Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:51:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoincard.org the killer app we have been waiting for?  (Read 5721 times)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 08:43:20 PM

Whats your call sign ?

That would permanently break my forum autonomy, so I'm going to decline.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 08:58:49 PM

You're displaying your ignorance on the topic.  GSM is a wideband commercial product not intended to mesh.  GSM cell phones have a practical range of about two kilometers, but that is to a very senitive celltower tranceiver. 

I live 6 KM from the nearest mast, but Im sure you are the expert.
That said,  you asked me to back up my claim of 1% chance to find another bitcoin user within 300m range, it turns out to be an average of 0,00051%  assuming ideal circumstances. I might be ignorant about radio technology, I do have a basic grasp of arithmetic. Do you?

matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2012, 09:03:12 PM

You're displaying your ignorance on the topic.  GSM is a wideband commercial product not intended to mesh.  GSM cell phones have a practical range of about two kilometers, but that is to a very senitive celltower tranceiver.

I live 6 KM from the nearest mast, but Im sure you are the expert.
That said,  you asked me to back up my claim of 1% chance to find another bitcoin user within 300m range, it turns out to be an average of 0,00051%  assuming ideal circumstances. I might be ignorant about radio technology, I do have a basic grasp of arithmetic. Do you?

The 2m band the cards operate on have much better propagation effects than the bands mobile phones operate on.  Also you are missing the point this is not just about BTC users and there will also be LOTS of stationary nodes too once the likes of Wall-Mart, Tesco and most other chains start issuing them as store/loyalty cards.  

P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 09:08:03 PM

The 2m band the cards operate on have much better propagation effects than the bands mobile phones operate on.

Thats not my point. Im going by their claimed performance. They say 100-300m, and Ive generously been using 300m. Are you saying in reality its 3Km?

Also you are missing the point this is not just about BTC users and there will be LOTS of stationary nodes too once the likes of Wall-Mart, Tesco and most other chains start issuing them as store/loyalty cards.  

That is my point. Its not going to be bitcoin users paying for these cards and creating a mesh. If this ever takes off, it will be those kinds of companies creating the infrastructure and giving out those cards for free.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 09:11:56 PM

Bottom line folks, advertising this as a stand-alone device but in reality requiring the operation of another physical node is downright retarded.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 09:45:21 PM

Bottom line folks, advertising this as a stand-alone device but in reality requiring the operation of another physical node is downright retarded.

It's neither 'retarded' nor deceptive.  The video advertises 'no supporting infrastructure' with a collapsing cell tower in the background.  Although it's not technically true, since a usb dongle attached to the back of a POS terminal or internet router is 'supporting infrastructure', the reality is that it doesn't depend upon commercial communications infrastructure.  It can mesh to extend it's practical communications ranges, although that's much more likely to involve privately owned dongles and the internet than not.  Still, your cell phone can't mesh at all, unless you have a rooted android phone with a running Serval client, and even then can't mesh more than 70 meters with no obstacles.  (I should know, I have actually done this)  If your city has a power outage, your cell towers' batteries die in three or less hours.  So not only can't you make a regular phone call, even though your cell phone is fine, you can't spend bitcoin with the guy standing next to you.  With a device that's capable of directly communicating with other devices sans infrastructure support would at least open up the possibility of bitcoin business transactions in meatspace where internet access is not a given.  Someone is going to do this, and if done well, the radio standard is going to stick, and more capable devices are going to come into existance that can act like a bitcoincard, a bitcoincard server, etc. 

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 09:48:11 PM

The 2m band the cards operate on have much better propagation effects than the bands mobile phones operate on.

Thats not my point. Im going by their claimed performance. They say 100-300m, and Ive generously been using 300m. Are you saying in reality its 3Km?

I think that you got that from me.  I said, if this card is based upon Dash7, a line of sight range of 2km is possible.  At least it's possible with a true line of sight and the owner holding the card above his head like shown in the video.
 Also you are missing the point this is not just about BTC users and there will be LOTS of stationary nodes too once the likes of Wall-Mart, Tesco and most other chains start issuing them as store/loyalty cards.  

That is my point. Its not going to be bitcoin users paying for these cards and creating a mesh. If this ever takes off, it will be those kinds of companies creating the infrastructure and giving out those cards for free.

So?

cuz0882

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 06:55:50 AM

I was thinking along with this device they should have a usb stick. One that acts like a node in the network also. This could give access to the block chain while increasing the size of the service area. It would be a rather large project but a server could link them all together that way as well.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: