Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:17:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: digitalindustry aka kolin evans busted on planning a scam  (Read 7405 times)
Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 11:54:25 AM

Why doesn't the admin bann this scammer? This is a clear evidence of his plans; there should be no place for such guys in here so i would say kick&bann the guy since he is a hero member too and can take advantage of that.

If we banned every member on Bitcointalk who was planning or plotting some get-rich-quick scheme, the place would be pretty empty. We have a trust system for a reason. Planning to do something and actually doing it are two different things.

His hero member account should be take off at least

+1 since with a hero account it's easier to trick people into scams. digitalindustry has caused a lot of trouble not just trying to scam, a bann would suite best so that he would have to post with his newbie account.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2014, 12:01:48 PM

Why doesn't the admin bann this scammer? This is a clear evidence of his plans; there should be no place for such guys in here so i would say kick&bann the guy since he is a hero member too and can take advantage of that.

unfortunately you are misunderstood :

I was planning on exposing a humorous ponzi scheme - but instead i just wrote a blog about it, the email is taken out of context of course.

http://kolinevans.wordpress.com/2014/07/31/cryptocurrency-to-cryptocurrency-ipos-are-a-completely-corrupt-deception-the-simple-technical-guide/

you can choose to believe whatever it is that makes you a happy person.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
darkota

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 12:05:47 PM

I was planning on exposing a humorous ponzi scheme - but instead i just wrote a blog about it, the email is taken out of context of course.

http://kolinevans.wordpress.com/2014/07/31/cryptocurrency-to-cryptocurrency-ipos-are-a-completely-corrupt-deception-the-simple-technical-guide/

Ok..So you're saying that you proposed a scamming event to take place to the Quark Mods/Devs on Reddit, but it was all for fun, to trick people into the scam, so they would realize it was a scam and not ever fall for a scam again?

With all honesty, that has to be the Stupidest excuse I have ever seen on Bitcointalk. You obviously attempted to do a real scam, but got called out and now you're making up Bullshit excuses. Nice job.
EndlessWin

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 12:14:47 PM

I must admit that after this thread the credibility of things he is willing to tell me are zero. But I doubt digitalindustry would be successful in his ponzi scheme as there is nothing new to the crypto currency world and if he tried he would fail.

I can tell a list of users here on the forum who has caused a lot of trouble from my point of view. digitalindustry is one of them, and the second one would be darkota  - I think I didn't surprise anyone with such statement. He is one of that users who write in a bold and use capital letters to attract attention and prove his words, that's better to use evidence to prove your point of view than write in a bold

tired of identical bitcoin forks? try out BCN - no ASICs, no transaction tracking https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=512747.0
Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 12:22:09 PM

If we banned every member on Bitcointalk who was planning or plotting some get-rich-quick scheme, the place would be pretty empty. We have a trust system for a reason. Planning to do something and actually doing it are two different things.

His hero member account should be take off at least

+1 since with a hero account it's easier to trick people into scams. digitalindustry has caused a lot of trouble not just trying to scam, a bann would suite best so that he would have to post with his newbie account.

This is what the reputation system is for. Sure, you could request the ban, but then I'm sure you'd need concrete proof that a scam has or was going to take place.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
reRaise (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 12:23:18 PM

Ok..So you're saying that you proposed a scamming event to take place to the Quark Mods/Devs on Reddit, but it was all for fun, to trick people into the scam, so they would realize it was a scam and not ever fall for a scam again?

With all honesty, that has to be the Stupidest excuse I have ever seen on Bitcointalk. You obviously attempted to do a real scam, but got called out and now you're making up Bullshit excuses. Nice job.

^ +1 he is just lying and his scam e-mail isn't even in his blog

and

http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/comments/2g023x/kolin_evans_has_finally_been_banned_from/
BitcoiNaked

Activity: 456
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 03:04:34 PM

^ +1 he is just lying and his scam e-mail isn't even in his blog

and

http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/comments/2g023x/kolin_evans_has_finally_been_banned_from/

Seems like the community has had it with him too and just saw his trust feedback, these morons shouldn't be allowed to have an account
Zzzack

Activity: 168

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 07:59:01 PM

is this true kolin  Huh

Producer
Garryashas

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 01:50:29 PM

Let's not pretend this isn't happening with almost every other new shitcoin that gets branded "the next big thing". Just a bunch of worthless penny stocks pumped by dumpers itching to make another wave of newbies bagholders.

"Doge Scheme" coins  Roll Eyes

On one hand, I can agree with you that that's a hypocrisy  to pretend every time there are a brand new coin that it's an innovative coin but, IMO, there can be some exceptions because if every new coin is a scam than why many people invest in it??
I think here is the same situation as it was in the wild west during the gold rush when people were looking for gold mines - there are a lot of coins but only a few of them would worth something and,maybe, could even fight with BTC

Half of it is caused by people bigging up the coin, knowing full well it's "just another coin", and the other half are comprised of those who genuinely buy into the premise. So one side dumps onto the bag holders. You see it time and time again. This is why long-dead coins end up with a strong core following, even after the price has hit rock-bottom. Only the faithful remain. The "traders" have already moved on to the next coin. Cycle continues.

Well, I still believe that there are some coins out of the circle and they are going to become more than BTC's surrogate , and my aim is try to guess what is that coin and invest in it in time.   
quarkfx

Activity: 396

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 08:10:46 PM
Last edit: September 28, 2014, 11:43:14 PM by quarkfx

Just a short add to the story:

The plan that Kolin outlined was indeed attempted to be carried out. In June there was a chat between some members of the core group - James, Adam, Julie, Vic and Max, Alphanuma probably someone else, this are the names that I remember. (Btw. in this chat Kolin claimed to own 1,000,000 QRK when he talked to James - while I don´t know if that is true, he certainly lied about his holdings, since he recently stated that he only owns 400,000 QRK. It could be more, it could be less, it doesn´t matter. He lies - that´s what matters).

The chat was meant to discuss merge mining. In the end of the meeting, people agreed on the following (summarized by Kolin):

1. Merge mining
2. it can be many currencies - as per Max an shake said
3. it could be one we make also

The reasons for this were presented to core members by Julie (the following parts are quoted from a mail on this issue by Julie):

a) to increase Quarks hashrate, increasing security of the network against a 51% attack. (...)
b) To potentially increase the value of Quark, as people will be fueled to know that something is being done to secure the network, and this should incentivize people to re-connect and contribute to the Quark Community (...)
c) To provide added funds to the Quark Foundation for infrastructure projects for Quark as well as provide continued developer engagement. (...)

(...)

[The proposed ideas include a] new coin created by Max Guevera, with a Quark algorithm and a longer term distribution. This coin will have some additional feature(s) that will hold value and interest new people to mine it and trade back and forth with Quark (and engage/bring back older investors as well)."

At this point a merge mining coin sounded like a good solution to some prevailing problems and people were all in all positive. I was more or less agnostic in the mid of June because I had to deal with more important personal issues and didn´t even follow all email threads that were hammering in at that time. In the meantime Vic, Adam and Kolin were planning to launch a coin. Vic later argued that he wanted to push things forward, so things wouldn´t get cought in buerocracy. He and Kolin contacted me to design a logo for the coin. Kolin contacted me the 10th of June, the comment included a note that all Quark members would be filled in eventually:

i'd like you to design the eventual logo - and if i have the ability i will pay you in the currency - i'd like to phase all the Quark members into this eventually.

I received a mail from Vic later:

Hey Peter - our coin is just about ready to launch, however we need a cool logo for it. The coin is debuting as "B9" - essentially 9 hash bitcoin. We need a 256x256 logo for it - is there any way do you think that you could whip something up? Doesn't have to be amazing or anything, just useable - it will be rebranded when officially integrated into Quark.

I thought that this was public record, so when I finished the logo I pushed it to Vic and Julie who only then found out that the launch was plotted silently. In fact the coin launch was botched. Few days later I had time to reread a discussion between Vic, Adam and Kolin. It turned out that they already launched a coin, however there was a misunderstanding: Vic announced publicly the involvement of Max and Adam (probably because he saw no reason to stay silent about that). The thread was named "B9 - The New Fairer-er Quark Preannounce -Release June13, 2014, 12:00am EST". Vic linked the thread on June 12 at 7:21 PM. From 9:48 AM on Kolin send the following mails:

HOLY SHIT VIC - CANCEL this project -

one minute later

Sorry guys i'm out - you wrote MAX and SHAKE in there man - shit - i should have done this ha ha omg -

again two minutes later

sorry guys for the work that will have to be done - but we have to make another one - otherwise i can't support this - - it will have to be B2 the second banana lol - i will make the ANN when i'm out of noobie prison

again one minute later

too late - it will have been cached - it can come right back at me - i'm out on this one - sorry guys -

then at 1:52 AM:

unless we are saying we created it for this purpose - i can't do it. otherwise i look like a liar -

After this reactions Vic deleted the thread at about 8:00 PM and Max stated: "Phew. Ok cool. Don't think anyone noticed."

The whole thing was reviewed by other core members. The approach was criticized heavily, particularly by Julie because it looked like a scam (even though it was told to be well intended). Why was there a silent plan: Kolin and Vic feared that if an official merge mining coin for Quark would be announced people would "rape mine" it and dump it as soon as possible. Kolin told Vic it would be better to either find a Quark algo coin where he and other involved individuals would control a large share of the coins (I remember they talked about BitQuark and rejected the idea because the developer who was interested had only comparatively small share) or create a new coin, announce it publicly so it would look like a legit start but create it in a way so that it would appear worthless and noone would mine it (you can see that already in Vics comment, that the Logo doesn´t  have to be something special. You can also see it in the way Mimiccoin was later carried out). In the latter case they would have only small competition in the early mining phase. After about 6 weeks they would announce that this coins would be merge mined with Quark. They expected that then many people would mine the coin. However, as a large initial share of several week of mining would be in control of them, they would be able to control the exchange rate for a while. It´s therefore funny that Kolin later stated that it would be ridiculous to attempt to control the price because 1st halving would only happen after 4 years. While this is true, it is also true that 4-6 week of mining this coin would have given all those who knew about the plan an unequal advantage and allow them to manipulate the price for at least some time. This was part of the plan.

It would be to hard to summarize all discussions that happened afterwards. In the end the merge mining idea wasn´t rejected but planned to be discussed with the community. In fact at the same time there was a discussion on bitcointalk about this very issue without anyone from the core group to have sparked this. However, even though there were serious criticism on a(nother) silent launch, Vic and Kolin launched the same coin branded as Mimiccoin and staged the whole thing as if there was a developer who talks like Hello Kitty (or rather like Kolin) & who agrees on merge mining with Quark.

I hope this outlines the shadyness of Kolin. I still believe in the integrity of Vic, even though I have no understanding of how he proceeded and I explained this in long mails to him. Vic had his own issues with Kolin and thought he was dumb - but he believed him to be an important link to Max. We found out later that Max knows very well that Kolin is a weirdo who is rather bugging Quark than helping, he simply doesn´t care (check the log of the last chat with Max, he states it explicitely). So I guess Vic fell as well for the image that Kolin had established over month and showed him as a somewhat important personality in the community. Nothing could be more far from truth.

If you have further questions on this issue, go ahead. I left the community and won´t come back but I still hope that it will succeed in a way given the hundreds of hours I invested in Quark.
Coinmama2014

Activity: 133

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 12:45:38 AM
Last edit: December 04, 2014, 01:45:40 AM by Coinmama2014

I have been away for a while from all the discussions on this forum, but QuarkFX has done a good job above summarizing what he knows- I will only add a few things--The discovery of Kolins article on "How Fraudsters operate" has been my inspiration for this post...

Kolin's many suggestions/comments prior to coming to the merge-mine discussion ALWAYS indicated that HIS MOTIVES lay in making money first for himself(and the insiders he would need to pull off his scams) at anyones expense, then supporting Quark secondarily( mainly for pump purposes). I say this because the quoted text in the OP included Kolin's initial suggestions on how to find and pump a dead coin (Mooncoin, CAPs and galaxycoin are the ones he suggested as good candidates) by getting a temporary dev (who would then of course abandon the coin once profits were made), and use the profits to buy/ pump Quark(then rinse & repeat). Kolin approached the members of the QuarkFoundation with the proposal to "work smarter, not harder" in order to make some money--and then the above discussions began.  

The other Quote in the OP toward the bottom(May 31, "the result is amazing" refers to the other proposal by Kolin to release a Quark family IPO where insiders(the Foundation) would issue the Quark family coins "Quark Synergy" in exchange for Quark payment which would go into addresses owned by us but anonymously shuffled by his wallet shuffling contact.

Unfortunately in the end Victor decided that it was more worthwhile to go with Kolin for a secretly launched  coin(for later rebranding/merge mining with Quark)--which of course meant going behind everyone's back AND despite any objections  about Kolin OR the appearance of a secretly launched coin looking like a scam (Kolin specifically stated that it was important to get a jumpstart on mining for a "mining monopoly" to help control price/dumping...)

More quotes from Digital Industry and how he operates here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241445.msg9586936#msg9586936

There is much more than this, but you get the point- His involvement in pumping and dumping coins at anyones expense is clear...

Quote from: DigitalIndustry
:
"I.e we buy it as worthless junk and sell it as more valuable worthless junk.

And we use every trick in the book and trust me being in this industry I know them all"

In any event, I am no longer involved in or trusting Quark or any of its projects, for the reasons above AND also having the recent confirmation that Quark has been a partnership between Max and Kolin from the beginning(having unexpected luck/success with the Bill Still bribe), AND also the Foundation (...manipulated/created by Kolin as well).

For all the honest people who genuinely believed in and defended Quark against allegations, invested countless hours and money into Quark- I know that some of this is very disappointing- As a person who falls into that category, including helping get the awesome mobile wallet created as well as supporting other projects with Quarkfx, silvermetal, quarkcheck, I was among the disappointed.

By the way, we were closer than anyone knew to getting at least one ATM with Quark support, so Digitalindustry pretty much shot himself in the foot there...

**Please note, Kolin has also written the following article, which is the equivalent of an arsonist writing about fire investigation (while claiming to be Fire Chief): http://www.coinspeaker.com/2014/11/06/cryptocurrency-fraud-part-1-identifying-ways-in-which-fraudsters-operate/
Please note also "Christian MacCauley" (https://twitter.com/CMacauley82) and other sockpuppets are there in full force, lol..

Additionally, he is involved currently in pumping Mooncoin, CAPs and has had a hand in many, many others(Digitalcoin, kopimicoin, HBN, Nybble, Coffeecoin/spoetacoin/perfectcoin(?)). This is his line of work, scamming people (pumping and dumping) for profit.

Digital Industry's previous alias, philipkdick: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=121013;sa=showPosts;start=80

Philipkdick/DigitalIndustry's previous forum (tipping CAPS to sockpuppets for posting): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=246886.msg2619233#msg2619233

http://www.digitalcurrencytalk.com/index.php/topic,11456.0.html?PHPSESSID=8558aokmu6klr0lkcpu6dv14t0

(cryptocurrency broker, phillipkdick and digitalindustry are all the same person, as are many many many others)

Coinmama: Kiss Kiss
quarkfx

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 01:03:26 PM

Interesting, I didn´t know about the forum but it´s obviously Kolin based on the crappy images.

The funny thing here is, that different to kopimi.com, another of his pages, this page is not anonymised, so it is possible to look up the owner and credentials:

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
   Domain Name: DIGITALCURRENCYTALK.COM
      Created on: 30-May-13
      Expires on: 30-May-14
      Last Updated on: 30-May-13

Registrant:
   Jeremy Wentz
   3305 Eastern Blvd
   York, Pennsylvania 17402
   United States

Administrative Contact:
      Wentz, Jeremy  cyberkiller6@comcast.net
      3305 Eastern Blvd
      York, Pennsylvania 17402
      United States

Technical Contact:
      3305 Eastern Blvd
      York, Pennsylvania 17402
      United States

Domain servers in listed order:
      NS1.DREAMHOST.COM
      NS2.DREAMHOST.COM
      NS3.DREAMHOST.COM

Jeremy Wentz has other pages registered there, however shows no relation to crypto. Look it up yourself.
quarkfx

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 11:00:04 PM

To keep you updated on shedding light into the scammy behaviour of "Kolin Evans" I sent this email to Bill Still. Bill Still received my mail as he immediately answered, asking for my origin. I keep you updated.

Dear Bill

when I went into cryptocurrencies the end of 2013 I read some articles on Quark and also saw several videos of yours where you talked to an individual that referred to himself as "Kolin Evans". From what you tell in your videos, he convinced you with some arguments about the cryptography of the currency and you eventually "bought in".

Over more than half a year I have been associated member of the Quark Foundation and created several artworks and videos for them. I eventually left due to misbehaviour of some other core members, including the head developer and the named individual (who btw. wasn´t even part of the Quark Foundation).

Now after more than a year, I am looking for answers to some questions. First off, I would like to know if you are still supporting and holding Quark since I noticed you are no longer posting a Quark address for donations and I know that you have been selling at least substantial parts of your Quarks even though you confirmed to be a long term holder. I know there were good reasons to do so, but still I would like to know your standpoint. Also I would like to go on record whether you bought all your Quark or were provided with free Quark and by whom. In your recent AMA you didn´t answer this question and we have plenty of indicators that Quarks were given to you for free.

In your first video on Quark with the person who calls himself "Kolin Evans" you refer to him as part of the development team, which he has never been part of. He commited to be a trader without any technical knowledge. Most people in Quark believed that "Kolin" had a strong relation to "Max Guevara" the main developer of Quark. Max himself rejected this in a public chat. I would like to point you out to more scammy behaviour of this individual and ask you to shed more light on this issue since you were in close contact with him.

One of your last videos on Quark I remember you refer to it as "solid as the rock of Gibraltar". It wasn´t. In fact Quark ahad a much stronger decrease in value than Bitcoin and many other cryptocurrencies over the last year. Mining power destabilized so the Foundation eventually looked for ways to provide incentives. "Kolin" was one of the forces who actively tried to scam money out of the whole endeavor. There is a lot of email proof for that. You won´t find all proof there, but https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=781954 is a good summary of what he plotted.

Doing some backchecks on "Kolin Evans" we found that he is a highly instable person who acts as if he was an economic expert, however he is mostly delusional in his analyses of which he is religiously convinced. One of his main methods is buying cheap crypto and then cheer them hard to make people buy them. He provably created a large ammount of sock puppets to bump and cheer his own threads. Now that he is no longer very active in Quark related threads because most of them are dead, he switched over to other coins like Mooncoin and Caps where he sings the same gospel.

I and many others wonder in which way you have been involved in this misbehaviour. You explicitely stated that you are not giving any investment advises but your "information" on Quark turned out to be based solely on the informations giving by the referred individual. If you were not involved in a scam, than I would be very grateful if you could describe how the contact with the individual was initiated and how you have been cheated into cheering for Quark.

I´d be grateful to hear your comments on this issue.

All the best,
nixon99

Activity: 637

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 11:13:10 AM

Can you give us the gist of Bill's reply? 
I've always found Bill to be a very well meaning and intentioned guy and your letter comes across as a bit angry and accusatory tonwards him.
koshgel
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 05:32:46 AM

Interesting, I didn´t know about the forum but it´s obviously Kolin based on the crappy images.

The funny thing here is, that different to kopimi.com, another of his pages, this page is not anonymised, so it is possible to look up the owner and credentials:

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
   Domain Name: DIGITALCURRENCYTALK.COM
      Created on: 30-May-13
      Expires on: 30-May-14
      Last Updated on: 30-May-13

Registrant:
   Jeremy Wentz
   3305 Eastern Blvd
   York, Pennsylvania 17402
   United States

Administrative Contact:
      3305 Eastern Blvd
      York, Pennsylvania 17402
      United States

Technical Contact:
      3305 Eastern Blvd
      York, Pennsylvania 17402
      United States

Domain servers in listed order:
      NS1.DREAMHOST.COM
      NS2.DREAMHOST.COM
      NS3.DREAMHOST.COM

Jeremy Wentz has other pages registered there, however shows no relation to crypto. Look it up yourself.

Giving poor old York, PA a bad reputation. Shame on you Jeremy Wentz
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: