From  http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/04/26/3489504.htm

Experts believe quantum computing is moving to a stage where it is so far out in front and performing such complex tasks it will be difficult to check if it is working accurately.

"They're not easily checked by a classical computer which opens a whole variety of problems," says Biercuk.
This might be a problem for things like "Quantum Computing Interstellar Navigation Systems."
"Missed it by that much."

"The central element is something like a millimetre in diameter, 300 atoms that are suspended in space," says Biercuk.

"But of course everything depends on a huge amount of technical infrastructure around it. There are vacuum chambers and pumps and lasers, and all of that takes up something like a room."
Hmmm...1mm quantum computer requires 1000 square feet of space. I guess the speed benefeits outway the space requirements.

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA
blablahblah

Activity: 775

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 12:00:38 PM

Quick! Ask it for the answer to the ultimate question! Cheesy
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2012, 05:40:29 PM

Hmmm...1mm quantum computer requires 1000 square feet of space. I guess the speed benefeits outway the space requirements.

If you get a universe packed with computers computing power for that, I'm pretty sure you are wrong. The quote "I think there is a worldwide market for maybe five computers" might finally come true Wink

ɃɃ
Mousepotato

Activity: 896

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 09:48:08 PM

Ships in 4-6 weeks.

Mousepotato
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030